General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

1981 Ducati 500SL Pantah resurrection

(1/16) > >>

Antietam Classic Cycle:
Thought I'd start this now, even though any actual work is unlikely to start for some time.

Fresh out of the Eurovan, the morning of Sept. 8th, 2020.

For easier storage and so I could see how I fit on it, I put the bodywork and other bits on loosely.

Original air filter assembly included.

Thanks to Jim/canuck750, I have these nice Tarozzi "high rise" clip-ons which I may use if the rather low originals are an issue.

Inspection stickers and lots of "patina".

The upper surfaces of the fairing has this "orange peel" texture, which I'm guessing is a result of the fiberglass out-gassing causing tiny bubbles under the paint?

Tony repainted the rear wheel and installed a Shinko 712 tire. I'll probably have both wheels repainted/powdercoated in a shade closer to the original gold. Not sure if I'll just use the Shinko and buy a matching front or replace both with more sporting rubber. In this shot you can also see that the mufflers have been "bobbed" - a shame really.

Fox Shox in place of the original Marzocchis.

Most of the original tool kit, missing pliers, a rod for the socket and/or a screwdriver I'm guessing.

The original voltage regulator and warning light control box. The latter are known to be problematic.

Manuals! I found them online, but it's always nice to have original print ones.

That's it for now.

danomar:
Wow, an original airbox. I do not think I ever saw one of those before.

I look forward to this thread slowly progressing!

:popcorn:

Antietam Classic Cycle:
Y'all might want to pace yourself eating that popcorn...  :grin:

Canuck750:
Nice score finding the manuals + the original tool kit is icing on the cake! I think matching manuals and tool kits to a vintage bike really adds to the value, they complete the bike.

Antietam Classic Cycle:

--- Quote from: Canuck750 on September 14, 2020, 08:34:54 AM ---Nice score finding the manuals + the original tool kit is icing on the cake! I think matching manuals and tool kits to a vintage bike really adds to the value, they complete the bike.

--- End quote ---

Thanks to Tony/Rough Edge racing for those and the original airbox. I'd found the manuals online, but it's nice having original print copies.

Spent about an hour just fiddling around with the Pantah yesterday. Making a list of needs and what parts need to be replated, repainted/powdercoated, rechromed, etc. Stein-Dinse has a lot of what I'll need for the resurrection and the cost is surprisingly cheap. Brake rebuild parts are the same as small-block Guzzis, so no problem there. Ignition system is the same as the V50 II as well. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version