Author Topic: New parking passes required near the Dragon in Great Smoky Mountains NP  (Read 784 times)

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
Just a heads-up for anyone heading to East TN for riding near the Dragon.  Even if you’re only passing through, spending more than 15 minutes in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park now officially requires a vehicle-specific Park It Forward parking permit beginning March 1, 2023.  Not crazy expensive, but still something that is now required.

Link with details- https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/fees.htm

1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
Kinda torn on this...  NPS deff needs the money, they have been trimmed to the bone.. And greater accountability and control of the hordes that invade GSMNP has GOT to be a good thing.

On the other hand, a lot of people already treat GSMNP like a 'drive-thru' attraction, and any disincentive to actually get out of your car and explore the park and trails vs idling in the road or creeping along at walking speed while trying to spot a bear and never leaving your vehicle seems counterproductive.

I hope this somehow helps. At least they will be able to call in a tow or clear vehicles after 15min instead of waiting hours for people to wander back and move their cars.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Wonder how they will police this and wonder what the fine is if you don't have a valid sticker and stay parked 901 or more seconds? Wonder how durable these stickers are on a motorcycles windscreen? What if you have a bike with no windscreen?

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Navydad

• Hatchling
I'm in that area three or four times a year and pretty much saw this coming. I'm guilty of passing through as I am usually in route to somewhere else, but I would put up $5 if I wanted to play around in the park. During prime vacation times I don't go into the park and I wouldn't go to Gatlinburg if you paid me. Too many great roads and other things to see and do without going near that cesspool. Same goes for Cherokee.

Wildguzzi.com

Offline Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
One of the reasons that a permit is not required for day hiking or entry to GSMNP is some requirement that the public cemeteries located within it be accessible without a fee. I wonder if there's an exception to the parking pass for that, or how they're going to handle that issue.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
They regulate the traffic flow @ RMNP with permits also (rocky Mtn. NP) it's a good thing IMHO. No long traffic lines to get a cell photo of a chipmunk  :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline 2WheelsUp

• Hatchling
Agree with @NavyDad, we try hard not to go through the park except when we absolutely have to get to better motorcycle roads. Accidentally got sidetracked into Cades Cove one busy afternoon, it should be called Hades Cove, we finally took one of the gravel roads across the middle but still went through a couple hours of idle, stop/go traffic. Now days we spend almost all our time to the west of the park, stay at the Tapoco (which is getting pricey now like everything else). It's a perfect weekend getaway surrounded by great roads and low traffic particularly during the week. All that said, $5 isn't a big deal if I wanted to go hiking, they charge that and more at all the state parks and boat ramps in GA now.
Bruce Swan
1978 Moto Guzzi Lemans
1975 Norton Commando
1997 Ducati 748
2001 Harley Davidson Road King
2017 Ducati 939 SS

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Looks like no big deal.  15 minutes is plenty of time for a photo op and restroom break.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
A good reason to be somewhere else.....  DonG

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
I can’t see myself going to or through any place that needs passes to control traffic. I went cross country in ‘86 and one of my strongest memories is how friendly Tennessee was. I’ll bet there are miles and miles of quiet and beautiful roads to explore without the campers and minivans.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New parking passes required near the Dragon in Great Smoky Mountains NP
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 07:35:42 AM »
During prime vacation times I don't go into the park and I wouldn't go to Gatlinburg if you paid me. Too many great roads and other things to see and do without going near that cesspool. Same goes for Cherokee.

Yep.  You couldn't pay me to ride through a national park when school is out. Don't know which would blow a gasket first, me or the bike.

Offline Navydad

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 09:44:53 AM »
I can’t see myself going to or through any place that needs passes to control traffic. I went cross country in ‘86 and one of my strongest memories is how friendly Tennessee was. I’ll bet there are miles and miles of quiet and beautiful roads to explore without the campers and minivans.

There are great roads to be found in any state. Spent seven weeks on the road when I retired and racked up a bit over 7000 miles. less than 250 miles on a freeway. Found lots of interesting people and places. I prefer national parks in the off season, but off season gets shorter every year.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 10:09:37 AM »
Yosemite National Park requires a permit to enter during the summer season. The permit can only be gotter online. They limit the number that are issued. I have never been to this park and will probably never go. I don't do crowds well.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here