Author Topic: Benelli 750 Sei - Any experts out there  (Read 1784 times)

canuck750

Benelli 750 Sei - Any experts out there
« on: November 06, 2017, 05:09:35 PM »
I am considering buying a Benelli 750 Sei 'project', disassembled, in boxes, 'mostly there', has six into six pipes, driveline supposedly complete, most cosmetic parts.

I have wanted one of these little exotics for a while now and a recent article in Classic Motorcycle Mechanics (August 2017) refueled the urge to find one.

Anyone have knowledge of these they could share, what to look for, problems, etc?

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
Re: Benelli 750 Sei - Any experts out there
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 06:15:32 PM »
Wish I could help, if anyone can rescue it you can!
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 07:41:15 PM »
They are cool, like Matteo said if anyone could do it right, that would be you.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 07:46:57 PM »
You'll love the way it sounds when running.  :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 07:46:57 PM »

Offline tcunnien

• New Egg
  • Location: Summit Point, WV(school year), Columbia, NH (summers)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 08:09:41 PM »
Have two CBXs sitting in the garage. Not much help with the Benelli six though. I do know that they were based on the Honda CB500 four of the day with two extra cylinders. The 750 had the same bore and stroke as the Honda.They are pretty easy to work on as long as you can find the parts. Hope you have fun with it.

canuck750

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 08:40:47 PM »
I think I can find most parts for it from Detlef Burian in Germany, he has been able to supply everything imaginable for my 650 Tornado project.

I have heard that some of the early ones had transmission problems, I was hoping to find out how I can tell if the transmission issue had been addressed.

From what I have read the engines are pretty straightforward but it still has six cylinders and if the engine needs some major work that could easily cost 3X what a Moto Guzzi engine overhaul costs! I have heard instruments and the unique front master cylinders are very hard to find.

Most write ups I have found talk about the similarity to the CB500 but the architecture is actually different in significant ways, Benelli placed the alternator behind the cylinders, same with the starter and I have read that the valves and pistons are not interchangeable with the Honda engine. Regardless of how much power it made or it the number of units sold (just over 3000 I think) it was the first production six cylinder motorcycle and the only one I can think of with six mufflers!

If anyone has parts for sale for one of these please contact me.

Thanks!

Jim

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 08:43:45 PM »
I think I can find most parts for it from Detlef Burian in Germany, he has been able to supply everything imaginable for my 650 Tornado project.

I have heard that some of the early ones had transmission problems, I was hoping to find out how I can tell if the transmission issue had been addressed.

From what I have read the engines are pretty straightforward but it still has six cylinders and if the engine needs some major work that could easily cost 3X what a Moto Guzzi engine overhaul costs! I have heard instruments and the unique front master cylinders are very hard to find.

Most write ups I have found talk about the similarity to the CB500 but the architecture is actually different in significant ways, Benelli placed the alternator behind the cylinders, same with the starter and I have read that the valves and pistons are not interchangeable with the Honda engine. Regardless of how much power it made or it the number of units sold (just over 3000 I think) it was the first production six cylinder motorcycle and the only one I can think of with six mufflers!

If anyone has parts for sale for one of these please contact me.

Thanks!

Jim

I'd be interested in this information as well. A customer in Wash., D.C. has one that I am supposed to work on sometime in 2018.
Charlie

canuck750

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 08:51:21 PM »
There is a Benelli 500 Quattro 'project' on Craigslist Hartford, looks like a good project, the 500's are climbing in value as well.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/6337784318.html

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 09:15:52 PM »
Tony at Eurosport cycle in Ft worth is the go to guy if he is still in business . Hi wife, Martha , rode a big six cylinder model. He is also a Guzzi dealer and a good guy.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here