Author Topic: Quota For Sale...  (Read 1474 times)

Offline SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
Quota For Sale...
« on: July 21, 2021, 08:32:41 AM »

jwinwi

Re: Quota For Sale...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 11:01:50 AM »
Wow, Nice Quota at a very attractive price.  Always wanted to ride one with a 19" front wheel...

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 11:34:29 AM »
That is mighty sharp looking, and I think that exhaust solves one of the known issues the Quota has! (cracked crossover? isnt that a thing on these bikes?)
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 11:47:56 AM »
That is mighty sharp looking, and I think that exhaust solves one of the known issues the Quota has! (cracked crossover? isnt that a thing on these bikes?)

Wheels also know to crack at the spoke nipple. Guessing that is why the front is now 19" being relaced??
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 11:47:56 AM »

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 12:14:08 PM »
This one and the griso just seem very pleasing to my eyes...
Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

jwinwi

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 12:24:44 PM »
Wheels also know to crack at the spoke nipple. Guessing that is why the front is now 19" being relaced??

Ummm, no. The rear wheels were *allegedly* prone to cracking. Mine never cracked but there were tool marks around many the spoke nipples that sure looked like they would lead to cracks. My dealer ordered a new rear wheel and it looked exactly like the original one. Oh, and the first replacement wheel that showed up at the dealer was for a Cali... :angry:
Edit: I had a red one with Excel rims F&R. Other Qs came with Sun rims and only the Excel's were prone to cracking, right?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 01:09:58 PM by jwinwi »

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 01:00:17 PM »
Thats a beautiful example! I always like it when I see an old Guzzi with  those rubber covers on the axle nut and fill plugs. Very "OG"!
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Tim Henry

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 07:05:38 AM »
The Excell wheels were the crack prone items not the Akront
Supplied on early quotas mine had the excell and were replaced under warranty with Buchanan sun rims. My front crossover also cracked so I cut it out and welded them with blanks made from the pipe.the only thing that left me stranded on the road was a blown ecu lucky Harper's had one in stock back then unfortunately 2 months later it got totalled by a left turner

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 01:04:58 PM »
CL ad was still there yesterday, but today it shows "deleted by author".  Anyone here purchase this Quota?
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline RLQuota

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2021, 09:28:22 PM »
It answers a long-held interest in Moto Guzzi's, and both the condition & price were good, I bought it.

It is a big and heavy beast, but once rolling, seems quite managable.  It's smooth at highway speed, but jerky at low speeds due to a lot of lash in the drivetrain.  I checked the cush drive in the rear wheel, the wheel to hub splines, the drive shaft splines.  The play seems to be either in the gearbox (in gear) or in the double universal joint.  Does anyone know the ID & OD dimensions of the needle bearing cups in the universal joint, or a part number?

Roger

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2021, 09:32:52 PM »
 Congrats and welcome. Hopefully an answer will be along shortly. Ben
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 12:12:14 PM »
It answers a long-held interest in Moto Guzzi's, and both the condition & price were good, I bought it.

It is a big and heavy beast, but once rolling, seems quite managable.  It's smooth at highway speed, but jerky at low speeds due to a lot of lash in the drivetrain.  I checked the cush drive in the rear wheel, the wheel to hub splines, the drive shaft splines.  The play seems to be either in the gearbox (in gear) or in the double universal joint.  Does anyone know the ID & OD dimensions of the needle bearing cups in the universal joint, or a part number?

Roger

I believe the jerkyness has more to do with the crude FI system. Mine has been reduced with a TB balance (Had a friend do it for me as it is a real PITA) and careful setting of the TPS. I also made sure there was a bit of slack in the throttle cable. Gotta say for having 21 and 18 tires the bike really handles well.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline RLQuota

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 11:46:04 PM »
With the bike on the center stand, and the transmission in gear (either 1st or 5th), I can rotate the rear wheel 7-cm (about 2 3/4-inches) at the tire contact patch.  As I stated I have confirmed no play in the cush drive, nor in the splined connection to the rear gear box.  There is a slight play in the rear pinion to ring gear contact.  My guess the play isn't in the main gearbox, as the play is the same in 1st gear as in 5th gear (This may be an erroneous assumption).  That leaves drive shaft splines (look & feel OK to me) and the universal joint.  I have seen reports of this joint failing, but don't know what other symptoms to look for, short of pulling the swing arm.
Please suggest the best path.

Roger

jwinwi

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 06:17:18 AM »
With the bike on the center stand, and the transmission in gear (either 1st or 5th), I can rotate the rear wheel 7-cm (about 2 3/4-inches) at the tire contact patch.  As I stated I have confirmed no play in the cush drive, nor in the splined connection to the rear gear box.  There is a slight play in the rear pinion to ring gear contact.  My guess the play isn't in the main gearbox, as the play is the same in 1st gear as in 5th gear (This may be an erroneous assumption).  That leaves drive shaft splines (look & feel OK to me) and the universal joint.  I have seen reports of this joint failing, but don't know what other symptoms to look for, short of pulling the swing arm.
Please suggest the best path.

Roger

Sounds normal to me... there is some slack in the transmission between the dogs on the gears and the sliding rings. Sorry, can't think of the correct terminology right now. As others have said, fueling from the ecu is the most likely cause of jerky running. Definitely worth a tune up. Keep the revs above 4,000 whenever possible.
A bad u joint will make rattling/clunking noises when in neutral and rear wheel is spinning. Also will vibrate the RH footpeg although difficult to notice on bike that's new to you.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 10:21:33 AM by jwinwi »

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2021, 12:22:05 PM »
Posting deleted so I presume that means it has sold.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2021, 12:52:58 PM »

Roger

Congrats! Mine has Akront wheels with a 19” front. I love my Quota! I do not know what could be causing the extra slop in the drivetrain. If you haven’t already checked it out, Greg Benders “thisoldtractor” website has a lot of really good info. Also there is a very nice Quota thread on advrider. It’s under the beasts section iirc. Something I personally like about my Quota is that it’s unrefined. I also have a 12v Cummins that rattles shakes and just keeps running, in my opinion my Quota is the motorcycle equivalent of my 12 valve!

Here’s to many happy miles!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here