Author Topic: Someone else's ride report.  (Read 2929 times)

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
Someone else's ride report.
« on: May 10, 2015, 09:58:52 PM »
...that I found immensely readable. Others may find it so too so here it is.
(bear in mind it is relatively hard core Ozzi so allow for cultural differences)

WARRIORS REMEMBERED
The warriors were honouring their dead on the morn, and life at the 24 hour service station at Pheasants Nest was surreal at 2230.

Boris and Biffa and I drank coffee in the parking lot and listened to our bikes tick as they cooled.

A senior citizen with a speech impediment showed us a piece of thick glass with a hole in it and honked about something. An early ‘80s Ford with a big V-8 motor that sounded like it was running some serious compression pulled up, and an old guy with bent legs who walked with two sticks got out of the driver’s seat. A woman with a three legged cattle dog got the animal some water, but it wasn’t thirsty.

An SMS message arrived from Daz after 2300 explaining that he was running late as he had some highway patrol to deal with. “Going for a ride with Daz is like war, or prostitution”, I told Biffa. “It is ninety nine percent waiting, and one percent furious action.”

Daz and Rob arrived around midnight, and Daz did things to his SuperDuke with tools, because Österreich, and we smashed through the night in a six hundred horsepower mototrain. We stopped at Marulan for coffee. It was surreal in smaller doses, and Biffa put Bundaberg rum in our flat whites.

We stopped one more time, at the memorial to Major Peter Badcoe VC on Remembrance Drive at Lake George. Smokers smoked. It was dark. The Milky Way was icy clear. We saw three, four, five shooting stars. “When beggars die there are no comets seen”, I said. “The heavens themselves blaze forth the death of princes.”

“Shut up, Al”, said Daz.

A cop in the 7-Eleven in Canberra directed us to the War Memorial. It was crowded. There was standing room only, and there were three or four people per square metre. The Dawn Service started at around 0430 with readings from the letters and diaries of warriors. Wreaths were laid, and songs were sung. There was contemplation in silence for a time.  The sun rose. A hundred thousand people queued for buses.

We breakfasted, and slept a little. Daz and Rob went back to Sydney. We had a late lunch, and went drinking. Chuck found us, and he had his medals on, so we bought him drinks and he told us stories, and every time he tried to buy a round we told him that it will be a cold day in hell when a soldier has to buy drinks on Anzac Day, and bought another round. We got gloriously drunk, and went to dinner, and got slightly more gloriously drunk when Chuck, through deception and manoeuvre, bought a round while everyone was distracted.

It was a matter, he said, of honour.

I breakfasted with Boris the next day. The Canberra Times said they had catered for fifty thousand people at the Dawn Service, but a hundred and twenty eight thousand turned up. We fuelled and headed back up the Hume Highway to Sydney.

“That was a great weekend” Boris declared, when we stopped at Pheasants Nest for fuel. “We should make this an annual event.”

I agreed that it was only fitting.

I was home an hour later. I checked the news. SBS reporter Scott McIntyre had tweeted on Anzac Day that Australian soldiers were responsible for “summary execution, widespread rape and theft” in Egypt, Palestine and Japan; and that Australia committed “the largest single-day terrorist attacks in history” on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

SBS fired the dumb bastard, of course. Shame he wasn’t in Canberra with us.

Biffa is renowned for his contact counselling skills.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Someone else's ride report.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 10:09:17 PM »
Don't know about "immensely readable", but I plowed through it, googling "ANZAC Day" and "Scott McIntyre" as I went, so I could "keep up in the back there!".

Always interested to see how someone else's culture "comes out" when discussing an activity we all share, like riding ... !

Thanks!!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 10:18:37 PM »
 Written in the vernacular of OZ , I liked it John  :)

Dusty

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 08:29:37 AM »
Lannis, I could have saved you some time there.    Hopefully though you found your search interesting.   http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=76038.0

Dusty, I'm told that others find it difficult to tell Ozzies and Kiwis apart.  This is disturbing to those of us who perceive quite distinct cultural differences.  

I smiled in particular at the the last sentence. Vasco doesn't have such phrases on his own.  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:42:35 AM by johnr »
New Zealand

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 08:29:37 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 08:54:43 AM »
 John , I can usually tell . Hard to define exactly , like the difference between a Texas and Okie accent , but it is there . The vernaculars are just a bit different , although both are interesting . Guess it is similar to someone from Germany trying to figure out whether an English speaker is from New York or North Carolina .
 Your boy Stephen Adams is doing some brilliant bank commercials here , using probably exaggerated Kiwi speak , with a translation below . Great stuff !

Dusty

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 08:59:01 AM »
That was a fun read, much thanks.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 09:33:35 AM »
Dusty, I had to look Stephen Adams up!  :-[
New Zealand

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 09:52:41 AM »
Dusty, I had to look Stephen Adams up!  :-[

Catch up down there John  ;D The other Kiwi forum members and I have been having a lively discussion about Stephen and the Thunder for the last couple of years  :D Time to join in , although the Thunder's season is over , mostly due to injuries . Understand young Stephen is a national hero in NZ  ;-T

Dusty

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 12:23:51 PM »
Nice post.

Especially like the last couple lines.

I felt privileged to pay for breakfast for a couple of old guys here in town one morning.  One had his SAS badge on his hat and the other had his WWII Ranger patch on his hat.  They were together in the Devil's Brigade.  I wanted to sit and talk but it was clear they were there for each other.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline 1Sourdough

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 11:24:06 PM »
...that I found immensely readable. Others may find it so too so here it is.
(bear in mind it is relatively hard core Ozzi so allow for cultural differences)

WARRIORS REMEMBERED
The warriors were honouring their dead on the morn, and life at the 24 hour service station at Pheasants Nest was surreal at 2230.

Boris and Biffa and I drank coffee in the parking lot and listened to our bikes tick as they cooled.

Biffa is renowned for his contact counselling skills.
[/i]

Anyone named Biffa must be an accomplished counselor of the school of "Immediate Impression"!
1993 Strada 1000, 1996 R1100RT, 1999 V11 EV
                            -30-

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here