Author Topic: mac vs pc  (Read 11019 times)

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
mac vs pc
« on: May 06, 2015, 03:52:19 PM »
I read all the responses to my post and deduced a tally number  but I thought if I just asked the above question I might get a more objective result.

Kentktk

Re: mac vs pc
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 05:17:38 PM »
I doubt it.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 05:32:57 PM »
I read all the responses to my post and deduced a tally number  but I thought if I just asked the above question I might get a more objective result.

You'll get exactly the same objectivity if you asked:

"Which church should I go to this coming Sunday?"

1) Baptist

2) Methodist

3) Catholic

4) Synagogue

5) No church at all.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 05:41:22 PM »
I might get a more objective result.
LOL ::)
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 05:41:22 PM »

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 07:09:04 PM »
LOL ::)
But I said I would pay for it so cost would not be an issue
. :)

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 07:12:54 PM »
You'll get exactly the same objectivity if you asked:

"Which church should I go to this coming Sunday?"

1) Baptist

2) Methodist

3) Catholic

4) Synagogue

5) No church at all.

Lannis Are you saying that religion is comparable to Macs vs PC?

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 07:19:13 PM »
Lannis Are you saying that religion is comparable to Macs vs PC?

I'm not Lannis but to answer your question;  For some people............. .yes!  LOL
NO longer can ride

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 09:12:34 PM »
I'm not Lannis but to answer your question;  For some people............. .yes!  LOL

I am Lannis and I agree with jackson.  If you read the past 5 years worth of Mac vs. PC "discussions", they have many of the elements of politics and religion.   People get personally furious at other people for "being ignorant of the facts" and "I don't agree" and "You'd have to be stupid to stick with a Mac/PC" and other emotional, subjective language.   

So don't expect any "objective" opinions.   I've seen people get the same way in the 60s over "Ford" vs. "Chevy", even though when you get down to it they're just cars.  Tools.  Ways to get around ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 09:33:12 PM »
MAC........there I said it!

Offline EvanM

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 11:44:25 PM »
For what its worth, the only time I've had trouble with windows pc's is when I go for a store bought one (HP, Compaq,etc). Anytime I've built one myself, and used a non-oem windows OS, I've never had a problem, save for a driver/ graphics card issue, but that was on AMD, not Microsoft.

Apple on the other hand.... I've yet to own anything Apple that has lasted past it's warranty period. Usually software issues. Hardware wise, quite robust.
2007 Breva 1100

bpreynolds

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 06:50:37 AM »
For years I heard my Mac friends praise the stuff.  I held off, seeing my wife having to purchase Office package for her Mac just to be fully compatible with work documents and such.  Also, having spent years with PC keyboards and Explorer/Mozilla, little things annoyed me slightly with hers - like lack of forward delete on text lines and such.  Christmas before last her folks bought us both Ipad Airs.  Since then I can count with one hand how many times my laptop PC has been turned on; the Ipad has totally replaced it in each and every way.  Never bogs down like my PC often did, never takes up hours on the month for virus scans, and overall has been far, far less trouble and more convenient than any PC I've owned. 

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 07:54:10 AM »
Ah, but now add in tablets.  Love my androids too.  Much better than the ipad I tried years ago.  And very stable, even with some horribly corruptive apps that show up every now and then.

My tablet has replaced my laptop for just about everything except CAD work.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Randown

• Long Beach, CA
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 08:02:29 AM »
If your son got a decent deal on the Apple, & it sounds like he did, he went out, picked it up, set it up & you have no problems with it during your return period, why not keep that one?

Don't undue the work he's invested in this little project for no reason, sounds like he's an Apple fan & b/c he's vested he'll probably be more than willing to help if you have a problem.

There's not enough info in the poll question about your circumstance or how you use the computer so the results are gonna be skewed.

Flippity Floppity Floop

Offline Dimples

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 08:12:39 AM »

Apple is bigger than Microsoft. In fact, it's the largest company in the world by market capitalization. They didn't get there by producing inferior products.

Do this the right way. Go to the Apple store and demo the product. Decide for yourself if it meets your standards.
'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

Offline Randown

• Long Beach, CA
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 08:17:25 AM »
Apple is bigger than Microsoft. In fact, it's the largest company in the world by market capitalization. They didn't get there by producing inferior products.

Do this the right way. Go to the Apple store and demo the product. Decide for yourself if it meets your standards.

What he failed to say in his poll is that his son ALREADY set him up with an Apple replacement.
Flippity Floppity Floop

Kentktk

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 08:27:03 AM »

On the other hand Microsoft lost ground by producing inferior products. The markets talk.

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 09:09:52 AM »
When MS tries to be forward-thinking they stumble. When Apple does this they thrive. Apple always seems to be breaking new ground and doing it quite well.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 09:31:53 AM »
Ah, but now add in tablets.  Love my androids too.  Much better than the ipad I tried years ago.  And very stable, even with some horribly corruptive apps that show up every now and then.

My tablet has replaced my laptop for just about everything except CAD work.

I joined the 20th century  ::) and got a smart fone this year. It was half priced, and came with a FREE (Guzzi content) Samsung tablet. Android, naturally. It's much more capable than an Ipad for half the cost, normally. Want some memory in your Ipad? Sure. Just pay about a hundred bux for every 16 gig memory upgrade. Did I say free? ;D I put an aviation navigation app on it that is simply amazing. Airliners didn't have the capability of this little tablet just a few years ago. Works on my fone, too.  ;-T
Seriously, I don't care one way or the other. I just think that Apple stuff is overpriced.
Charlie, do you have a keyboard for your tablet?
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Kentktk

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 09:43:19 AM »
My Airline chose the iPad to put our navigation charts on. Airlines are cheap and even they chose the iPad over other less expensive tablets. Apple does not give discounts for anyone. Having to use CTRL+ALT+DEL in the middle of an instrument approach to an airport was one of the issues we chose not to experiment with when lives depend on reliability.

ponti_33609

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 09:56:38 AM »
We really like Apple Products.  However, unlike other folks, our IPad was unable to replace our Laptop which is what we wanted.  Too much spreadsheet work for both of us.  We actually ended up with a Surface Pro 3.  Now we rarely use the iPad.  For our use, ease like a tablet but traditional MS Office stuff this has worked great.  I am guessing Apple will do something quite similar in the next year or so and we would probably go that direction but in the meantime the surface has been a good option.  So much of the choice depends on what you need to use it for most.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 11:48:40 AM »

Yes, actually three of them now  :)

I have a tablet 'cover' with a keyboard that attaches with velcro (Belkin).  Kinda turns the tablet into a laptop.

I also have one of those keyboards that folds in half.  I use that one with the phone more than the tablet.

Then there is the Brookstone one that the wife uses more than I do.  It has a stand and charging outlet (USB port) for the tablet as well.  Does not fold up but is really nice for her at the desk.

I have also had a Logitech keyboard that worked well.

I use these with my phone or tablet and I also use a bluetooth mouse a lot of the time too.

The key is to try out the keyboard.  I am a decent typist so weird key layouts frustrate me.  I bought one of those rubber roll up keyboards.  Horrible unless you are a hunt and peck type.  Even the little folding one can be a bit upsetting since the hinge is in the middle and offsets some of the keys.

I like a separate keyboard, not one attached to the tablet or in the cover.  I find that I don't use it a lot unless I am doing email or forum responses.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 11:53:20 AM »
My Airline chose the iPad to put our navigation charts on. Airlines are cheap and even they chose the iPad over other less expensive tablets. Apple does not give discounts for anyone. Having to use CTRL+ALT+DEL in the middle of an instrument approach to an airport was one of the issues we chose not to experiment with when lives depend on reliability.

Really?  CntAltDelete on an Android?  I guess if you have no idea what the other stuff is like you can make things up as you go.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

oldbike54

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »
MAC........there I said it!

And CHEESE ! Hey , those Pastafarians can't all be wrong  ;D

Dusty

bpreynolds

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 12:01:55 PM »
Seriously, I don't care one way or the other. I just think that Apple stuff is overpriced.

I used to think the very same thing until I got my Ipad.  Now I wouldn't own anything but.  I did buy the $99 keyboard for it; it is a small keyboard relatively speaking but the keys and spacing are extremely close to a standard board so I don't feel cramped and can still type as I would on a normal and much larger keyboard.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 01:01:52 PM »
I must toss in my $.02.

First, since you asked, it obviously does NOT matter what technology you end up with. In fact, you forgot Chromebook and Android. (a cheap Android tablet may be all you need) What DOES matter in your case, is what support you will be getting. In another thread I believe you mentioned a son helping you with an Apple product. End of story. Get the one that will get the support.

On the other hand, if it was a daily work tool, then it would become much more complex. I've done software and hardware development for decades, and I need to run specialized applications. There is only one product that will work for me. Someone else may have a need that is covered better by the other guy. So be it.
I bought and use the tools I need. They work well for me.

Anyone telling me to switch is revealing their idiocy.

And yes.......
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-surface-tablets-issued-to-lufthansa-austrian-airlines-pilots/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2050338/delta-doubles-down-on-microsoft-with-surface-2-tablets-for-pilots.html

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:25:49 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 01:02:05 PM »
Quote from kentktk:
Apple does not give discounts for anyone.

Not so. Educators get a discount, at least on computers. When I bought my MacBook Pro I was given an additional $100 off for being an educator.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Kentktk

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 01:36:14 PM »
Glad to hear that! For other than education they don`t

Kentktk

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 01:40:12 PM »
Really?  CntAltDelete on an Android?  I guess if you have no idea what the other stuff is like you can make things up as you go.

The less costly MS Surface was not considered. Delta uses them because they have a major travel contract with MS and my pilot friends at Delta are not happy.

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 08:03:26 AM »
OK, I can't stay out of this any longer.

I switched the family to Macs about 4 years ago and even use a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) Mac for work.

All other points aside the two biggest advantages were an 80% reduction in 'system administration' time (of course I was the sys admin) and a significant decrease in the number of software errors/system failures. 

I don't know about the rest of you but I don't really like diddling with these damn computers just to get them to work so the two points I mentioned make any cost differential worth it to me.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline rbond

• Hatchling
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 10:19:58 AM »
My .02 worth, when I have to - Win7. Rest of the time - Linux Mint 17.1. Or any of the Debian based ones. Both running on a home assembled hardware with a hard drive swap tray. Will not EVER do a dual boot setup. For my computing at home, this setup has given me the least headaches and virtually no virus (only on Windows) problems. Most android devices are based on Linux as well, even the MAC. (hint, hint) But to each his own, I am tired of the OS flames as well as the Harley, rice burner, etc. flames too. Use/ ride what works best for you and enjoy it. Wave / talk to each other simply as motorcycle brothers and sisters and just enjoy LIFE. Brand / OS affiliation is just so much useless fluff, it gets in the way and causes problems. Anything man makes is going to be both great and a PITA. Get used to it and move on. By the way, I prefer Suzuki 2 strokes, most GS series 4 strokes, BMW airheads, and now my 2012 V7C! OK it is actually a dimes worth......
2012 MG V7C
1976 Suzuki GT500A
1978 Suzuki GS400C (long gone)
1973 Suzuki TS 100K (first new bike)
1969 Honda S90 (very first bike)

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here