Author Topic: Pods or Stock Box???  (Read 431 times)

Offline Vecchio Lupo

• Diplomatico Di Moto
  • Hatchling
  • "sounds like me"
Pods or Stock Box???
« on: January 29, 2023, 05:50:19 PM »
I almost hate to start this, but, as I get older I find that I have more and more faith in the engineers that designed something rather than the garage mad scientist that always seem to know better.  I am in the midst of unscrewing a neglected and misunderstood Convert that will be glorious.  My question is Should I fit the stock snorkel airbox/filter (which I have sourced) or put on pods like were on there when I disassembled (they crumbled to moldy foamy dust) ?

Now my square slides have these super cool long straight velocity stack extension things screwed into them. It looks like they will not work with the stock snorkel thing, am I wrong??? Also am I creating more frustration for myself? should I just get a nice set of pods and move on? My instinct say trust the engineers, but they were Italian and well , sometimes there are more than one way to skin a cat. What say you fellas?
Moto Guzzi "Going out of business since 1921"
Italian motorcycles are like Italian women,...sometimes they stab you for no reason.
RIP Harold "Dutch" Prattini ,...you taught me more than you know.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Pods or Stock Box???
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 07:22:35 PM »
I almost hate to start this, but, as I get older I find that I have more and more faith in the engineers that designed something rather than the garage mad scientist that always seem to know better.  I am in the midst of unscrewing a neglected and misunderstood Convert that will be glorious.  My question is Should I fit the stock snorkel airbox/filter (which I have sourced) or put on pods like were on there when I disassembled (they crumbled to moldy foamy dust) ?

Now my square slides have these super cool long straight velocity stack extension things screwed into them. It looks like they will not work with the stock snorkel thing, am I wrong??? Also am I creating more frustration for myself? should I just get a nice set of pods and move on? My instinct say trust the engineers, but they were Italian and well , sometimes there are more than one way to skin a cat. What say you fellas?

Common mod that is well accepted is to eliminate the stock box, run pods or k&n and a type 3breather.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 07:36:20 PM »
If you're okay with disassembling half the motorcycle to replace the air filter, then use the original airbox. There will be a lot less intake "honk". The "air inlet tubes" will fit into the rubber plenum.

I didn't like taking half the bike apart, so used K&N pods and a "Le Mans" style breather. There are times when I wish there was a lot less intake noise.
Charlie

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 07:39:57 PM »
Keep the threaded inserts / velocity stacks. K&N used to make a single filter with two snorkels to fit that generation Tonti dramed guzzi. That's what I would do.
https://www.amazon.com/MG-2640-Guzzi-Performance-Replacement-Filter/dp/B000E2CTN0
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 07:39:57 PM »

Offline Vecchio Lupo

• Diplomatico Di Moto
  • Hatchling
  • "sounds like me"
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 07:53:14 PM »
thanks for the link to the twin filter, I got one and problem solved.
Moto Guzzi "Going out of business since 1921"
Italian motorcycles are like Italian women,...sometimes they stab you for no reason.
RIP Harold "Dutch" Prattini ,...you taught me more than you know.

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 10:30:42 PM »
I love the honk.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 01:45:42 AM »
I did what Charlie recommended, as far as the K&N, and V7 sport breather. Much nicer,and cleaner setup. Yeah, she "honks" when you goose it, but thats okay, I can live with it. The intake honk, along with the rumble from the Alphabets headers mufflers, sounds strong, with a deep "basso profundo"!
Rick
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 01:48:11 AM by bigbikerrick »
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 05:15:48 PM »
You should really stick with the genius designed factory air filter system, that way you could appreciate how well designed that system really is. Like some things on Guzzi's, the original design was overridden by the accounting department or time constraints and piss poor designs are the result.
Like the T-shirt says:
Designed and built in Italy
Perfected in my Garage.        DonG

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here