Author Topic: Something bad with positive outcome  (Read 4495 times)

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
Something bad with positive outcome
« on: May 08, 2015, 09:46:11 AM »

I put this Pirelli tire on my old Japanese motorcycle late in the winter.  I carried my wheels over to the local shop, which happens to be Rider's Hill.  The above photo shows the tire at 1700 miles and about done.  I posted the same photo at XS11.com and someone there noted something amiss with the tread pattern.

It turns out I'm running a front tire on the back.  Yes, I feel pretty stupid.  I should have figured it out myself, but I didn't.  I rode the bike to Rider's Hill on Sunday.  The service manager came out and had a look.  He said bring the bike in on Wednesday and they'd put a correct tire on there.  I took the wheel over on Wednesday and they replaced the tire.  I did not have to beg, argue, cry, or show my a$$.  They just took care of it without any negotiation.

Anyhow, I came away very happy.  I thought my positive experience should be reported here.  Anyone can make a mistake.  It's the follow-up that makes the whole event a positive or negative experience.  This experience was positive.
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Penderic

Re: Something bad with positive outcome
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 11:40:37 AM »
What would be the disadvantages of running a tire the wrong way?

Just asking.

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 02:14:35 PM »
The front tire on the back of my motorcycle was completely worn out after less than 1800 miles.  Compared to the rear tire, the weight rating for the front is lower and I suspect the rubber compound may be different as well.  The correct tire certainly goes triple the mileage or more.
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »
Remember Pirelli Phantoms?
It used to be common practice to run a rear tyre on the front rim.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »

190 Octane

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 04:16:16 PM »
When I fist looked into the Pilot Activs, most of the reviews I found were from Goldwing and trike riders who were running a rear tire up front.

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 08:28:55 PM »

I just replaced a Pilot Activ front tire on my 01 EV. Got 20k out of it.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 08:39:22 PM »
Tire constructions vary.  Years ago coming back from Seattle, Wa. 2up & loaded on our CX100 I noticed our Conti. Blitz rear tire had blisters on it near Portland.  It was a Monday but I was lucky and found an independent MC shop open in Portland and had them mount a comparable size Avon tire on the rear.   We rode the  550 miles home but getting there the bike handle kind of weird.  ???  I looked @ the rear tire and it was a front tire !  :D   I called Avon and they asked if we made it home OK.  I said yes.  They said, go to your nearest MC dealer and have them put on a proper rear tire of any brand and send us the Avon you rode on.  They foot the bill and I got a 491 Dunlop in it's replacement.  8)   ;-T

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 08:45:42 PM »
So they put the rear on the front?  You gave them the tires so must be the case unless you gave two fronts. I'm confused how this happened if you gave the tires to them.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 09:35:43 PM »
So they put the rear on the front?  You gave them the tires so must be the case unless you gave two fronts. I'm confused how this happened if you gave the tires to them.

I brought wheels to Rider's Hill with worn out tires on them.  The new tires came from their stock.  The same make and model tires went on as came off, except for an extra front one. 

Yes, the bike drives much better with the proper tires in the proper place.  I'm a happy camper now.   ;-T
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 06:28:34 PM »
isn't the front usually smaller than the rear?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 07:22:45 PM »
I had some tires mounted the other day and as I was taking them out to the truck I double checked to make sure that the rear was mounted properly. It wasn't. The shop assumed the shaft drive hub was on the left. Had to have them change it. I also learned that it will be cheaper in the long run to buy a No Mar changer and do them my self. Shop time adds up.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 10:36:21 PM »
isn't the front usually smaller than the rear?

The size was correct.  The tire was not.  I wore it out in less than 1800 miles.  My bike is old.  The rear tire is a 130/90-16.  That's how they were on old bikes.  Now, that's a front tire size.
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here