Author Topic: SLASH CUT or CIGAR  (Read 1220 times)

Offline ttietjen

• New Egg
SLASH CUT or CIGAR
« on: May 02, 2018, 08:52:20 AM »
Wonder if someone could tell me what style mufflers were original equipment on the early loop frames, particularly the 1970 Ambassador and 1973 Eldorado. Were the slash cut style used only on certain model's or years or were they an after market choice like the fishtails?

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
Re: SLASH CUT or CIGAR
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 08:55:53 AM »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 09:22:42 AM »
"Cigars" were used on the "civilian" Ambos and Eldos. Slash cut (Lafranconi Frankfurters) were used on some "police" Ambos and Eldos, 850GT and 850GT California.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:25:35 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 10:29:19 AM »
"Cigars" were used on the "civilian" Ambos and Eldos. Slash cut (Lafranconi Frankfurters) were used on some "police" Ambos and Eldos, 850GT and 850GT California.

I always liked "the look" of the CIGARS...but that little pee-hole in the end always looked a bit "restrictive" to me!! (lol) :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :wink: :1: :thumb:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 10:29:19 AM »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 11:01:02 AM »
I always liked "the look" of the CIGARS...but that little pee-hole in the end always looked a bit "restrictive" to me!! (lol) :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :wink: :1: :thumb:

There are several variations of the "cigar" mufflers: Euro: tiny outlet/"pea shooters", aftermarket?: medium outlet, and US: large outlet. The large outlet would have been original on US Loops. The small or medium outlet mufflers are a bit restrictive, but the large outlet ones are pretty free flowing.

For years, nobody offered the large outlet type except Epco (in stainless) and the last I bought of those had issues with fit. A few years ago the large outlet cigars became available from an Italian company (http://motostoricheitaliane.it/ENG/) and not long after from both MG Cycle and Scrambler Cycle here in the 'States.
Charlie

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 12:01:01 PM »
My loops were both police versions. The Ambo came with the slash cut and the Eldo came with large hole cigar, at least that's how I got them in the early '80's.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline ttietjen

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 12:13:30 PM »
Is it same to assume then if my Ambo had slash cut's that appeared to be original to the bike, it was more than likely a police model?

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 12:42:41 PM »
Is it same to assume then if my Ambo had slash cut's that appeared to be original to the bike, it was more than likely a police model?

Only if it has other things that point to it being a "police" model like the dash with switches and extra lights, footboards instead of footpegs, solo seat, possibly a bracket for a siren, etc.

Mufflers can be easily changed and could have been very early on, so I would not assume any type of muffler to be original.

It all boils down to this: install what you like, can afford, sounds best, etc. What was original really matters little unless you're going for a 100 point correct concours restoration.
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here