Author Topic: SW Motech Quick-Lock EVO Tankbag Mount for V7  (Read 3193 times)

Offline right_slide

• New Egg
SW Motech Quick-Lock EVO Tankbag Mount for V7
« on: April 13, 2015, 10:27:54 AM »
Has anyone tried to get one of SW Motech's tank ring to fit the V7? If so, which ring fits? I'm getting a bag for my other bike and so I'd like to be able to use it on my Guzzi.

Thanks,
Slide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: SW Motech Quick-Lock EVO Tankbag Mount for V7
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 03:24:47 PM »
I had one of these on my Breva 750 and loved it.  I let it go with the Breva when I sold it.  Unfortunately, SW Motech  doesn't have a tank ring for any of the 750cc MG's since the V7 Classic was introduced.  The V7 Classic and the present range of V7's use the same, 5-hole gas ring.  Most recently, I found that Hepco Becker had a similar setup except the bag mounts to the tank ring with two strong magnets and you just lift it off to remove it.............BUT, although they list a tank ring that is supposed to fit the Classic and the present models, it does not fit.  How do I know?  Moto Machine (the Hepco Becker distributor for the USA) has sent me two different rings and neither will fit.  They're way too small and look like rings for a Breva.  The package on the latest one says that it fits my V7 Classic and the V7 Stone, etc but it doesn't.  I've sent them pictures and they are trying to get it straightened out with Hepco Becker in Germany.  The last conversation that I had with one of the guys at Moto Machine didn't sound promising.  HB said that they had a V7 Classic in their shop and that's where they got the dimensions for the ring so Moto Machines sent them the pictures that I took with their tank ring sitting on top and it looked like a mouse on top of an elephant.  If they don't get it ironed out soon, they'll have to refund my money and I will have to return the bag that I also bought from them.  Too bad because I also like their system.
NO longer can ride

Offline right_slide

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 06:42:11 PM »
Thanks Jackson.

I may just have to take some measurements and see if they'll send me to someone who can something that fits. I have a magnetic tank bag, but it's probably the size of the entire tank....so I'd rather not use it on the V7 haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grigio Motociclista

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 09:22:46 AM »
  The V7 Classic and the present range of V7's use the same, 5-hole gas ring.  Most recently, I found that Hepco Becker had a similar setup except the bag mounts to the tank ring with two strong magnets and you just lift it off to remove it.............BUT, although they list a tank ring that is supposed to fit the Classic and the present models, it does not fit.  How do I know?  Moto Machine (the Hepco Becker distributor for the USA) has sent me two different rings and neither will fit.  They're way too small and look like rings for a Breva.  The package on the latest one says that it fits my V7 Classic and the V7 Stone, etc but it doesn't.

This is a little old but I got an H&B tank ring from Moto Machines that fits my 2016 V7 II Stone.

It's item # 506.012-5   and I'll show a pic with the H&B Street Tourer M for size.

They show a ring for metal tanks & one for plastic tanks.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 09:22:46 AM »

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 10:25:10 AM »
Bravo!  Moto Machines finally figured out the correct one to stock.............. .....or, HB finally made the correct one to fit the V7 Classic and forward models since they all use the same gas cap and bolt pattern.  Good news for those who want a quick release tank bag.
**Edit; I just went to their website and they're still totally confused re. the plastic tank/metal tank issue.  I had the SW Moto quick release bag (works very similar to the HB model) on my 2007 Breva that had a plastic tank and it had an entirely different bolt pattern than the V7 Classic & newer models of the V7.  The Moto Machines website is still showing the same INCORRECT picture of a Breva 750 gas cap (the flip up type) with an entirely different bolt pattern.  They're also showing the same part number (that you posted) as the one for the Breva as well as the V7 Classic & later models.  Frankly, I'm amazed that you got the correct one because the people working there are not the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree.  I sent a bunch of pictures as well as making several phone calls, describing when the tank changes were made. 
My V7 Classic (2010 model) has a plastic tank but it uses the identical gas ring & cap that all V7 Guzzis sold in the USA have used since the model change from Breva 750 to V7 Classic.
Again, I'm glad to see that you were able to get the right one but now that I see that they have the wrong part number still listed, I'm not going to go through the dog & pony show with them again.
Congrats on getting the right one for your bike.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:12:42 PM by jackson »
NO longer can ride

Grigio Motociclista

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 05:01:40 PM »
Thanks Jackson. I guess I lucked out, as far as the part. 

When I tried to take out the original 3 screws of the tank ring on the bike, the head was stripped on one and
I couldn't find anything to take that $%^# screw out.

Once I gave up and resigned to having to drill it out, which I really didn't want to do on a new bike as inept as I am with tools, I went inside and sulked for a while.

When my wife saw me she went into the garage, grabbed her bicycle tools and had it removed within a minute.

I guess I'll have her install any other accessories I get.

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 07:24:49 PM »
This is a little old but I got an H&B tank ring from Moto Machines that fits my 2016 V7 II Stone.

It's item # 506.012-5   and I'll show a pic with the H&B Street Tourer M for size.

They show a ring for metal tanks & one for plastic tanks.

Hey that's a really cool setup
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Grigio Motociclista

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 08:44:24 AM »
Hey that's a really cool setup

Thanks     I need a little room to carry stuff to & from work.  I tried a backpack and didn't like it too much.

I can't quite bring myself to put on side racks & bags. The bike looks so good without them.
With this set up I just have the tank ring & magnets (which come with plastic covers to dress them up a bit)
and that's all I've added.  I guess when I start riding longer rides I'll want more luggage but this is good
for now.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here