Author Topic: mac vs pc  (Read 11037 times)

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
Re: mac vs pc
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2015, 10:50:39 AM »
Well, I have had my mac mini for a few days now and I am going to keep it.I put up with stuff that less patient folks would have ditched the pc years ago.As some here have said having a son who is a mac fan helps.Even if I didn't have a Guzzi this site is worth it.

Moto

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2015, 11:30:57 AM »
Most android devices are based on Linux as well, even the MAC. (hint, hint)

The Mac is not an Android device, and it is not based on Linux.

Its operating system was based on Unix, via NextStep and BSD. I have read that Mac OS X is now certified as Unix by whatever group does that. (Not so for Linux, I believe.)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2015, 11:34:38 AM »
Glad to hear that! For other than education they don`t

Yes they do.  Our corporation got a huge discount for going to iPads and iPhones.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2015, 11:38:31 AM »
The less costly MS Surface was not considered. Delta uses them because they have a major travel contract with MS and my pilot friends at Delta are not happy.

Why was it not considered?  Was it the software your company chose?  Or did they choose the device first and then try and find software that did the job?  And what software did Delta choose?  Again, is it a device issue or software issue?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:50:36 AM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2015, 11:38:31 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2015, 12:55:53 PM »
Why was it not considered?  Was it the software your company chose?  Or did they choose the device first and then try and find software that did the job?  And what software did Delta choose?  Again, is it a device issue or software issue?

The answer is probably in a Scott Adams "Dilbert" cartoon somewhere.    That's how these decisions are normally made .....
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »
The answer is probably in a Scott Adams "Dilbert" cartoon somewhere.    That's how these decisions are normally made .....

Yep, cause I have watched that decision process in the company I work for.  It was rumored that Adams actually worked in the same company but have not been able to verify it.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2015, 03:42:21 PM »
coke or pepsi?   
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2015, 03:48:24 PM »
Linux. Screw em both. If you cannot set up the OS on your own PC you should not be on the internet.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2015, 04:12:40 PM »
ROFLMAO
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2015, 08:03:04 PM »
Linux. Screw em both. If you cannot set up the OS on your own PC you should not be on the internet.

Gary, haven't seen you in forever. How they hangin??  ;D Coming to the Nationals?
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Kentktk

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2015, 08:06:56 PM »

Deltas choice was purely for there Business travel contract as that was not what the Pilot`s wanted. Software is all from Jeppesen for the charts.  iPad is the choice for most airlines. Software was not the issue, reliability and ease of use was, as the FAA needed to approve the device also.

Offline uncle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2015, 08:56:14 AM »
How about Apple vs. Motto Guzzi -  both get complaints about being overpriced,  have a limited dealership network,  a minority of people own them,  parts can be hard to come by,  folks who own them swear by them...

Yeah,  I like my Motto Guzzis and I like my Macs - I guess I'm weird....
Ever onward...

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2015, 10:23:03 AM »
How about Apple vs. Motto Guzzi -  both get complaints about being overpriced,  have a limited dealership network,  a minority of people own them,  parts can be hard to come by,  folks who own them swear by them...

Yeah,  I like my Motto Guzzis and I like my Macs - I guess I'm weird....

Problem is, though the character of a Goose is in the Mac, the quirky fiddly stuff has been boiled out; that's in the PC.  It's a wash. 
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2015, 11:51:03 AM »
Problem is, though the character of a Goose is in Linux, the quirky fiddly stuff has been boiled out; that's in the PC and mac.  It's a wash. 

I fixed it for ya  :D
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2015, 02:24:28 PM »
Most android devices are based on Linux as well, even the MAC.

Correct, except to be accurate, I believe Mac's operating system is currently based on BSD Unix.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2015, 03:48:34 PM »
Yep, Linux has it's roots in Unix.  Started out as a simpler version, as Unix had some 'weird' line commands and used up a lot of processing time and memory.  Which was why DOS was invented anyway, a stripped down OS that would 'fit' on a personal computer.  Now days we have so much processing power Unix is again the 'backbone' of the industry.

Heck, if you look into Windows you'll even see some signs of Unix structure.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here