Author Topic: New tire ride...  (Read 4119 times)

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
New tire ride...
« on: March 07, 2015, 09:11:52 PM »
When I install new tires it has been my practice to run them for two heating and cooling cycles of ~ 50 miles each before I can trust that the mold release compound is sufficiently off the tire to lean the way I like to...

So, a blast straight up the 15 (as they say in CA) I usually dislike running up the slab but for this exercise, it works.

I needed fuel at about Vista and as I tooled through town to the Chevron I noticed this joint...  Good grub.

Tires are all scrubbed in, ready for another ride with the SoCal Guzzi-Philes...  ;D  Have fun out there.

Best,
Rob

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:57:05 PM by radguzzi »
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New tire ride...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 11:52:35 PM »
Pity I didn't see you on the 78 heading East toward Vista, Rob.  I had been lurking out behind Barona on my 03 Stone and was coming back to Oceanside around 12:30p.  Locked in 4th gear.  East of Rancho Bernardo on Highland Valley Rd I suddenly had no gearchange lever.  The clevis pin on the linkage to my Tarozzi rearsets had "gone away" and the lever just rotated downward.  Found a nail on the roadside and used it as a temporary pin which resulted in a lot of slop in the linkage, couldn't change down but could change up!  So, struggled over to the 15 in 2d gear and changed up to 4th for the ride home.  At my exit, I pulled over and manually shifted down to 2d and used that on the last 3-miles of surface streets. 

Whatever gets me home is all to the good.  Problem fixed 10 minutes after arriving home. 

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 07:28:02 AM »
Most manufacturers do not use mold release anymore nor have they for a long time. The break-in period is more to get you accustom to the new tire and its sharper profile. 
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 07:34:00 AM »
Those pins really do benefit from safety wiring. DAMHIKT
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 07:34:00 AM »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 08:26:14 AM »
Last year at Deals Gap I had my Yamaha DT100 with brand new Avon Roadriders.  I didn't hold back on the Dragon, and I think I noticed a small amount of chatter at severe lean angles for the first trip or two, down to the overlook and back.  On later rides I didn't notice any more chatter.  My conclusion was that maybe there's a small effect of some sort for the first few miles, but it's not much.  Those particular tires certainly weren't slippery at the beginning or anything like that.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 08:56:44 AM »
Whatever gets me home is all to the good.  Problem fixed 10 minutes after arriving home.  

Ralph

That is a great tale on how to get home, good deal Ralph.  BTW, I did take 78 back to 15.  

Most manufacturers do not use mold release anymore nor have they for a long time. The break-in period is more to get you accustom to the new tire and its sharper profile.  

They may not, I dunno...  The process makes me feel better.

I did take a slide once back in the day with one of the Hawk GTs.  I had just put a new rear tire on and went to a Scout meeting, leaned into one of my favorite, double fall line (pun intended) hills and the Hawk just slide out from under me.  My fault for diving in that aggressively that soon.  Thanks goodness it was a slow speed, in town speed limit slide.

Just for the record, the ME 880 is more round in profile than sharp...  at any rate, yes, different than the old tire that had worn tread and flatter in the center.

Matching tires are a great thing.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:58:39 AM by radguzzi »
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Bill Hagan

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 09:03:09 AM »

Not doubting that at all, but wondering when that changed.

Guzziknight here dropped his EV years ago within yards of leaving the dealer with new tires.  Made me a believer real quickly.

Again, without doubting this, have to say that my Norge's new MP3's felt, when installed last fall, "slick" all over.  Imagination?

And, "as we speak," my brother is at Riders Hill in Dahlonega getting new Avons for his C14; I was going to chat with him about "let's be careful out there" with those new (slimy) tires.  Not true now, huh?

Bill

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 09:39:37 AM »
And, "as we speak," my brother is at Riders Hill in Dahlonega getting new Avons for his C14; I was going to chat with him about "let's be careful out there" with those new (slimy) tires.  Not true now, huh?

Keep warning him Bill.

All tires use paraffins and/or waxes to protect the sidewalls from UV and ozone rot. As the tire flexes, those compounds work their way to the surface and protect the tire. If a tire is not flexed, they don't show up on the surface, and you get dry rot. When a tire is first molded, a lot of those compounds are on the surface, making it slick.

Believe what you want. I have experienced it, and I know people that have. Last summer I was sitting at the tire shop at RidersHill. A fellow came out and climbed onboard his KLR with new skins. When he went to ride off, he did this awesome unplanned doughnut and crash.
Blame it on mold release. Blame it on waxes. Or even blame it on the fact that new tires or 'smooth'. It sure isn't simply a matter of 'getting used to them'.

http://overlack.in.ua/files/1291886065.pdf
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:45:47 AM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 12:33:44 PM »
Only a few years back I couldn't get my go to choice of tire and needed one ASAP so the bike shop got me a Michelin Macanda, trailer bike home due to swmbo was too busy to give me a lift to get it. Rolled said bike from trailer, geared up and shot down my gravel drive like normal. When the rear tire hit the street during a hard left turn out of the drive the ass end passed me and down I went wondering what the f*** happened for a moment.
I'm a good rider and not proud to admit it but it happened and thankfully there as opposed to somewhere else. That tire kept getting little balls of rubber and felt slippery for the first 300 miles but finally broke in and was fine afterwards, remove it by 600-700 miles and gave it away. I'm a bit more cautious these days on new rubber!
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 01:38:55 PM »
hey I went riding last week and thought the handling was a little sluggish.  I checked the tire pressure and had 22 lb in front and 15 in the rear.  Aired them up to 36/40 and shazzam(!) handles like new tires.

;D :bike
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here