Author Topic: DIY Electrical tips some may help with motorcycle repair wiring.  (Read 795 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Some good tips for electrical work.  Home and/or automotive/motorcycle.  Some I knew and some that I didn't. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hlo87E_GdQ
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: DIY Electrical tips some may help with motorcycle repair wiring.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 06:35:24 PM »
Love the splicing technique. No more twisting for me!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 07:29:44 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 07:28:09 AM »
Forty years ago I made a little extra money building custom wiring harnesses for choppers. I do boat wiring projects occasionally these days. Shrink tubing and crimp type terminal ends are the way to go. I buy plain terminals and the tubing in bulk. Cost works out to about .15 per terminal. I have found that the 3 to 1 shrink tubing with the glue inside makes a pretty darn weatherproof job. You can buy terminals with shrink tubing already on them, but they're a buck apiece.
Larry
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 07:28:29 AM by larrys »
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 08:07:24 AM »
Some good tips

Never came across the Reef knot techique to join wires before, quite ingenous. In the past I've just pushed the stripped conducters together, meshing them, then twisting, followed by solder and heat shrink

The "lever nuts" are good although I've never heard them called that before. I've heard them referred to as Wago connectors, the company that seems to make most of them. Used them before and like them, I believe most commonly used on domestic wiring schemes.

Only other things I can think of are
1) Don't use pre-insulated terminals, use the all metal variety with separate boot insulators that slide over.
2) Get a decent set of crimpers
3) Use "Thinwall" wire for the conductors, they can carry higher current for a given CSA.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 08:07:24 AM »

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 02:03:53 PM »

Wait a minute, is the cute knot the ONLY thing connecting and holding the two wires together? NO. Solder it! Otherwise, vibration and heat/cool cycles will almost certainly work the knot loose and allow corrosion to form on the mating surfaces, resulting in a high resistance joint.

Also, I wish people would stop showing the shrinking of heat shrink tubing with a match (Or any open flame)- use a heat gun unless you like black soot, sagging, charred insulation and surprise fires.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 02:51:52 PM »
That knot was for more home electrical not for a bike.  I'd definitely solder it too.   :thumb:  I'm rethinking my wire strippers.   :huh:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 02:57:44 PM »
 :grin:  The wife did tell me that I have a pass if I want to go to a strip club.  BTDT  Not interested.  Now a motorcycle show..... :thumb:   :grin:  Brewery tour.   :thumb:

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 06:49:30 AM »
Wait a minute, is the cute knot the ONLY thing connecting and holding the two wires together? NO. Solder it! Otherwise, vibration and heat/cool cycles will almost certainly work the knot loose and allow corrosion to form on the mating surfaces, resulting in a high resistance joint.

Also, I wish people would stop showing the shrinking of heat shrink tubing with a match (Or any open flame)- use a heat gun unless you like black soot, sagging, charred insulation and surprise fires.

Ya, i really dont like that knot thing also. Just seems wrong. OK, maybe its better then the "twist it, and tape it" procedure we see so much on old cars and bikes that have been around the block... but that doesnt make it good. As for the wire strippers. Ive had those for years, and its really the only way to go!! 
Paul B

Online Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 07:56:09 AM »
Years ago I got asked to help a mate with a Suzuzki 750

Most of it had been rewired by somebody using almost exclusively domestic wiring including a large proportion of the wires with solid core conductors, simply unbelievable.

About the only thing that wasn't domestic was a large number of splices covered in black PVC tape.

Much to my mate's protests, we evetualy ripped it all out and made a custom loom using proper cable and connectors.

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2022, 08:01:20 AM »
I see the knot splice appears to not be a favorable splicing technique, but I'm not seeing why. Enlighten us naive folks! Seems to me like it would resist being separated. Is there just too much chance for air gaps between wires?

I just don't want o have to solder everything. I don't have a garage, and I just get lazy pulling all these tools outside, so I'd rather deal with a nice, tight knot or a PosiTap.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2022, 08:30:21 AM »
I see the knot splice appears to not be a favorable splicing technique, but I'm not seeing why. Enlighten us naive folks! Seems to me like it would resist being separated. Is there just too much chance for air gaps between wires?

I just don't want o have to solder everything. I don't have a garage, and I just get lazy pulling all these tools outside, so I'd rather deal with a nice, tight knot or a PosiTap.

A correctly sized barrel connecter, properly crimped with shrink tubing over it is magnitudes better than that knot thing. YMMV.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2022, 09:12:15 AM »
Video was a tease.
I ended up buying the Klien version of the stripper from Amazon $19.
I believe an orderly applied wire nut gives you more wire surface area connected then that cam clamp device. More area equals less resistance.
But, anyway my strippers show up Sunday!
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2022, 06:54:37 PM »
The reef knot join works well, but it is often awkward in automotive wiring. I first learnt the technique with the Army setting up field telephones (remember them?) but not for 12V & not intended for permanent installations.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 06:11:30 AM »
We have in excess of 300 electricians at work and I doubt that any of them have ever used this technique for splicing wire. That is what junction boxes are for. Tying wires in a square know, pulling tight and then sliding a bit of shrink tubing over it might be okay for low voltage wiring but not for home power wiring.

Honestly with the invention of Posi-Taps if you spend a few dollars, you'll get a far superior product that is removable and reusable if reconfigure accessories.

I cringe every time i get a new to me bike and see all the wiring techniques used by the shade tree 12v electricians using cheap connectors from the $4 variety pack picked up at the local auto parts store. Usually, the 1st thing I do is rip all this goodness out and redo it properly with quality connectors.

Here's a bundle of joy I removed from a bike I bought a year or so ago. If they would have knotted all the splices it would have looked like a macrame plant holder. 

A few years ago I picked up a pop up camper that needed some work. Well I was re wiring it all, and could not get the tail lights to work. Dug into the back panel of the trailer, and found 10 scotchlocks and all mismatched wire, dead ends, and loops everywhere..  I cut it all out, and used half the wire, with GOOD connectors, and its been fine since. Sad part is I think it was factory! 
Paul B

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2022, 07:04:05 AM »
I've been using a Snap-On GA-116 for stripping stranded wire since the early '70's but may have to retire it for one of those new fangled automatic strippers that guy was using in the video.
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2022, 09:55:24 AM »
I think the reef knot connection with some duct tape would be ok for an emergency repair although a posi-lock (or even a wire nut) would be better.

Rich A

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here