General Category > General Discussion

I need to learn how to….

<< < (2/5) > >>

Huzo:
Just be prepared to feel utterly useless for quite a while..
Read “New and Improved Guzzidiag tutorial” over and over and over and……..etc
Get the CORRECT cables and good laptop, if you by some half arsed crap equipment, you’ll not know if the problem is you, or the hardware…

Just when you are beginning to know something you’ll encounter something new and you’ll know nothing again.
I absolutely bugged the crap out of Paul Brooking and Gonzo, without them I would probably have given up.

I still know nothing, but now I know what I don’t know, before this I wasn’t even aware what needed to be known.
You will make lots of mistakes and every time you go to do something, you’ll have forgotten how you did it last time, then it half gells again and off you stagger towards the next crisis.
I have learned to reset the TPS on the Norge and V85, check the CO trim on the Norge and check for current codes.
I had no chance loading a map into the 1200 Sport, but Christopher did that.
I am so hopeless, I spent all afternoon once trying to get my freaking V85 to hook up to Guzzidiag which I had successfully done before, only to fail over and over again.
Turned out I had the Norge selected instead of the ‘85…. :embarrassed:
All very humbling.
My biggest issue was that every person who tried to help me, wrongly thought he had gone back to the base of my knowlege, no one correctly ascertained how devoid of understanding I actually was……Pitiful.

Only read the bits of Beetle’s tutorial that apply to you, do not contaminate your knowlege with information about other bikes.
Practice…Practice…Practice…
Only use Guzzidiag Reader, do not go near Guzzidiag Writer until you really have some chops.
It took me at least a year, going from session to session, before I could conduct a conversation with my helpers.
Roper, Brooking, Gonzo.

You are not alone here and do not think that just because one member is great at one thing, he is therefore great at this.
Keep failing and asking questions…(not to me though, you’ll end up more confused…)
Bump the “New and Improved Guzzidiag Tutorial” thread and ask your questions there…..

I admire your honesty and candour.
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :bow: :thumb:

Motormike:
That's the problem with using diagnostic software on a bike. (With me, at least)  I'll do it once, muck around with it, watch YouTube vids, exchange posts with those far more knowledgeable than I until it all comes together, works and it does what I wanted.  Then I put the laptop and cables away for who knows how many months.  Then when the time comes to do it all again, I've completely forgotten how and have to start from scratch.  Ugh! 

Huzo:

--- Quote from: Perazzimx14 on May 20, 2022, 06:53:14 PM ---Far more value in learning and investing in tool for things like tire changes.

I cannot see if you are not self-sufficient in performing all tasks giving up on the bike. If you do might as well give up on motorcycling as most bikes out complex MG.

--- End quote ---
What the hell does that even mean?

Huzo:

--- Quote from: Motormike on May 20, 2022, 06:46:18 PM ---That's the problem with using diagnostic software on a bike. (With me, at least)  I'll do it once, muck around with it, watch YouTube vids, exchange posts with those far more knowledgeable than I until it all comes together, works and it does what I wanted.  Then I put the laptop and cables away for who knows how many months.  Then when the time comes to do it all again, I've completely forgotten how and have to start from scratch.  Ugh!

--- End quote ---
But that’s where you can make ground.
Even when things are good, go out and hook it up again and go through the motions.
Rehearse the process.
Here’s a plan..
Find someone who you know can perform the tasks you need and contact them here.
Pack the lap top and paraphernalia aboard the bike and go for a ride there. Go out for dinner at your expense and chat about the whole thing and ask him (or her), to perform the functions in your presence the following day while you watch.
When you get back home, your next attempt will feel more solid and you will have the benefit of knowing that it CAN be done.
I have/had a standing offer similar to this from Gonzo and Paul Brooking.

bobrebos:

--- Quote from: Perazzimx14 on May 20, 2022, 06:53:14 PM ---Far more value in learning and investing in tool for things like tire changes.

I cannot see if you are not self-sufficient in performing all tasks giving up on the bike. If you do might as well give up on motorcycling as most bikes out complex MG.

--- End quote ---

Good point!  Some things may be too hard for me to comprehend anyways, but I probably should give it a try anyways so I am not at the mercy of some dealership all the time for the electronic things! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version