Author Topic: NGC  (Read 1136 times)

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
NGC
« on: August 03, 2018, 10:00:25 AM »
Yellow Jackets are out and about. Be careful, warn your kids, be careful with your pets also.
Dogs will bite at them, causing their throats to swell. Keep some Benadryl handy.
IDK how to add the red NGC thingy, sorry
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:01:26 AM by yogidozer »

Offline sidmonsters

• Hatchling
Re: NGC
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 11:27:08 AM »
Sure enuf.  I seem to have a target on me--even with my mesh jacket on and zipped I have gotten zinged on that small bit of neck one of those little b--------s  can get to even with a full face helmet on.  I have mild allergies, so my go to is diphenhydramine (Benadryl), a cool shower, and an IPA.

For your dogs, however, bee sting swelling (face, usually, though hives and wheals on skin occasionally)--treat with 1mg/lb diphenhydramine orally (yup, way more than a human adult would take for any dog 30+ lbs).  It won't take the swelling down right away but will prevent further swelling and itching.  If your pet has any difficulty breathing, time to transport to a vet, but 99.9% of the time your dog ends up looking like a sharpei for 12-24 hours and that's the end of it.  Diphenhydramine can be repeated every 6-8 hrs if itchiness persists--very safe class of medications.
I am a DVM (not as smart as a breeder, but you can trust the above!)
Steve
I intend to live forever.  So far, so good....
2013 Stelvio NTX
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2007 Vespa 250ie

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 11:35:13 AM »
Sure enuf.  I seem to have a target on me--even with my mesh jacket on and zipped I have gotten zinged on that small bit of neck one of those little b--------s  can get to even with a full face helmet on.  I have mild allergies, so my go to is diphenhydramine (Benadryl), a cool shower, and an IPA.

For your dogs, however, bee sting swelling (face, usually, though hives and wheals on skin occasionally)--treat with 1mg/lb diphenhydramine orally (yup, way more than a human adult would take for any dog 30+ lbs).  It won't take the swelling down right away but will prevent further swelling and itching.  If your pet has any difficulty breathing, time to transport to a vet, but 99.9% of the time your dog ends up looking like a sharpei for 12-24 hours and that's the end of it.  Diphenhydramine can be repeated every 6-8 hrs if itchiness persists--very safe class of medications.
I am a DVM (not as smart as a breeder, but you can trust the above!)

Thanks for the expert advice!
I took my 3 dogs hiking on the AT, all of a sudden a cloud of yellow jackets surrounded us. I told the 2 younger boys to RUN, the older boy's running days are behind him, so I picked him up and ran. I got about a dozen hits, but was able to keep all but one off my buddy.
Nest was bigger than a basketball, under a trail map roofed sign thing.
Diphenhydramine is the same as Benadryl

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 11:35:53 AM by yogidozer »

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 11:40:11 AM »
Steve, please don't compare yourself to a breeder, to someone who has been involved in rescue/foster/shelters/animal control about 45 years, breeder is a filthy word!  :wink:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 11:40:11 AM »

Offline sidmonsters

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 11:47:02 AM »
That was done with a wink and a nod.... :evil:
I intend to live forever.  So far, so good....
2013 Stelvio NTX
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2007 Vespa 250ie

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 12:38:15 PM »
Adopted this stray dog one time that was part pit bull. She was with me when we went to pull out this old boat that had a partial bow cover. When I started moving it a bunch of yellow jackets came out from under the bow cover. My dog bit everyone of them out of the air. Never seemed to have negative effect from doing it. Made me sort of pause concerning pit bulls.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 03:51:12 PM »
I got stung 50 plus times once attempting to get a friend who got into a nest of them while horseback ridding, got thrown and broke his femor. He landed directly in the ground nest. My wife, son and I got stung dozens of times saving his like. I seldom curse but I hate those bastards. The next evening I dressed out in full ridding leathers, full helmet and leather gloves. I duck tales all locations which the BASTARDS could get in and got revenge. I brought 3 cans of hornet wasp spray, a shovel, quart of lighter fuel and sat right at the nest until every one of the BASTARDS returned home until dark. I killed every last one. I kept asking myself what with hundreds of acers of woods at their disposal woukd the miserable BASTARDS build their nest right next to the horse trail!!!

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 04:02:28 PM »
Adopted this stray dog one time that was part pit bull. She was with me when we went to pull out this old boat that had a partial bow cover. When I started moving it a bunch of yellow jackets came out from under the bow cover. My dog bit everyone of them out of the air. Never seemed to have negative effect from doing it. Made me sort of pause concerning pit bulls.
GliderJohn
Just like people dogs react differently to different things.
I don't get poison ivy, my brother does.
One of my dogs gets a very strong reaction to bees, one gets a mild reaction, the other one hardly notices them.
Biggest negative thing about Pits, comes from some of the people who own them. And that goes for every breed.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 08:37:11 AM »
I get stung pretty regular here on the farm. I don’t even swell up any more...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here