General Category > General Discussion

? Silicone "Coating" in valve covers

(1/3) > >>


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Has anyone else seen a thick coating of what appears to be silicone or something similar ? What do you think it's for? My guess would be noise reduction or stopleak. Also, what is the rivet for in the middle of the valve cover? Thank you for any input.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Definitely a lame attempt to silence the tappets. 

That IS the Guzzi music!

Antietam Classic Cycle:
What Cam wrote. I'd remove it as soon as possible. No idea what the rivet was all about.

…or perhaps to hide/cover up a crack?

chuck peterson:
On a tangent to this…

Tomb is always quite proud of a set of valve covers from a company called Blake, if I recall..

A bit taller with additional finning, the inside was indeed layered with some heat/oil resistant thick coating (rubbery)  to reduce the tappet noise..


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version