Author Topic: Mechanics 101 the Ripple Effect a Rant Lol  (Read 1874 times)

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
Mechanics 101 the Ripple Effect a Rant Lol
« on: May 23, 2019, 05:28:57 PM »
     There's a thread going on right now in regards to picking up a deal a beautiful used Griso. Part of the discussion touched on buying a well owned used bike, I even jumped in and bragged about my well owned Griso, I spoke too quickly lol.

A couple of weeks ago, I fired up guzzidiag on aa little laptop and with my new Lonelec cables, laptop loaded to the hilt with some of Beetle's black magic voodoo & instructions and armed with my home made manometer; petrified as I was I dove in.

Once I remembered to load the cable drivers and could actually see my ECU,,, the whole TPS, high speed/idle balance tuneup went slick as sh*t through a goose(pun intended lol)

That super competent high tech mechanic glow I had going on, didn't last long,lol

I've got every possible oil filter wrench known to man,,, even found a Snap On strap wrench in my arsenal,,, but despite my best efforts,,, I couldn't get the 76 mm 8 flute oil filter tight enough to stop leaking,,, buried up inside the sump, no way, I could get any pay on it,,, ordered the nice fancy oil filter wrench from Harpers, it just arrived, filter is tight and should be leak free.

Now time to get back to the rest of the spring tuneup, including new rear brake pads,,, as soon as I turned the bolts for the rear caliper mounts I knew I was in trouble,,, one of them was really rough coming out,,, managed to get them out without breaking them,,, but one of the bolts and the female mounting threads on the caliper were completely knackered. I know the previous owner had it on and off many times fixing the speed sensor issue, no anti seize and one of the bolts was obviously cross threaded.

I broke out my brand new tap and die set,,, and with some diesel fuel/30w oil cutting fluid,,, did my best Chuck imitation,,, the bolt and caliper haven't been mounted yet,,, but the threads both look good, I almost impressed myself.

Very funny looking pin holding the pads in place,,, I guess the previous owner felt if you didn't need threads on the caliper mount,,, why bother with a circlip/cotter pin on the pad securing pin,lol.

The spring I could partially see under the pads in the caliper that seemed so secure,,, naturally jumped out of position as I levered the pads out.

I can now officially state there are absolutely no pictures on the world wide web that show how that spring goes in,,,lol.

From looking at the wear marks on the pads,,, I think I've got the spring in correctly now.

I love getting deals on used bikes,,, but I sincerely hope I don't find anymore gremlins as I work my way through this thing ;~)

Rant officially over

Ride safe and often

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
Re: Mechanics 101 the Ripple Effect a Rant Lol
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 05:40:57 PM »
Sounds like an absolutely normal day in the garage to me...nothing better than working on a beautiful Griso!

:grin: :grin:
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 06:38:20 PM »
     I have to hand it to Brembo on this rear caliper,,, none of that sissy 6 or 7 mm bleeder screws that match the wrenches in my box,,, let's go for the really good 6.5 mm

Thank god for crescent wrenches,lol.

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Litre1000

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 07:22:08 PM »
See....? That’s why I can’t imagine passing up on a NEW machine. Being a Master Tech and owning a power sports repair business, I see no other option.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 07:22:08 PM »

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 07:58:28 PM »
     Well my thread repair on the bolt and rear caliper mount worked well, it's all back together solid.

I love the hand guards that are on the bike, I think they're probably off a Stelvio, great for keeping my hands warm,dry and deflecting large bugs&small birds, and I've just discovered as an added bonus they make excellent anti-theft deterrents for the cover caps on the hydraulic reservoirs for the front brake and clutch,,, no one is going to steal those suckers ;~)
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 08:23:53 PM »

I've just discovered as an added bonus they make excellent anti-theft deterrents for the cover caps on the hydraulic reservoirs for the front brake and clutch,,, no one is going to steal those suckers ;~)

Yeah, I read on the Internet there's a HUGE demand for those :evil:

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Online nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 09:00:29 PM »

Yeah, I read on the Internet there's a HUGE demand for those :evil:

Paul B :boozing:

That, and left-handed Crescent wrenches.  I have to lock my toolbox every time I leave my shop to make sure mine don't go missing.    :grin:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:20:01 PM by nc43bsa »
1990 MilleGT

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 11:10:26 AM »
Do a net search for left handed Crescent wrench. You might be surprised.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 01:41:04 AM »
     I was glad I flushed out the brakes and clutch fluid,,, the clutch fluid wasn't as bad as I was expecting still looked nice and clear,,, but like others have noted, the very first bit of fluid flushed out, had a lot of black debris 6-8 pieces, not sure why it happens, but it seems to be a well known issue, glad the bits are out of the lines.

Well I figured out why the circlip was missing on the rear caliper pin holding the pads in, they're special "spring loaded clips", I picked up 4 tiny cotter pins at Ottawa Fastener today. The way they were refusing to go and "springing" into the shadows of my garage never to be seen again,,, I should have bought a dozen,lol.

Took the Griso for a short 20 mile ride to warm up the tranny & dif fluid, it is a beautiful road bike. The balance TPS tune up felt great, but my stepper motor flush/lube didn't eliminate the hanging high idle once warm,,, oh well, I do pretty well all of my riding in the back hills, it's not that big a deal.

When I drained the fluids all of the caps  & drain plugs came out easy, but you could tell on the tranny plug, the PO had previously used a Torx instead of an Allen wrench, thankfully it was just dinged up, not completely stripped. Hoping that's it for the bodges.

First time I've ever done fluids on a six speed CARC, let it drain hot, vertical on a stand for an hour, and there was still no way, I was able to get all of the recommended 500ml in tranny & 380ml in the dif, I let it find it's own level to the holes, hope that's kosher.

I had picked up a nice stainless steel step clamp to seal up the loosey exhaust joint where the GT muffler pipe joins the crossover, but the hardware on the wide step clamp was so big and heavy, I couldn't justify clamping that monster on, down in the bottom  of my bike, hopefully the exhaust leak is far enough along downstream it's not hurting the running, doesn't seem to be.

Could the exhaust leak be the cause of the high idle? Just thinking out loud.

Glad I was rooting around down there, found the drain line from the airbox melted on top of the exhaust, trimmed it up, the plug was still good and relocated it.

Looking forward to putting some serious miles on it this summer, now that the Griso is tuned up I'm anxious to try the TPS and balance on the CalVin, she's been feeling a little raggedy down low.

Ride safe and often

Kelly

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 01:42:48 AM »
Sounds like an absolutely normal day in the garage to me...nothing better than working on a beautiful Griso!

:grin: :grin:

After the short ride today, I agree with you!
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 01:57:07 AM »
See....? That’s why I can’t imagine passing up on a NEW machine. Being a Master Tech and owning a power sports repair business, I see no other option.

I can't argue that it's nice to have a bike that hasn't been buggered up, I've been thinking about some of the few remaining NOS Grisos & Stelvios,,, realized it's been 40 years since I treated myself to a new bike. The only brand new bikes I ever bought were both 1978 Yamahas,  XS1100 and IT400, all the rest have been used.

At this point to get me to spring for a new bike and eat the massive instant depreciation, it would have to be a special bike that hit's all the right buttons, as much as I love the guzzis I haven't found it yet, Stelvio is too heavy and high, not enough wind protection on the Griso, and too much maintenance interfering plastic on the Norge,,, although there is a gorgeous looking older red Norge for sale locally,,, but I digress ;~)

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here