Author Topic: V7 rear caliper  (Read 341 times)

Online mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
V7 rear caliper
« on: March 21, 2023, 07:33:51 PM »
This may have been discussed before & i missed it . But the underslung rear brake caliper does seem to get an inordinate amount of road swarf accumulate in it . Why no drain holes ? Has anybody drilled any holes ? Sometimes I’m removing the caliper after a weekend rally & am amazed @ the accumulated debris after under 1kMi. Weekend of mixed riding conditions .

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: V7 rear caliper
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 07:53:20 PM »
Better spray it all down with lots of WD40 ;)
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 08:16:14 PM »
Grease the disc, that will draw the dust and debris away from the caliper… :grin:

Online mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 12:18:18 PM »
Both of those solutions also have the side benefit of extended brake pad life . The trade-off being reduced stopping ability . I just got done drilling & deburring 2 3/16 holes in the recessed areas on each side of the web that holds the anti-rattle spring in place . At least some of the stuff that builds up there may have an escape route . Also put speed bleeders in @ both ends . Bleeder @ the bottom , really !

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 12:18:18 PM »

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 02:31:26 PM »
You should still hose all of that down with WD40 to make sure the debris doesn’t stick around.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Online mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 06:58:20 AM »
Sorry Dirk , no slippery stuff near my pads or rotors . Next time it’s apart I’ll very probably put a good coating of high temp ceramic paint on the caliper bracket & caliper . All sliders & areas the pads contact the caliper usually get a very slight film of brake support lubricant .
It’s just a nasty environment for a caliper , were it located on the top or rear of the disc I’ bet it would stay cleaner longer . Thanks for your input .

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 07:01:04 AM »
All joking aside, maybe it's a difference in ambient conditions but I don't see a problem on the rear caliper of either of our bikes.

Granted they do get some schmutz on em, but not nearly enough for me to be concerned personally.

And I guess, I mean, I don't always even use the rear on them. I do for certain circumstances or HARD stops, but much of the time it's front only anyway.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 01:00:56 PM »
Yeah Kev I primarily use the front brake w/a slight assist from the rear when on asphalt . Many times there seems to be an interesting well groomed Dirt or hardpack road to explore . Also a few amigos live on such tracks . So I’m tempted to say “wonder where this one comes out ?” Usually it’s pretty cool , when it gets knarlly I”lol do a “crazy Ivan “ & find an alternate route . A couple of “Ice breaker”rides this spring Allowed A fair amount of road salt kinda stuff to build up in the recesses of the rear caliper . Even though I’d hose the bike off before putting it away .As i mentioned earlier I’ve added a pair of drains to the rear caliper . The next couple of weeks should be a decent Test to see what happens . There’s still quite a bit of sand & whatever out there . But when it’s sunny & above 40 ish deg. I’m trying to chew through the leash & go !

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 01:21:37 PM »
Yeah Kev I primarily use the front brake w/a slight assist from the rear when on asphalt . Many times there seems to be an interesting well groomed Dirt or hardpack road to explore . Also a few amigos live on such tracks . So I’m tempted to say “wonder where this one comes out ?” Usually it’s pretty cool , when it gets knarlly I”lol do a “crazy Ivan “ & find an alternate route . A couple of “Ice breaker”rides this spring Allowed A fair amount of road salt kinda stuff to build up in the recesses of the rear caliper . Even though I’d hose the bike off before putting it away .As i mentioned earlier I’ve added a pair of drains to the rear caliper . The next couple of weeks should be a decent Test to see what happens . There’s still quite a bit of sand & whatever out there . But when it’s sunny & above 40 ish deg. I’m trying to chew through the leash & go !

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here