Author Topic: Time to join the 21st century  (Read 868 times)

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
Time to join the 21st century
« on: December 08, 2023, 10:55:53 AM »
It's time I joined the 21st century again. I had a Breva 1100 a few years ago. Excellent bike.
So I just bought another now.
Sadly, I'll have to wait awhile before I can begin any new adventures.

Nick

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
Re: Time to join the 21st century
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 11:23:13 AM »
Congratulations, Nick.  Glad to see it safe & inside at home.  Having to wait until spring thaw to ride is a drag, but Loading and unloading nice bikes in the slippery snow is never any fun.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 11:48:34 AM »
Very nice Nick. You have some time now to go through it to make sure it will be ready for the road. Can't wait to see your first video out on the road with it. Don't neglect the Eldorado.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 01:13:11 PM »
I recently sold a 2006.  What year is your new one?
Meanwhile, the Breva has one element of nasty software and wiring design.  Evident because you just push the button and it starts.  No need to hold the button in.  Problem arises because the button doesn't actually control the starter motor directly.  Instead it triggers the computer and thereafter the computer decides to crank or not.  Small faults can easily generate a no-crank condition.  There is a solution to bypass this circuitry in an old school way.  You should read up on that bypass just so that you are prepared for the future.

Here is a four page report on the issue. 
https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=117948.0

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 01:13:11 PM »

Offline nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 02:03:21 PM »
Meanwhile, the Breva has one element of nasty software and wiring design.  Evident because you just push the button and it starts.  No need to hold the button in.  Problem arises because the button doesn't actually control the starter motor directly.  Instead it triggers the computer and thereafter the computer decides to crank or not.  Small faults can easily generate a no-crank condition.  There is a solution to bypass this circuitry in an old school way.  You should read up on that bypass just so that you are prepared for the future.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Thanks Patrick. This one is a 2007, just like the one I had a few years ago. I'll look into that issue.
Best wishes for Christmas, and stay well,

Nick

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 02:29:10 PM »
 :thumb:
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2023, 12:48:42 PM »
Meanwhile, the Breva has one element of nasty software and wiring design.  Evident because you just push the button and it starts.  No need to hold the button in.  Problem arises because the button doesn't actually control the starter motor directly.  Instead it triggers the computer and thereafter the computer decides to crank or not.  Small faults can easily generate a no-crank condition. 

Sounds exactly like the start system all Ducati's of that vintage used.  They called it the "start cycle."  Just push and release the starter button, and the ECU does the rest...you hope!  Actually, I had several that used it, and never had a bit of trouble with it.  Now the cold-start IAC (idle air control valve) that was another story!

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2023, 01:30:21 PM »
Meanwhile, the Breva has one element of nasty software and wiring design.  Evident because you just push the button and it starts.  No need to hold the button in.   There is a solution to bypass this circuitry in an old school way.  You should read up on that bypass just so that you are prepared for the future.

Hmmmm, I believe I've experienced this on my '07 Norge, so thanks for that link.

Congrats on the score, and what kind of saddlebag mounts are those?
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2023, 03:06:39 PM »
Good one Nick. How many miles (kilometres) has it done ?
It looks darn fresh, what’s the story with those footpegs ? They have piqued my interest.
Are you going to do the “grease everything” routine ? It may have been done, but well…You know.
The security of the pinion nut is a big one to cover as well, it’s a good thing to do because it enables the greasing of the drive line splines while you’re there.
Are you across the procedure for TB balance, TPS reset etc..?
How far South from your location would you have to go to get warmer conditions ? False logic I guess, because you have to ride back into it to get home again. I suppose you now have a good opportunity to do all the usual stuff that we need to cover.
I did a post on such stuff called “Norge service schedule”, I don’t hold it up as the be all and end all in definitive big block maintenance, but I’ve devised it over 15 years with my ‘07 Norge and I really think it covers everything conceivable.
I’ll bump it for you.
Huzo.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 03:16:51 PM by Huzo »

Offline nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2023, 03:24:46 PM »
Hmmmm, I believe I've experienced this on my '07 Norge, so thanks for that link.

Congrats on the score, and what kind of saddlebag mounts are those?

Thanks. They're Hepco-Becker - or so it says on the hard bags.

Nick

Offline nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2023, 03:33:53 PM »
Good one Nick. How many miles (kilometres) has it done ?
It looks darn fresh, what’s the story with those footpegs ? They have piqued my interest.
Are you going to do the “grease everything” routine ? It may have been done, but well…You know.
The security of the pinion nut is a big one to cover as well, it’s a good thing to do because it enables the greasing of the drive line splines while you’re there.
Are you across the procedure for TB balance, TPS reset etc..?
How far South from your location would you have to go to get warmer conditions ? False logic I guess, because you have to ride back into it to get home again. I suppose you now have a good opportunity to do all the usual stuff that we need to cover.
I did a post on such stuff called “Norge service schedule”, I don’t hold it up as the be all and end all in definitive big block maintenance, but I’ve devised it over 15 years with my ‘07 Norge and I really think it covers everything conceivable.
I’ll bump it for you.
Huzo.

Hi Huzo,
     I value your thoughts and recommendations, although being a lazy bugger, my maintenance is likely to be spotty. The bike has 85,000 kms on it, but it looks and feels like new - although compared to my Eldo anything seems like a spaceship.

I was told the footpegs are 'Knight Design' lowering about half an inch.
I may get to greasing - depends on how ambitious I am, but I'd appreciate the link to your wisdom thread.
On my previous Breva I had the connectors and cables to do that weird computer stuff but they went with the bike. I may be able to get them back on loan. As for riding south - I'd have to go a long way to clear the winter zone. I'll cool my jets until spring (Hah!).
Stay well and keep us up to date with your travels.

Best wishes

Nick

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2023, 04:08:24 PM »
No worries.

Offline nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2023, 11:32:51 AM »
A couple more pictures. Looking good. Love those two valve motors.

Nick

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here