Author Topic: Ambo swingarm alignment  (Read 1081 times)

Offline ttietjen

• New Egg
Ambo swingarm alignment
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:09:25 AM »
I'm in the process of installing a new u-joint in my 1970 Ambassador and was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to align the swing arm to the transmission output shaft. It seems like there is at least 1/10 in. of adjustment side to side with the swing arm to frame that is taken up with the pivot bolts. Didn't see any mention of this on G Benders website or my shop manual. Is this just an eyeball job or do you have to be more precise?

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Ambo swingarm alignment
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 08:33:11 AM »
I'm in the process of installing a new u-joint in my 1970 Ambassador and was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to align the swing arm to the transmission output shaft. It seems like there is at least 1/10 in. of adjustment side to side with the swing arm to frame that is taken up with the pivot bolts. Didn't see any mention of this on G Benders website or my shop manual. Is this just an eyeball job or do you have to be more precise?

The pivot pins should protrude from each side an equal distance. That's all the "alignment" you need to do.
Charlie

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 10:49:54 AM »
Snug up the pivot pins.  Not too tight but good and snug.  Count the number of exposed thread crowns on each side.  Move as necessary to get equal counts.

If you are excessively anal, you could do a true alignment by using a very long straight edge to ensure that the center of the rear wheel is actually following the precise center of the front wheel.  Such alignment is possible.  I doubt you could ever feel the performance difference by being off a few mm.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 09:19:43 PM »
Snug up the pivot pins.  Not too tight but good and snug.  Count the number of exposed thread crowns on each side.  Move as necessary to get equal counts.

If you are excessively anal, you could do a true alignment by using a very long straight edge to ensure that the center of the rear wheel is actually following the precise center of the front wheel.  Such alignment is possible.  I doubt you could ever feel the performance difference by being off a few mm.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

I've never tried it, but I have read that long fluorescent bulbs (shop lights) work well for this.
But yeah, I count threads- it's easy and it works.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 09:19:43 PM »

Offline ttietjen

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 06:01:35 AM »
OK
Thanks for the info.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here