General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

Next (personal) project - Moto Morini 3 1/2 Strada

<< < (3/57) > >>

Antietam Classic Cycle:

--- Quote from: danomar on October 26, 2019, 04:01:06 PM ---It is a Sport. I can see the "S" at the right base of the front cylinder. The front mudguard is the short Sport version, and the steering damper confirms everything. The tank paint scheme seems like a 1978 or 1979 model.

It appears to be in very good condition overall, all things considered. Obviously, a new cam belt is the first thing to get. Wheel bearings and steering head bearings also should be checked. The rest will be a matter of cleaning and the usual replacements. The nice thing about Morinis is that the factory used top-shelf components for their day. They need very little to keep running well.

I would say that you got a very nice deal. Enjoy the restoration!

--- End quote ---

Not a Sport. There is no "S", just dirt.  :wink: The front mudguard has been bobbed - the edge is very rough. Steering dampers were o.e. on all 3 1/2 Morinis sold in the US, not just Sports.

The diamond pattern seat cover means this is pre-'78. Along with the "12/76" cast into the wheels, it's reasonable to assume that it's a '77.

This isn't my first Morini: I've owned three previously (500 Strada, '86 350 K2 and '85 350 K2). Finished restoration of a very early 3 1/2 Sport last year and am currently starting on the second one from the same customer.

I purchased the missing exhaust pipe half rings on ebay this morning and a timing belt is on my McMaster-Carr order. When time allows, I'll "go over" the engine and ignition system, rebuild the carbs, etc. and see if it'll run. The results of that will determine how quickly the "restoration" happens, but it will eventually be done. There's also the chance it might go a different, completely non-original direction. 

canuck750:

--- Quote from: Antietam Classic Cycle on October 25, 2019, 04:31:38 PM ---I hope you have lots of popcorn! Not much will happen for a while, although I might get it up on a lift soon and give the engine a once over and see if it'll run. Definitely will need a timing belt replacement and I'll want to check a long "laundry list" of items before the attempt. If it runs and doesn't make any "funny" noises, then it could happen a lot sooner.

--- End quote ---

Looking forward to hear how you make out with it.
I got back from my European motorcycle tour this week and a pair of re-sleeved Morini 500 cylinders from LA Sleeve were waiting for me.
I fitted the new pistons, rings and fitted the cylinders and heads back on today.
Should solve the low compression issue I had trying to save the old over bored cylinders and poorly fitted pistons and rings the previous owner fitted.

Antietam Classic Cycle:
I've collected a few parts, bought some and have more coming this week.

A couple of years ago I bought a new-old-stock Veglia speedometer on ebay for $60. It's been stored in a bin since then waiting a project that needed. It may not be the correct one for the Morini (no name on the face, only goes to 80 mph and has a tripmeter) but it's the correct ratio, so I'm using it.

I decided to use a Magura (V7 Sport) throttle I had in my stash, rather than spend the $$ for the correct Verlicchi one.

Found a good used horn and mounting bracket, bought the exhaust half-rings on ebay from Herdan Corp., and McMaster-Carr supplied the timing belt (same one that worked perfectly on my 350 K2).

I have an airbox coming, as well as a tach I just bought on ebay this evening. Chipping away at the list of needs...

ozarquebus:
Great find! Tank is probably worth 300 since it looks like a good cafe candidate.

Antietam Classic Cycle:
A few more parts have arrived. The tach I bought on ebay:

...and the airbox with elbows that Warren R. sent me:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version