Author Topic: Reuse fouled plugs?  (Read 12065 times)

bpreynolds

Reuse fouled plugs?
« on: May 10, 2015, 07:29:19 AM »
Set the floats way too rich on my '99 Thunderbird Sport.  Pulled plugs and they make coal look like an ivory tower.  Can I clean and reuse them; and if so, what is the best method?  Online it seems split between torching them off (I'd have to use my gas stove) or spraying with carb cleaner?  Any advice appreciated.  Even with a fantastic garage I am still such a shade tree mechanic, so slow.  This was supposed to be a Winter project, then it became a Spring project, now possibly becoming a Summer project.  
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 03:31:36 PM by bpreynolds »

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Reuse greatly fouled plugs?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 07:42:52 AM »
They're cheap, buy new ones.  ???
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

bpreynolds

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 08:11:59 AM »

Cam.  Ducati has some great boards.  There is Ducati.ms and then there's lots of specialty ones like multistrada.net and then a monster one too.  You should check them out.  This is the Guzzi board.  I would type more but I've got to adjust my suspenders. 
 ;D :D :)

dilligaf

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 08:22:22 AM »

I agree with Dusty, they can be cleaned.  Don't use a wire brush or wire wheel. Use a bristle brush, emery cloth, a good solvent and compresses air.   :BEER:
Matt  

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 08:22:22 AM »

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 08:30:33 AM »
Not being a fan of reusing a fouled plug. I have used the bernzomatic torch and heated the electrode and ceramic to burn off excess gas and oil.  I hesitate to use any abrasives that can scratch the ceramic and soften the sharp edges of the electrodes.  Do not excessively heat the plug body as the seal can be damaged and the plug could leak compression gases.  Mike

bpreynolds

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 08:44:27 AM »
Oh , one question . Why did you adjust the floats to begin with ?

Dusty

One of those cases where you think you're being proactive but actually do more harm than good.  Like say you think you're doing your wife a favor by stopping to get milk on the way home only to find out you bought the milk from the wrong store, wrong brand, and wrong size.  But even then, that's not a good analogy with the relationship I am having with the Sport.  Maybe if yr wife then threw a pan at your head, called her relatives, left the house for a week, and began divorce proceedings.  Yup, fixed it.  Good analogy now.   :D

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 08:54:22 AM »
Back in the "good old days", when I was a teenager (pre-Elvis era), every gas station (they were called service stations in those days) had a spark plug cleaning device, which was a small box that was connected to the station's compressed air supply.  There was a hole into which one inserted a spark plug, then it first sand blasted the plug and then gave it a high velocity air cleaning.  Took about 10 seconds.  In those days, you didn't throw away a spark plug until there was nothing left of the electrode.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Mike Craven

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 08:54:58 AM »
....an additional trick/suggestion:  Punch a hole in the lid of a plastic lid from a disposable food container and stick the plugs threads upward.  Spray with oven cleaner, let set, clean with old toothbrush, water, compressed air.

No grit, no heat shock which could crack insulator, not metal contamination of the insulator ceramic...

Mike
Mike  L-715, Atlanta GA
1983 Cali II

dilligaf

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 08:58:22 AM »
Back in the "good old days", when I was a teenager (pre-Elvis era), every gas station (they were called service stations in those days) had a spark plug cleaning device, which was a small box that was connected to the station's compressed air supply.  There was a hole into which one inserted a spark plug, then it first sand blasted the plug and then gave it a high velocity air cleaning.  Took about 10 seconds.  In those days, you didn't throw away a spark plug until there was nothing left of the electrode.

Yep.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 09:01:15 AM »
In the old days when they had the sand blasting boxes, they didn't realize that occasionally bit of sand would stay in the plug and damage the motor. Don't use sand.
In my dirt bike days, I would have a number of spare plugs around that I would take a propane torch to. Heat up JUST the ceramic. Avoid heating the metal. But, the heat would cook off the lubricant that the factory puts on the threads, so make sure you put same anti-seize or such on the threads.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 09:02:46 AM »
You can buy a small spark plug sandblaster cheaply, and I've had great luck with them.  After the plugs are clean, you need to use a magnifier and tiny pick to get out all the stray grains of sand that get stuck between the porcelain and the steel body.  Then file the center electrode square so the edge is sharp, like it was when it was new.  Then blast it with air all over, including the threads.  Then put a drop of oil on the threads, or anti-seize if you prefer.

Based on the price of plugs, it might not be worth the effort, but when I need clean plugs, I usually need them right away, and cleaning two old ones is quicker and easier than driving an hour to town and back.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

bpreynolds

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 09:31:50 AM »
I will buy new plugs after I get the mix correct to stop fouling them  ;-T

LaMojo

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 09:37:44 AM »
I almost never buy a new spark plug unless the ground electrode has started to eroded away (almost never anymore with high voltage ignition systems) or the center electrode ceramic insulation has baked on carbon that can't be cleaned.  Haven't tried oven cleaner though.  Plug in the plugs, lay them on the fins and give the engine a twirl.  If they spark:OK. If not, get new ones.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:45:31 AM by LaMojo »

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 09:48:40 AM »
Cam.  Ducati has some great boards.  There is Ducati.ms and then there's lots of specialty ones like multistrada.net and then a monster one too.  You should check them out.  This is the Guzzi board.  I would type more but I've got to adjust my suspenders.  
 ;D :D :)

Yea, tried those boards when I had my Duc scrambler - not impressed.  Silly me, I thought strong spark was important.  You did say "greatly fouled".  A set of NGK plugs runs about $5.00.  Then again, I don't own suspenders...yet.

Man, you guys ARE cheap!

;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:52:52 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 09:55:03 AM »
trying to save $5 for a couple thousand dollar machine doesn't make much sense to me.
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500
bunch of other stuff that is long gone.

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 09:56:15 AM »
Gun cleaning solvent and soft toothbrush.

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

bpreynolds

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 09:57:42 AM »
trying to save $5 for a couple thousand dollar machine doesn't make much sense to me.

Hey buddy!  I'll have you know that it's not some fiver.  It''s $15, okay!  Thunderbird Sports are triples.    ;-T
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:58:22 AM by bpreynolds »

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 10:00:28 AM »
 :+1 on the gun solvent or if you have any Benzene layin'around a quick rinse will do ya.

Paul :BEER:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 10:05:15 AM »
Hey buddy!  I'll have you know that it's not some fiver.  It''s $15, okay!  Thunderbird Sports are triples.    ;-T

Oh yea, now I have cylinder envy!  What would the guys on the Triumph board say to do?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

bpreynolds

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 10:17:02 AM »
Oh yea, now I have cylinder envy!  What would the guys on the Triumph board say to do?

Well.  It is their fault I'm in this mess to begin with per se.   :)  I quickly solved the problem I had initially with the bke right after purchase - totally clogged fuel line filter.  But then, based on their advice, I thought it would be "fun" to go ahead and pull the carbs for cleaning, rejetting, modifying airbox, changing cams, flushing orange mud from cooling system, and changing ignitor.  In their defense, all of these are proven setups with other t-birds and I'm sure they assumed the person trying them, quite unlike me, would have an inkling as to what he is doing  :BEER:

bpreynolds

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 11:02:21 AM »
Bipper , the T Birds are great bikes , but our feelings are hurt that you found it a good idea to cheat on us by turning to another forum for advice  :o ;D

Dusty

No, listen, let me explain.  It was a mistake.  These Triumphs, they mean nothing to me.  Mere flings.  Weekend playthings.  Won't happen again.  Promise.

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »
  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I know a couple of guys that would haul it off ... for a small fee  ;D Seriously , those are great bikes .

Dusty

ME!   

Terry   (and I have my own vintage plug blaster too!)
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 11:25:33 AM »
My grandfather, a frugal Norwegian, would re-use everything: wood, nails, string, foil, tin, spark plugs... No plug was too fouled!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2015, 11:37:16 AM »
Get a spark plug cleaner from Harbor Freight.  Then blow the sand out w/your air compressor afterwords.  ;-T  Spark plugs are supposed to last for 50K miles.  :BEER:   I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty.  :)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2015, 11:51:42 AM »

Man, you guys ARE cheap!

;D

:+1 "False economy" in my book...
Charlie

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2015, 01:38:31 PM »
I still have my little spark plug sandblaster attached to the side of my rollaround from when I worked the line.  I don't use it much for spark plugs anymore because my plugs don't get dirty, but it's real handy for cleaning small parts like bolt threads, contacts and such.  I have no hesitiation about cleaning plugs with it -- neighbors come by and scrub up their boat engine spark plugs -- and if you take a half second to blow them out  with compressed air there's no sand left.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2015, 02:47:06 PM »
In my experience, a plug that is *really* fouled is never the same. Yes, I have a spark plug cleaner/tester for aircraft and automotive plugs. Even at $42 each for cheap  ::) aircraft plugs, I throw them away if they're really oil fouled, etc. The tester tells the tale..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2015, 03:16:12 PM »
Dab some Aircraft paint remover on them and watch the carbon turn to ooze. If you have to buy the Aircraft remover your better off spending the money on new plugs.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
    • http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=128
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2015, 03:26:52 PM »
Till you get your new plugs, you can dip the electrodes of the old ones in some toilet cleaning liquid, any type with hydrochloric acid will remove most of the deposits in a couple of minutes.

bpreynolds

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2015, 03:30:09 PM »
Hit them with some carb cleaner and they seemed to clean right up.  Mostly.  I should have stated in my initial post that these actually "are" new plugs and the rich running was only about a total of 10 minutes or so tops.  So we are not talking about caked on, baked on blackness here.  So perhaps I should not have said "greatly" fouled plugs in my post and should rather have said "newly" fouled plugs.  Maybe that contributed to why they were relatively easy to clean up.  
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 03:31:13 PM by bpreynolds »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here