Author Topic: Calvin Tail Light Fix?  (Read 1683 times)

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
Calvin Tail Light Fix?
« on: June 18, 2017, 09:20:34 PM »

online gif hosting

It was bound to happen, both the DR650 and the Calvin have been running like tops and I've been putting mileage on at a torrid pace so far this year,,, but the well known, dreaded tail light problem on my Calvin has reared it's ugly head.

I have been keeping a close eye on the tail light and it's been fine up until now 18K,,, my last big ride up the Ottawa Valley, I rode the entire Opeongo Rd back, it included about 5-10 miles of dirt road on the upper end,,, that must have been rough enough to crack the tail light bracket. I noticed it today when I was wiping the bug splatter off the bike.

Luckily the bracket is still in one piece, but cracked and bent,,, I suppose it's wishful thinking that it will still be in one piece, if I try to bend it back straight doing a McGyver repair,,lol.

I've read the fix involving a Model A retro car light & plate bracket,,, but that fix involves a lot of down time for me(up in Canada) in the middle of my relatively short riding season.

I was looking at the bracket and thought if I made up a right angle support bracket out of pre bent scrap metal,(sand, drilled and painted), slid it underneath and behind the original bracket and used longer screws, it might be a reasonable quick fix,,,, any thoughts or similar repairs?

Has anybody with a similar problem come up with a better cheap quick fix? tia.

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

elvisboy77

Re: Calvin Tail Light Fix?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 09:35:35 PM »
I am pretty sure someone here posted a cool fix.  Very early on, I took a piece of heater hose and jammed it between the lamp holder and the bottom of the bracket.  No vibration, no failure.  Sorry if its too late for that.

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 10:59:17 PM »
I am pretty sure someone here posted a cool fix.  Very early on, I took a piece of heater hose and jammed it between the lamp holder and the bottom of the bracket.  No vibration, no failure.  Sorry if its too late for that.

I wondered if there was a bandaid I could have put on,,, I think you've come up with a good one,,, depending how I tackle the repair, I may incorporate a piece of heater hose to ward off future problems,, tks very much.

I'm searching through Amazon trying to find the right Duolamp light and bracket combo, just in case I have to order parts from the states,,, I'm hoping to come up with an easier fix.

tks

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:07:38 AM »
I'd link to my old post but can't seem to successfully navigate the "new" search system.

Here're a couple of crappy pics of what has worked very well for me for years now since mine broke about 8 years ago.

Had some sheet laying around - seems like 18 ga - but you can pick up a piece most anywhere. Disassembled the unit, used the old mount to build upon. You can see the old, stylish and sadly spindly original in each of the photos.

Found the triangle shape that I liked with a piece of manila folder as a pattern.

Cut, bend, sand, a quick weld bead or three, drilled through the original holes, painted and remounted. If you don't weld, taking the pieces to any-old shop with them clamped together should cost next to nothing.

Dammit! Can't add photos anymore along with being clueless at searching.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:07:38 AM »

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 09:30:16 AM »
Is your bracket the old shape? The newer shaped bracket has a wider base.
Newer shape, on the left, has been fine for about  35k.
-the old one broke even after repairs.

Circa 2011:

Edit: circa 2007
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:33:13 AM by Steph »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 10:36:24 AM »
I wonder who is the rocket scientist that designed this piece? Did they promote Luigi to design??

That's awful.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 11:24:50 AM »
A replacement isn't cheap. I would check if it was the improved part prior to purchase...

https://www.harpermoto.com/product-30401.html

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 12:29:12 PM »
I had a CAD drawing ready to go to the laser cutter which pretty much duplicated the revised bracket. I ordered one from Harper with no idea if it would be revised or not. It was. Should be good to go.

I can't justify laser cut and powder coat (PC myself) when I can buy one for a few bucks more.

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 03:38:27 PM »

anonymous picture share sites

I checked with my local dealer, who frankly are a bunch of idiots,,, I've only orderred gaskets and maintenance items from them,,, they've yet to get an order right and in a timely fashion,,, you can tell they hate the MG brand,,,, anyways the long and the short of it is,,, that new bracket alone is $200 Canadian,,,, no guarantee or indication that it will be the improved version with the trianglular side supports introduced in 2009,,,, and the kicker is 2-3 weeks delivery time,,, and they're always late.

I agree with Chuck on the p*ss p**r engineering,,,, what an over engineered piece of crap,,, the license plate holder,,,, plate holder bracket,,, side reflector assembly,,, light support bracket,,, turn signals,,, the tail light itself,,,, all goes together like a rubics cube,,, and my thoughts of a simple McGyver fix are going up in smoke,,,, the main bracket itself has 3 fastenings to work with mounting it on the welded support bracket to the fender,,,, but 2 of the 3 main fastenings aren't nuts and bolts,,,, they are some type of thick mounting stud encased in big rubber grommets secured with circlips,,,, aaarrggghhh!

I've been on overdrive trying to locate all the parts for doing a Duolamp Model A conversion,,, it's a mightmare on Amazon, because the necessary parts aren't linked,,, you apparently need the light,,, licence bracket,,, cover to hide the wiring,,, then tubes? to cover the wiring?,,,, I've located a couple of the pieces required but not all. Dicking with the wiring and playing around with the bulb wattage going this route to make it work,,, don't really impress me at this point.

If everything goes for a crap,,, and I end up ordering a new bracket from the US have there been any reported failures of the new design? Or is it a permanent fix?

If any US dealers happen to be reading this and you have a new improved one in stock,,, please speak up or pm me,,,, this is when I wish Harpers still had their toll free line,lol.

Tks for your thoughts and comments.

Kelly
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:16:08 PM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 06:28:21 PM »
A replacement isn't cheap. I would check if it was the improved part prior to purchase...

https://www.harpermoto.com/product-30401.html
      Tks very much for that link,,,

It isn't cheap, but even with the currency exchange/shipping,,, it will come to about the same cost as buying it locally,,, but I have much more confidence dealing with Curtis Harper, that I'll get a good part in a timely fashion,,, I spoke to him a little while ago and my order is in the works.

Tks

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 06:43:36 PM »
Is your bracket the old shape? The newer shaped bracket has a wider base.
Newer shape, on the left, has been fine for about  35k.
-the old one broke even after repairs.

Circa 2011:

Edit: circa 2007

Stephan,     Thank you very much for including that photo showing the new improved & old style bracket,,, I've forwarded that photo on to Curtis Harper at harpermoto.com, it will aid greatly in trying to get the right part as timely as possible.

I really appreciate everyone on this forum rising to the occasion, once again,,, I'm not riding the Calvin yet,,, but a solution is on the way.

Ps To any Calvin owners that happen to be reading this,,, words to the wise,,, I looked at my taillight many times thinking of different ways to prevent eventual failure,,, never thought of any,,, now I'm paying the piper,,,, I think Elvisboy as he mentions above, has come up with a winning solution,,,,

When it arrives and I install my new megabuck much improved tail light support bracket,,, the first thing I'm going to do is zip tie in a piece of coolant house under the light against the bracket, to aid in support and help kill the vibes/movement,,, it may not end up pretty, but hopefully the bracket will out live me,lol.

Tks very much to all

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here