General Category > General Discussion

Cardan Joint Turning In Carrier Bearing Inner Race

(1/5) > >>

Bill Havins:

I know I have seen this discussed before but I have been unable to find the earlier thread.

Judy and I were leaving the Post Office this afternoon (downtown with tall buildings lining streets) when the rear end of my '98 EV began to "howl." As I shifted into second and we gained speed the howl quit.  I quickly pulled to a stop and Judy leaned forward and said, "That was right under my right foot!"  Well, we all know what that means...  We made it home without any more "howling."  It's amazing how that sound echoed downtown!

I have just pulled everything apart and looked at the cardan joint; its bearings feel fine and seem to be well-greased.  The carrier bearing feels very stiff, but is not "notchy."  When I looked at the "slip fit" end of the cardan joint that rides in the inner race of the carrier bearing it showed obvious signs of having spun inside the race (discoloration suggestive of heating).

My initial thought is to replace the carrier bearing, but my concern is if the "slip-fit" end of the cardan joint is undersized this will happen again soon after the repair is done.

I would appreciate thoughts on what might be the better route to go with this repair.

Thanks!

Bill

Antietam Classic Cycle:
In that situation, I make rows of small peen marks around the u-joint where it goes into the carrier bearing (to make it fit tighter) and apply Loctite 609 during assembly.

Bill Havins:
Thanks, Charlie.  Should I be concerned that the carrier bearing is pretty "stiff" or tight?  It is a sealed bearing; they tend to be pretty stiff in my experience.

Antietam Classic Cycle:

--- Quote from: Bill Havins on January 24, 2015, 09:19:50 PM ---Thanks, Charlie.  Should I be concerned that the carrier bearing is pretty "stiff" or tight?  It is a sealed bearing; they tend to be pretty stiff in my experience.

--- End quote ---

Carrier bearings are inexpensive. I'd replace it.

Bill Havins:

Thanks, again, Charlie.  Will do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version