Author Topic: Crap  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
Crap
« on: August 26, 2020, 09:10:56 PM »
    A friend of mine has been after me for a ride for months. We finally settled for a ride from Florida to Dallas, TX. So now there is a storm that might impact our ride. We hope to duck under it's path. Two old guys riding two old bikes. He's on a Harley Soft Tail with over 100K and I'll be riding my 01 EV with 125,000 miles. What could go wrong?

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Crap
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 09:29:10 PM »
Uh......-.  :tongue:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 09:29:28 PM »
Keep your powder dry  :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 09:31:02 PM »
Yes by all means.  A daily check of the weather forecast is required.  Somewhere west of Houston should be drier.  :shocked:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 09:31:02 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 09:45:10 PM »
    A friend of mine has been after me for a ride for months. We finally settled for a ride from Florida to Dallas, TX. So now there is a storm that might impact our ride. We hope to duck under it's path. Two old guys riding two old bikes. He's on a Harley Soft Tail with over 100K and I'll be riding my 01 EV with 125,000 miles. What could go wrong?
Not much, as long as you’re prepared to stop when the weather gets bad, take a room and get on the sauce..
Sitting by an open fire at a good pub, with a 300 g steak and a suitable wine within arm’s reach, I’d be like a rat with a gold tooth... :thumb:
Now realistically, if you’re asking what could go wrong, do you mean alphabetically or numerically...?
As long as no one gets hurt, the low points of a trip, end up becoming the high points once you get home.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:51:47 PM by Huzo »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 09:52:11 PM »
Of course we will be looking for a full report when you get back.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 11:27:26 PM »
I’d be like a rat with a gold tooth... :thumb:

What is the deal with you Australians?  I’d travel down under just to hear colorful turns of phrase like that one.  Wow.     

And drink beer. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 12:33:41 AM »
Be careful and have a great ride!!!!

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 01:09:52 AM »
What is the deal with you Australians?  I’d travel down under just to hear colorful turns of phrase like that one.  Wow.     

And drink beer.
You know what offer stands SS.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 01:25:37 AM »

And drink beer.
Actually, I think it’s origins are British like most good stuff.
The implication is that a rat, albeit a lowly form of life as a rodent, can feel as though he has elevated himself above his immediate company if he posses a gold tooth.
It matters not a jot to him that he is lower than just about every form of life around him as a species, he takes solace in the fact that he is the best of a disadvantaged bunch.
He is happy because he THINKS he is happy.. :thumb:

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 01:41:47 PM »
Quote from: Huzo on August 26, 2020, 09:45:10 PM

"I’d be like a rat with a gold tooth..." :thumb:

And drink beer.

To the OP;     GD that sounds like a great adventure, but I agree with Tom, if you've got a device or means of tracking the storms on the weather radar, I'd be checking updates every gas/coffee/bladder break with free wifi if available.

The winds and storms along the coast down there can change direction and intensity in a heart beat, stay flexible and dry.
     good luck and safe travels.

:bike-037:

SS, I agree with you, there is something with the Ozzies, and their ability to turn a phrase; it's more than just good writers and the Crocodile Dundee franchise.

It would be a very interesting subject to study, but I think Peter alludes to it's roots in another post;possibly as a colonized people, cultivating a sharp rapier tongue might have been a wiser choice than a dull sword. fwiw

I'm glad to see Huzo carry the torch so well that's been handed to him, it's entertaining af to read,lol.  :laugh:  :bow:

:popcorn:

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 01:43:08 PM »
While the hurricane has passed north, I'm sure there's a ton of debris to clean up on the highways as well.  Getting thru Louisiana right now won't be much fun...
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 02:04:45 PM »
This just in from a pilot buddy of mine;
Never trust a weather forecast more than 4 hours old.
That is all...
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 02:08:34 PM »
Not much, as long as you’re prepared to stop when the weather gets bad, take a room and get on the sauce..
Sitting by an open fire at a good pub, with a 300 g steak and a suitable wine within arm’s reach, I’d be like a rat with a gold tooth... :thumb:
Now realistically, if you’re asking what could go wrong, do you mean alphabetically or numerically...?
As long as no one gets hurt, the low points of a trip, end up becoming the high points once you get home.

Sitting by a fire in Florida or Texas in late August early September no thanks. 
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 02:08:46 PM »
think I'll go shine up me gold tooth......

Mark

Offline philwarner

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2020, 02:42:41 PM »
Quote from: Huzo on August 26, 2020, 09:45:10 PM

"I’d be like a rat with a gold tooth..." :thumb:

SS, I agree with you, there is something with the Ozzies, and their ability to turn a phrase; it's more than just good writers and the Crocodile Dundee franchise.

Kelly

I do remember, "Look out, he's got a knife!".  "That's not a knife...THIS is a KNIFE."
1996 California 1100 carb
in Northwest Arkansas

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2020, 03:40:10 PM »
This just in from a pilot buddy of mine;
Never trust a weather forecast more than 4 hours old.
That is all...
inditx
In aviation parlance, there’s a thing called a TTF or trend type forecast.
It carries information regarding SIGMETS or significant meteorological  conditions that if they come to fruition, will reduce operating conditions to below minima.
They are issued in real time as things alter. In Melbourne there’s an old saying,
“If you don’t like the weather, just wait five minutes...”
It can be really nice and within bugger all time, can turn black as a dog’s guts.

Offline Bill

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2020, 04:16:01 PM »
Easy solution...Wait a few days, stay away from south Louisiana, Hey I would avoid S. LA on any ride. :grin:
Bill

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2020, 04:27:08 PM »
Easy solution...Wait a few days, stay away from south Louisiana, Hey I would avoid S. LA on any ride. :grin:
Bill

Talking about kicking a man while he's down.  Have you seen the storm footage coming out of LA.  LA South of I-10 is a magical place not quite water, not quite land, steeped in traditions and inhabited by some of the kindest and most generous people you'd ever meet.   Just because you put a smile emoji behind it don't make it funny.
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline Bill

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2020, 05:07:01 PM »
I worked in Cameron La for several years. I loved the people, the food, and culture. My heart goes out to those that are dealing with the results of the storm and wish them the best. But I've driven thru S. LA dozens of times going to and from work sites. It is not my favorite route  for a motorcycle ride from Florida to Texas. I've recently done several trip across S. LA, and got stuck in traffic on I-10 several times and then beat up on the poorly maintained back roads when trying to avoid I 10 That's all I was implying. My more favorite route to CROSS LA  is thru N. LA which is were my family came from. I like the forests. Now if the OP was going to visit S. LA I could tell him some really good roads to explore. Specifically LA Hwy one, and other routes  thru New Roads, the River Road, Francisville, eat cat fish in Ponchatoula, etc. I love LA and its people. But For a trip from FL  to TX, crossing  S. LA is not my first choice and never will be.
Bill

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2020, 05:19:32 PM »
Take a chance, Columbus did😂🤔
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 05:20:38 PM by Ncdan »

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2020, 05:24:34 PM »
I worked in Cameron La for several years. I loved the people, the food, and culture. My heart goes out to those that are dealing with the results of the storm and wish them the best. But I've driven thru S. LA dozens of times going to and from work sites. It is not my favorite route  for a motorcycle ride from Florida to Texas. I've recently done several trip across S. LA, and got stuck in traffic on I-10 several times and then beat up on the poorly maintained back roads when trying to avoid I 10 That's all I was implying. My more favorite route to CROSS LA  is thru N. LA which is were my family came from. I like the forests. Now if the OP was going to visit S. LA I could tell him some really good roads to explore. Specifically LA Hwy one, and other routes  thru New Roads, the River Road, Francisville, eat cat fish in Ponchatoula, etc. I love LA and its people. But For a trip from FL  to TX, crossing  S. LA is not my first choice and never will be.
Bill
:grin:

Thanks for the clarification.  My bad.

Dave

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 05:38:58 PM by davedel44 »
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2020, 06:18:05 PM »
He is happy because he THINKS he is happy.. :thumb:

You know.. rat has it right.  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Bill

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2020, 04:23:36 PM »
I'll be using "Like a rat with a gold tooth" for a long time. Says so much in a  few words.
Bill

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here