Author Topic: Breva 1100 oil vapour recovery & foam fuel tank - service ?  (Read 575 times)

Offline Philnewbike

• New Egg
Hello All

I have managed to remove the fuel tank (thanks to tips on here: unplug fuel pump, turn engine over a few times to relive pressure, together push fuel pipe towards red connecter + push collar away from red connector, this make it possible to then slide the pipe away from the red connector and it very easy... don't force it :thumb:)

So now I've removed the airbox two things stand out: 1) The foam from under the tank is being sucked into the airbox  :shocked: and 2) there is a lot of oil in the airbox and around the vapour recovery thing.
Question: Is it safe to remove this (presumably) heat resistant foam? and should i removed the oil vapour recovery box (in the photo) and clean it somehow - seems to be sealed, does it drain back to crack case?? Spray it out with carb cleaner???
thank you!

PS Does anyone know what the unused plugs are for?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 05:34:17 AM by Philnewbike »
UK, stock 2005 Breva 1100

Offline Bill E.

• New Egg
Re: Breva 1100 oil vapour recovery & foam fuel tank - service ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 07:45:38 AM »
     I had the same problem on my Breva. I tried going without the insulation and when it was hot out and I filled the tank up, the gas would expand  and seep out of the gas cap.
I ended up going to a speed shop and got some aluminized stick on insulation used on race cars and customs. I scraped off the rest of the foam, and cut the new stuff to size. After that it' just peel and stick. It's been good for the last ten years. 

Offline Philnewbike

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 07:52:53 AM »
Good idea, I'll have a look what's available.
Any idea if the vapour catch tank thing ever needs emptying or is it sealed and drains to crank?
cheers!

Offline Bill E.

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 08:08:14 AM »
 Never had it off. If I find a little oil in the airbox It's usually cause I over filled the the oil change a little bit. center of the dipstick is best.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 08:08:14 AM »

Offline Bill E.

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 08:11:01 AM »
 I meant to say between the marks on the incredibly hard to read dipstick.

Offline Philnewbike

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 09:03:12 AM »
That's a good tip thanks. I suppose the oil vapour is supposed to be taken into the engine but I assumed any actual oil condensate would have to go somewhere??? E.g. drip back down into the crank, or otherwise be emptied periodically. But there is nothing in the manual or service booklet, so maybe not?

Offline Bill E.

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 09:52:58 AM »
   Pretty sure it condenses and drains back to the crankcase.

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 10:16:47 PM »
3/4 on my dipstick is fine ,zero oil in the air-box ever. It seems to hold at that level too.. 600 mile road trip yesterday, and right at the mark.. Having a dry sump V-2 Aprila does gets you clued on how to get the oil level where it should run at..

Offline Philnewbike

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 04:22:05 AM »
Thanks all.
having to stand the bike upright (off the centre stand) and remove a dip stick to check the oil is a bit of a faff... why didn't they just calibrate the dip stick so it's right on the stand? :violent1:
Does anyone know if checking oil level while on the stand affects the reading much?
cheers
p

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here