Author Topic: Trans breather leaking  (Read 2856 times)

Offline 73eldorado

• Theres a fine line between tough and stupid
  • Hatchling
Trans breather leaking
« on: May 29, 2018, 09:06:20 PM »
Got a 1972 Eldo that’s leaking out of the breather hole, oil level checked on a level service. Should I run the level a little lower or drill and install a nipple to put a hose on it. What do all you old time Guzzists think is the best course of action.
1973 Eldorado
1981 Lemans
2006 Hayabusa
1978 Suzuki GS 1000
1997 Honda XR400

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Trans breather leaking
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:43:28 PM »
Got a 1972 Eldo that�s leaking out of the breather hole, oil level checked on a level service. Should I run the level a little lower or drill and install a nipple to put a hose on it. What do all you old time Guzzists think is the best course of action.

This ^^. That's the way the later 5 spds. were equipped.
http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=55&products_id=4348

BTW: I don't use the level plug. Drain thoroughly, then measure out the correct amount of gear oil and fill.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:46:09 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline 73eldorado

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:06:46 PM »
Thanks Charlie, you saved me again!! On the earlier Loop frame bikes did the owners just live with the breather oozing gear oil all over the place or did they just run a lower level? I know I would have to try something as there is two smells I hate, Deisel and Gear oil!!
1973 Eldorado
1981 Lemans
2006 Hayabusa
1978 Suzuki GS 1000
1997 Honda XR400

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 10:33:45 PM »
  there is two smells I hate, Deisel and Gear oil!!
But gotta love that whiff of 2 stroke smoke! mostly boats for me but I had a Kawasaki smoker as my first real street bike.. 

thread drift, I know..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 10:33:45 PM »

Offline 73eldorado

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 11:11:11 PM »
But gotta love that whiff of 2 stroke smoke! mostly boats for me but I had a Kawasaki smoker as my first real street bike.. 

thread drift, I know..
:1: you betcha!! A two stroke burning castor oil from back in the day is the s..t!! If someone made a candle that smelt like that I would have one going in the shop all the time👍
1973 Eldorado
1981 Lemans
2006 Hayabusa
1978 Suzuki GS 1000
1997 Honda XR400

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 08:49:43 AM »
Thanks Charlie, you saved me again!! On the earlier Loop frame bikes did the owners just live with the breather oozing gear oil all over the place or did they just run a lower level? I know I would have to try something as there is two smells I hate, Deisel and Gear oil!!

Oddly enough, 4 spds. with the same exact plug/vent don't leak, but the 5 spds. do. Some folks run 50 cc less (700 cc vs. 750), but most seem to have attached some sort of hose. I've seen all sorts of "shade-tree" methods of attaching a hose, some good, some not so much.
Charlie

Offline guzzimatic

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 09:54:35 AM »
As far as a candle that smells like a 2 stroke check out Flying Tiger motorcycles! I met Ryan at the Illinois Guzzi Rally and his shop has them,on the web...
big Jim Walker bikes:'08 Norge,02'DR650,'84LeMans III,,'78 honda cb750k,'78 BMW R100S,'77 Ducati 860GT ES,'77honda XR75, '76 GUZZI convert,'75 850T cafe[project],'75 RD350 yamaha,'74 NORTON commando,'72 750 Norton flattrack replica,'72 250 Rickman-Montesa,'72 XL250 Honda Mosport[first bike

Offline 73eldorado

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 10:03:56 AM »
As far as a candle that smells like a 2 stroke check out Flying Tiger motorcycles! I met Ryan at the Illinois Guzzi Rally and his shop has them,on the web...
Dream it and it will happen.......to funny🤣 I will check it out!!
1973 Eldorado
1981 Lemans
2006 Hayabusa
1978 Suzuki GS 1000
1997 Honda XR400

Offline 73eldorado

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 10:07:43 AM »
Oddly enough, 4 spds. with the same exact plug/vent don't leak, but the 5 spds. do. Some folks run 50 cc less (700 cc vs. 750), but most seem to have attached some sort of hose. I've seen all sorts of "shade-tree" methods of attaching a hose, some good, some not so much.
This bike HAS to leave the shop this weekend and the dog sled shipping company around here is very slow so I will see what I can come up with.
1973 Eldorado
1981 Lemans
2006 Hayabusa
1978 Suzuki GS 1000
1997 Honda XR400

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 10:14:39 AM »
This bike HAS to leave the shop this weekend and the dog sled shipping company around here is very slow so I will see what I can come up with.

It doesn't seem to hurt to run it 50 cc "low" and that stops the oozing. That would be the easiest/quickest "fix", but I'd still attach a hose and run the full 750 cc eventually.
Charlie

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 11:33:07 AM »
It's usual to attach a hose and have it go up a few inches and loop down. I can't remember if that trans breather has the rounded nose piece and spring underneath it so don't be surprised if it does. My memory thinks the original has a hole in the middle and the later ones had a nipple and hose. I think the hose one interchanges and the spring and rounded piece are the same. It rides in a slot in the shifter drum.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 12:20:53 PM »
It's usual to attach a hose and have it go up a few inches and loop down. I can't remember if that trans breather has the rounded nose piece and spring underneath it so don't be surprised if it does. My memory thinks the original has a hole in the middle and the later ones had a nipple and hose. I think the hose one interchanges and the spring and rounded piece are the same. It rides in a slot in the shifter drum.

Yes, the shift detent spring and plunger are behind it. Early ones had a plug with hole and later had a barb for a hose.
Charlie

Offline 73eldorado

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 01:52:14 PM »

Found that tiny brass nipple in my collection of goodies, 5mm thread and the hole is 3/32” went for a test ride seems to work properly. Thank for the help Charlie, your knowledge is greatly appreciated!!
1973 Eldorado
1981 Lemans
2006 Hayabusa
1978 Suzuki GS 1000
1997 Honda XR400

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 06:05:33 AM »
Nice razor work..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Rod

• Hatchling
    • My Rideouts Website
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 03:37:02 PM »

:1: My Eldo came from the previous owner with the hose, and it was going straight down like the oil breather. I wondered why it was constantly leaking a little. Then I saw Dave Richardson mentioned in Guzziology you need to route the hose up then down. Mine's like this, enough to let it breathe, but not leak.

1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 04:14:14 PM »
:1: My Eldo came from the previous owner with the hose, and it was going straight down like the oil breather. I wondered why it was constantly leaking a little. Then I saw Dave Richardson mentioned in Guzziology you need to route the hose up then down. Mine's like this, enough to let it breathe, but not leak.

I normally route the hose up to the frame's "backbone" and zip-tie it in place with just a slight downturn.
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here