Author Topic: Anyone using Windows 10?  (Read 59114 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Anyone using Windows 10?
« on: August 11, 2015, 04:17:10 AM »
Good impressions or bad?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Anyone using Windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 06:10:52 AM »
Not here.  My wife & I really like Win 7/64 bit and I can troubleshoot & repair any issues that we've had over the long course of running Win7.  I'm just sitting back and watching for at least 6-8 months to see what people are saying about Win 10 before making the jump.  At my age, I could possibly just stay with Win 7 and forget the upgrade to 10.
NO longer can ride

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 06:24:20 AM »
I have it on a couple of machines now. I like it.
It 'feels' like a good balance between Win 7 and a more tablet like Win 8.1. I think people won't be as 'shocked' by it as they were when Win 8 came out and they refused to learn that.
If you don't have a touch screen, you don't get much benefit over Win 7. You get the new explorer called Edge. It is nice and fast.
If you aren't in a hurry, and you aren't wanting to play around, I would wait for more updates. For example, the tablet I put it on keeps waiting up from sleep mode and eating the battery. So I had to set it to hibernate instead of sleep. that works fine, but take a few extra seconds to wake up. I suspect it will take a few months to iron out such hiccups.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 06:25:17 AM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline EldoMike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 06:52:54 AM »
I have it on my laptop....I like it so far over the Windows 8 ......I think most people are saying if you have Windows 7 don't update...Windows 8 update for sure...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 06:52:54 AM »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 07:44:19 AM »
I would agree with that as well.  I updated my Win8 machine.  But, I think I'll leave the Win7 machines alone.

For me it is a big improvement over Win8, but, I am not working with touchscreens either.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Subdewd

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 07:46:48 AM »
doesn't support Windows Media Center so I'll pass
1975 Moto Guzzi 850T
1974 Yamaha RD 350

Offline jreagan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 08:17:54 AM »
doesn't support Windows Media Center so I'll pass

What do you use WMC for?  DVR ability?  Simple DVD playback?  Streaming across multiple devices?  There are solutions for each of those although all wrapped up in a single application.
"Loud Valves Save Lives"

2004 Triumph Bonneville T100
2006 Breva 1100 (red)
Nicholasville KY USA

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 08:20:09 AM »
I loaded it and then my desktop flickered off/on....and I was unable to click anything!    I'm back to 8.1 until I get my drivers in a row.

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 08:24:35 AM »
I'm running it on a windows 7 machine. A few early glitches but it seems to be okay.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 01:42:24 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I have Win 8.1 and don't like it.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline homebrew

• New Egg
  • New rider
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 01:50:36 PM »
I've got it.  So far I like it.  It's easy to configure the look and feel so that it looks and feels like XP.  :grin: And so far it seems very speedy.  In particular, booting up the computer is faster than it was in 8.1 and a lot faster than 7 or XP. 

It did take me the better part of an hour to reclaim some shred of my privacy from Microsoft, but sad to say these days that's a pretty minor annoyance -- most programs require reconfiguring upon installation to keep them from sending every shred of your information back to the mother ship and annoying you endlessly with notifications. Here's a guide that will help people with that for Win 10: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/

stormshearon

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »
If you are using 8.1, you might try Classic Shell - we use it at work and find it makes using 8.1 much more like 7, though you can change the settings to be more like Xp if you like

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 06:16:35 PM »
If you are using 8.1, you might try Classic Shell - we use it at work and find it makes using 8.1 much more like 7, though you can change the settings to be more like Xp if you like

:1:  I have done just this on my ultrabook nd it works fine. Really quite stable and unobtrusive. However- for doing real work I have win 7 on the company laptop.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 06:27:45 PM »
If you need to "fake out" the computer's OS in order to use it, you'd might as well get a mac.  They have to pretend they're PC's in order to get any work done, too.   :coffee:

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 07:20:17 PM »
Installed on my old Dell desktop and a Lenovo T410 laptop. The Desktop did not want to install until I removed Nortan Symantec 9 (which was supposed to be gone, went through the reg. still something there that makes Windows thinks it's still around) or if I installed wiping all apps and just leaving my data. So I tried that. Holy Moly what a mess up. Had to rejoin everything - meh - life is too short for this crap, I rolled it back to 7.

But, the laptop went fine (Symantec was removed with no issues), when she booted back up it had all my apps (not many as I have not had it that long and mostly Ham Radio stuff), kept my wall paper; looks like 7 for the most part.

The usual annoy things where MS puts stuff for nuts and bolts IT types; they like to move things around, bury stuff under a second or third mouse click - very annoying.

But it seems to run fine and I think I'll keep it on the laptop. Desktop will stay 7 until it dies.

Our day to day computers are Apple MacBook Pro's; but it's like the shop where I have a mix of metric and english tools. Use what you have to to get the job done. I have friends that keep saying I should go back to Linux; with so much Ham stuff that appears to be Linux based I may indeed end up doing that.  :boozing:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 12:48:21 PM »
I updated my Dell Latitude in the morning (here in Germany) of 29 July, and this went flawlessly. One driver did not work (of course that of my Logitech trackball), but they already had an according new version. The Win 7/Win 8 - Quadro - driver from NVidia did work, but they hat a Win 10 - driver (release version) one day later.
I came from Win 7 Pro 64, and all functions and data were there. Performance-wise I could not find a big difference, the machine was fast before. A big difference I saw in the way the new OS could handle the 2 Tb ESATA - external drive: for the first time fast and without any problems. And the look (businesslike, nearly bauhaus - style) is absolutely according my taste.
The settings are easily accessible now (too accessible for my taste...), but this is an OS everybody who can operate an Windows - PC will feel at home at once.

Microsoft should have done this four years ago. It can easily be seen that they now have listened to their customers. I have erased the older Win 7 - backup half an hour later.

My 17-years-old niece likewise updated her older Latitude two days later. She also encountered no problems.

Ah, yes, I forgot about the browsers: Edge I donīt like, there I prefer the Internet Explorer (which is still available, it only has no link into the Start menu). My main browser remains Pale Moon 64, my secondary browser (and E-Mail client) SeaMonkey.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 01:04:01 PM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

stormshearon

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 01:39:50 PM »
Classic Shell is not faking out the OS. Fact is that the only thing that was actually done to the start button and menus was to remove the registry settings for the most part. Classic shell is just basically putting those registry entries back for the most part.

Offline threebrits

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 01:51:08 PM »
I updated my laptop with no real issues.  I didn't keep any data or apps and did a more or less clean install from the ISO file.  One thing I did run into was I interrupted the install because I couldn't figure out what was taking so long to download when it wanted to "check for updates" first.  It was get updated device drivers and I had to go back an install them (or let windows install them later).  Patience would have been a blessing here.

Otherwise all is good.  I like it more than 8.1, but 8.1 isn't really that hard to use.  Not too impressed with Cortana, but then I haven't spent any time training the speech recognition.  It is worth taking some time in the installation and turning off the default feedback.  This will become more pervasive with app developers as they are pushing this feature to developers to be more involved in how their applications are actually used and what people really want.  This can be a positive thing (better apps and UI) - or it can be abused (intrusive advertising).

I will be more excited when the new Windows 10 Mobile platforms come out.  If the rumors hold true, that is where the big changes are.  Running any iOS or Android app, hooking your cell phone to a monitor and running it as desktop with a Bluetooth key board and mouse.
Todd

2013 V7R

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 04:27:09 PM »
I've done a bunch of pre-release tests with Win10, and I now have a dedicated Win10 platform (2-in-1 tablet hybrid, has touch screen, detachable keyboard, etc.). My main machines are still on Win7/8.1, Linux, bunch of other OSs.

I'll be testing GuzziDiag from the Win10 tablet as soon as my new Bluetooth OBDII device arrives, and will post my results in that thread. I've already posted in another thread about how to get some older apps to work if they have problems with Win10; note that what is no problem for one installation may be an issue for another that seems similar on the surface (and I don't mean the MS Surface!).
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

canuguzzi

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 04:55:14 PM »
I've done a bunch of pre-release tests with Win10, and I now have a dedicated Win10 platform (2-in-1 tablet hybrid, has touch screen, detachable keyboard, etc.). My main machines are still on Win7/8.1, Linux, bunch of other OSs.

I'll be testing GuzziDiag from the Win10 tablet as soon as my new Bluetooth OBDII device arrives, and will post my results in that thread. I've already posted in another thread about how to get some older apps to work if they have problems with Win10; note that what is no problem for one installation may be an issue for another that seems similar on the surface (and I don't mean the MS Surface!).

Guzzidiag  it will work just fine. That is for Windows 10 Enterprise Edition anyway but it should still work for the home users.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:00:49 PM by Norge Pilot »

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 05:00:10 PM »
No worries, it will work just fine.

I'm actually more concerned about the drivers for the connection than the GuzziDiag software - that's where most issues have arisen with the new OS.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

canuguzzi

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 05:06:40 PM »
I'm actually more concerned about the drivers for the connection than the GuzziDiag software - that's where most issues have arisen with the new OS.

I'm using it with BT, no issues. As with any computer or OS, there will always be some incompatibilities with certain hardware/software combinations but it works. So far on Panasonic Toughbooks, Fujitsu Laptop, Motion Computing Tablet and an bit long in the tooth Toshiba laptop and Dell Optiplex. BT on the mobile stuff, the Dell sits close enough to the parking to run the cable.

Now that I think about it, I have too much of this stuff.

canuguzzi

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 05:08:41 PM »
Addition: I'm not using the recommended BT device as I couldn't get the one Beetle mentioned. Using BAFX instead. Works like a champ.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 05:11:32 PM »
One frustration we have in marine computing is the incompatibility of usb -> serial converters with opsys.  This problem will be the same with the diag softwares.  What Prolific drivers/chipsets worked in XP won't work forward.  WIN7 works with that opsys only.  I expect we'll have to rebuy and reapply converters for win10.  It's not so bad with a $30 dongle, but it gets expensive and tedious when the little hocky puck GPS receivers are rendered obsolete.

Offline DucatiSSsp

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 05:25:16 PM »
Upgraded my Dell XPS Desktop the first day it was available.  Everything went smooth except for having to reinstall my video card drivers.
Wireless settings for my printer worked which surprised me.
One thing i don't like is that you cant use submenus/dropdown(?) on the start menu like 7 or xp to navigate.  You have to open a window and go from there.  Don't care for tiles. Be nice if there were more options for the start menu!
Been running smooth though for almost two weeks now..........just a matter of figuring out how some software guru thinks the average joe should operate their own computer. 
'05 Yamaha FJR1300
'01 Yamaha WR426F
'97 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i
'98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV

canuguzzi

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 07:34:36 PM »
Upgraded my Dell XPS Desktop the first day it was available.  Everything went smooth except for having to reinstall my video card drivers.
Wireless settings for my printer worked which surprised me.
One thing i don't like is that you cant use submenus/dropdown(?) on the start menu like 7 or xp to navigate.  You have to open a window and go from there.  Don't care for tiles. Be nice if there were more options for the start menu!
Been running smooth though for almost two weeks now..........just a matter of figuring out how some software guru thinks the average joe should operate their own computer.

You can get the submenus if you want them. They are disabled by default.

1. Get to your desktop and right click once and choose properties. It can be easy to swing the cursor over and not select what you want so go slow.
2. A new dialogue box comes up. Go to Smart Menu tab and then click customize and then enable submenus.

What happens is when you pause the mouse the contexual submenu will open up. Just hover the mouse, you won't have to click. Not super elegant but that might give you want you want.

Reminds me of Java menus but there it is.

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 07:58:44 PM »
no windows in my future.  I'm replying to this post using my ibook G4, OS 10.3.9   gettin' old and still doing it... just a lot slower on the internet. :rolleyes:

canuguzzi

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 08:20:42 PM »
no windows in my future.  I'm replying to this post using my ibook G4, OS 10.3.9   gettin' old and still doing it... just a lot slower on the internet. :rolleyes:

:huh:

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2015, 09:47:46 PM »

That's OK, I just feel sorry for you :D  :D  :D

Well, my Sony 'hacker' computer just failed to upgrade.  It had been upgraded a long time ago to Win7 Prof edition.  The std 10 upgrade just stopped and left it as is.  Not really upset as it runs fine.  It is my 'test' computer, ie, I test all my suspect programs on it first before using them on our other computers.  It is also my 'field' computer since I really don't care if it goes belly up.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 01:59:03 AM »
Install failed on my windows 7 laptop and I'm too lazy to look for a solution.  So I'll stick to my 7.
Other laptop has the 8.1.  I'll have a new try on that one in a couple of months.
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here