Author Topic: Announcing The San Diego GUZZI RALLY October 13-14 2017  (Read 60066 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Announcing The San Diego GUZZI RALLY October 13-14 2017
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2017, 11:32:41 PM »
I'm looking at coming in from PHX.  Tentative plans.  It's starting to look like I can't go to Datil.  :sad:  Always have to have an option.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2017, 07:46:28 AM »
The restaurant is good and large enough for our group.  The little grocery store in the same building as the restaurant and is stocked for campers with plenty of beer and water and snacks and food supplies.  We are going to have access to the club house with a kitchen. 
      Bill and I plan on doing a barbecue on Saturday evening at the club house.   There is a restaurant at the top of Palomar mountain and restaurant at the end of Mesa grande road at Santa Isabel.  Mesa Grande road a one twisty road that is a hoot.  No matter which way you ride from the resort your in for a treat road and food wise.   This area has enough twisty canyon and mountain roads to keep you entertained for at least 4 to 5 days.  You will not be bored I guarantee it.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :1: :1: :cool: :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2017, 10:58:34 AM »
This area has enough twisty canyon and mountain roads to keep you entertained for at least 4 to 5 days.  You will not be bored I guarantee it.

It's probably, overall, the best riding area in US.  Those who have ridden the area before or who were around to experience previous Guzzi rallies in the area will remember  :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:59:06 AM by Tusayan »

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2017, 12:57:24 PM »
So here's the latest update from the Norm .... I have rented lucky cabin #13, reputed to sleep up to seven.  I don't know how much snuggling that implies.

So I'm opening it up to people from out of state, beginning with [Chuck in Indiana] who is rumored to snore. I plan to get up five or six times during the night anyway, so anybody else who can sleep through a storm or sleeps in chapters can have a bunk.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2017, 12:57:24 PM »

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2017, 05:41:42 PM »
My favorites in that area are Julian, Sunrise Hwy, Hwy 94 along the Mexican border to Ocotillo wells,The S22 to Borrego springs, just depends on what kind of day trip you want to do.

Offline huklbery

• New Egg
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2017, 05:55:41 PM »
My favorites in that area are Julian, Sunrise Hwy, Hwy 94 along the Mexican border to Ocotillo wells,The S22 to Borrego springs, just depends on what kind of day trip you want to do.

Sunrise highway drop into Pine Valley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rufUQhYLPA

Offline richthib

• New Egg
  • Lifetime MGNOC #5
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2017, 09:14:42 PM »
My wife and I are interested coming from Phoenix. Both are lifetime MGNOC  members. Is this bunkhouse deal co-ed?  Are bunks single or double?  What is the costs?
13 Moto Guzzis since 1975  Currently 2014 California 1400 touring and 2014 V7 Special.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2017, 10:05:02 PM »
Richard and myself plus maybe Fay from PHX.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2017, 10:47:36 PM »
My wife and I are interested coming from Phoenix. Both are lifetime MGNOC  members. Is this bunkhouse deal co-ed?  Are bunks single or double?  What is the costs?

The studio units are $80 plus tax and have a queen bed and two singles.  That would work for a couple, I don't imagine your going to want to share with anyone else.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2017, 07:40:28 AM »
Studio cabin secured yesterday morning! God willing, Andy B. and I will be there Oct. 13-14-15! :thumb: :1: :cool:

We should be there around 12-noonish on Friday the 13th!!!  :shocked: :huh: :laugh: :grin: :wink:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:54:46 PM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2017, 08:04:15 AM »
So here's the latest update from the Norm .... I have rented lucky cabin #13, reputed to sleep up to seven.  I don't know how much snuggling that implies.

So I'm opening it up to people from out of state, beginning with [Chuck in Indiana] who is rumored to snore. I plan to get up five or six times during the night anyway, so anybody else who can sleep through a storm or sleeps in chapters can have a bunk.

I'm in for that.  :thumb: I'll bring extra ear plugs.  :evil:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2017, 10:14:14 AM »
So, when should I show up, Norm? (It'll be fun to meetcha, btw)

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2017, 01:24:46 PM »
I just got reminded that it's the same weekend as the Ironman Championships.  :tongue:

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2017, 01:49:29 PM »
So, when should I show up, Norm? (It'll be fun to meetcha, btw)

I'll be on site Friday morning, probably 9:00. If you pull into town earlier than that I have some living room carpet you can sleep on.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2017, 05:59:09 PM »
I'll be on site Friday morning, probably 9:00. If you pull into town earlier than that I have some living room carpet you can sleep on.
Ok, I'll head down from Redondo Beach Friday morning after traffic (ahem) clears out. Is there some way other than pounding the slab to get to the SD area?

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2017, 06:42:26 PM »
Ok, I'll head down from Redondo Beach Friday morning after traffic (ahem) clears out. Is there some way other than pounding the slab to get to the SD area?

Between Camp Pendleton and the forest reserve land around Santiago Peak, your options from one to the other are a bit limited.  You're heading from the NW towards the SE, and most of the roads don't run that way (other than 5, 15 and their offshoots). Somebody more local should have a better idea.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2017, 10:41:03 PM »
LA and OC = SLAB.

I just tried pasting a link with a special route in Google Maps, but it didn't take. You can go over Ortega Highway from I-5 to I-15.  There a bunch of other fun little roads after that, but if you're trying to make decent time and have a little fun in the middle, Ortega would do the job.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:44:18 PM by Scud »
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2017, 10:53:45 PM »
Take the 91 east, most of the am traffic will be westbound(usually). Take the 91 to the I-15 then south till you see the 78. Then to the lake. On a good day (no accidents) 1 hr to 1.5 hr. You can practice your filtering/lane splitting.

I know this is mostly slab (welcome to SoCal but FOR ME, its what I would do from the beech cities. The surface streets will be a bad way to go(solid urban sprawl) . Once down south you can get creative, sorta.

You should tap randown (you know him yes?) that is his backyard and he might offer a different plan.

Good luck!!

Or just run the 405 south to the 405/5 merger, then to the 78.

All freeway, but around here, there are no good street or rural route type roads to go more than a few miles, like to the store. You could do streets to get there from Redondo, but it would take many hours, I'd have to look at a map to figure it out. With normal traffic, the freeway is the best shot from Redondo. Even if it's a parking lot, it would still be my choice over streets.

I've got this inked in on my calendar, but things can change. I plan to be there. I'll bring my tent and a small cooler and make use of the food and store on site at least. If there is a bunkroom available to share when I get there, I'll pitch in on the cost. Not the first time I've been to a motorcycle get together at a fairground or the like and pitched a tent.

Sounds like fun, fun I could use right now to look forward to!
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2017, 11:22:54 PM »

Chuck
     The best route avoiding as much slab as possible from Redondo Beach is to take 405 south to 5 south to Ortega Hwy.  take the Ortega thru Lake Elsinore to 15 south to 79 south.  79 is a fun road once thru Temecula and winds thru the lower mountains over sunshine summit, warner springs to 76 where you turn right and go about 4 miles to the Lake Henshaw Resort. 

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2017, 06:32:57 AM »
Chuck
     The best route avoiding as much slab as possible from Redondo Beach is to take 405 south to 5 south to Ortega Hwy.  take the Ortega thru Lake Elsinore to 15 south to 79 south.  79 is a fun road once thru Temecula and winds thru the lower mountains over sunshine summit, warner springs to 76 where you turn right and go about 4 miles to the Lake Henshaw Resort.

Thanks for that. I've done some of that with Randown. Sounds like a plan.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

kirby1923

« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2017, 07:29:39 AM »
Chuck, be aware that allot of folks will be "taking" the Ortega  on a Fri, Sat, Sun, and that's everything from campers to strings of gold wings and HDs+++ ricky racers. Ha!
I figured you would just want to get down there while its cool (temp) and ride the area around where your going to stay.

My apologies for suggesting the boring slab route. Anyway you go I'm sure you will get to do some splitting (you have to stay in practice), and it will turn out to be an adventure just getting there.

Ah the masses......

:-)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2017, 07:37:11 AM »
Oh, yeah.. lane splitting is a wonderful thing.  :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2017, 01:34:58 PM »
Especially on a Friday of a 3 day weekend.  :thumb:  Literally playing in traffic.   :evil: 

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »
So here's the latest update from the Norm .... I have rented lucky cabin #13, reputed to sleep up to seven.  I don't know how much snuggling that implies. So I'm opening it up to people from out of state, beginning with [Chuck in Indiana] who is rumored to snore. I plan to get up five or six times during the night anyway, so anybody else who can sleep through a storm or sleeps in chapters can have a bunk.

The map says the grand palace has a queen bed, a sofa bed (aka torture rack, probably), and three single beds.

I'll take a single, Chuck gets his pick of the lot, and that leaves the balance open to anybody who asks. This is a one time offer, free of charge, no warranties are implied or expressed, all accommodations expected to be slightly more comfortable than the ground. Snoring is anticipated, earplugs available. I plan to be sedated ....

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2017, 04:16:41 PM »
Norm.. you're setting it up. You oughta get the queen. I'll take whatever's left over.  :cool:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2017, 04:44:52 PM »
Norm.. you're setting it up. You oughta get the queen. I'll take whatever's left over.  :cool:

I figure if I have a single I'm in less danger of having to snuggle with somebody who kicks or steals covers. You already got the snoring covered ...

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2017, 04:51:50 PM »
Oh, yeah.. lane splitting is a wonderful thing.  :thumb:

I did it for >5 years when I lived in NORCAL.  Never liked it...never got used to it...especially while moving....always freaked me out... :shocked: :huh: :rolleyes:  You really have to STAY ALERT >200% of the time!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

When traffic is completely STOPPED...different story.  It's what you get used to I guess.   Don't miss that dreadful super-slab traffic out there at all...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:56:11 PM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2017, 04:53:49 PM »
Chuck, be aware that allot of folks will be "taking" the Ortega  on a Fri, Sat, Sun, and that's everything from campers to strings of gold wings and HDs+++ ricky racers. Ha!
I figured you would just want to get down there while its cool (temp) and ride the area around where your going to stay.

My apologies for suggesting the boring slab route. Anyway you go I'm sure you will get to do some splitting (you have to stay in practice), and it will turn out to be an adventure just getting there.

Ah the masses......

This is true but if he is going east bound in the morning he will miss all of that.  Now if he doesn't go until the afternoon there will be more traffic.

:-)

kirby1923

« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2017, 05:28:09 PM »
I did it for >5 years when I lived in NORCAL.  Never liked it...never got used to it...especially while moving....always freaked me out... :shocked: :huh: :rolleyes:  You really have to STAY ALERT >200% of the time!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

When traffic is completely STOPPED...different story.  It's what you get used to I guess.   Don't miss that dreadful super-slab traffic out there at all...

I feel just the opposite. It a great test of your nerves, concentration and skills. Thankfully its condoned/legal in CA.(although I do it elsewhere when needed.)

Great practice for we that travel by moto in Europe and the UK (and may other places on the planet.

In fact in many places (including CA) you will have a hard time getting anywhere if you don't!

Now it you ride "whales " :-) it could be interesting.

cheers

BTW its when the traffic is almost stopped or very slow when I do the majority. CA rules "30 mph or less"
among other rules.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:31:54 PM by kirby1923 »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2017, 05:47:54 PM »
 :1: here.  Works in NYC.  Otherwise you'll get run over by a taxi.  No such thing as "defensive driving".

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here