Author Topic: Well, this can’t be good: unsanctioned Guzzi vent?  (Read 1802 times)

Offline midnite

• New Egg
Well, this can’t be good: unsanctioned Guzzi vent?
« on: May 22, 2022, 07:14:39 PM »
Yesterday, after a 100 mile ride, I looked my V7ii over, and found what appeared to be an oil leak on the right side, seemingly seeping from the top bolt shown below.  I wiped it down, hoping it was an anomaly, and sure enough, it reappeared after another short ride today. I tried turning it with a hex, and it felt tight: wouldn’t budge.

Has anyone seen a ‘vent’ develop on a small block like this? I assume there’s no easy fix. For context, my V7ii was one of the lucky few with the crankshaft problem, and had the engine replaced 6000 miles ago. Total of just under 17k on the bike at this point.

Online ray bear

• Gosling
Re: Well, this can’t be good: unsanctioned Guzzi vent?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 01:08:31 AM »
dont know anything about that model but I would remove the bolt and put thread sealant on it and replace it and see how it goes.
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert
84 FLHX limited edition electra glide

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 01:49:05 AM »
dont know anything about that model but I would remove the bolt and put thread sealant on it and replace it and see how it goes.

I to don't know about this model, but I agree with Ray Bear, but as an extra I would see if I could download or borrow a workshop manual. If it calls for sealant on that bolt it would give me extra confidence. If for some reason that bolt is meant to be shorter than the others I would be checking the bolt length in case a to longer bolt was put in a cracked the back of the hole. If that is the case I would get the short bolt, apply sealant and change gearbox oil.

Steve   

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 02:17:04 AM »
I found a manual https://cadrecycle.com/manuals/technical/V7%20II%20ABS.pdf

I would remove the bolt and try and have a look down the hole. If nothing is unusual I would assume the case is porous in that hole and then follow Ray Bears advice.

Steve

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 02:17:04 AM »

Offline Pescatore

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 06:54:01 AM »
+1 on clogged vent.  Check gear box vent as well.
2008 Norge 1200
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member
Ascolta sempre e solo musica vera
E cerca sempre se puoi di capire

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 09:22:01 AM »
What does it mean? If not a clogged vent then the case sealant is leaking by that bolt hole. Gooping up bolt threads won't fix it, only pulling it apart & reapplying the sealant on front case cover. It's a 6 speed so no dry primary gears. 
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline midnite

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 10:38:58 AM »
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, all. Gearbox oil was changed six months ago with 450ml. I checked all breather components last night, and all seem to be working properly (gearbox vent was not clogged). I’ve reviewed the shop manual, and don’t see that sealant is called for, which has me concerned that there may be an actual crack in the metal casing somewhere. Though the engine was replaced about 1.5 years ago, I don’t think they would have have touched this screw in the process, and it’s been there since Luigi installed it circa 2016.

Sounds as though my next step is to remove the offending screw and inspect. Better to warm the block up first before attempting to remove?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 10:52:55 AM by midnite »

Offline midnite

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 11:23:50 AM »
Thanks, P-14. I’ll give it a go, and will report back.

Matt

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 11:44:12 AM »
I think Guzzisteve hit the nail on the head ,on this one! ( as usual   :grin::thumb:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline midnite

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2022, 02:04:09 PM »
I think Guzzisteve hit the nail on the head ,on this one! ( as usual   :grin::thumb:
Rick.

I was afraid of that! Was hoping to avoid major surgery.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 06:09:49 PM »
It wouldn't be the first time I've seen what is supposed to be a blind thread hole that inadvertently was machined through the inside or end of the casing, causing a leak.  Harley had a few Sportster/Buell primary cases: one of the lower cover bolts would leak oil because the machining had punched though the material on the inside, allowing fluid to weep out around the threads. 

Offline midnite

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 07:29:39 PM »
It wouldn't be the first time I've seen what is supposed to be a blind thread hole that inadvertently was machined through the inside or end of the casing, causing a leak.  Harley had a few Sportster/Buell primary cases: one of the lower cover bolts would leak oil because the machining had punched though the material on the inside, allowing fluid to weep out around the threads.
If this is the case, seems odd that it’d take five years and 17k miles to leak though, right? After the ridiculous amount  of time and energy it took to get Piaggio to replace my engine, I was hoping I’d have a good number of trouble free miles ahead - inspired in part by SmithSwede’s epic tales. I love the bike, but this latest development has me considering trading in on a new V7850.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 07:42:43 PM »
Trading in?

We have differing outlooks.

I'd wear an old boot on that foot, one already oilstained, ride all summer with frequent stops at the carwash.

Maybe fix it in the winter.

But we live in different ends of the state, and have differing outlooks  :azn:
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline midnite

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2022, 08:45:51 PM »
I can appreciate the oily boot perspective: may very well end up leaving well enough alone if the leak doesn’t increase over time. Just perturbed that yet another issue has cropped up while I’m still on my first set of brake pads. I’ve yet to do major engine work on a bike, and was hoping to avoid it before needing to replace a clutch. Guess it’s an opportunity to learn in the end. :smiley:

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2022, 08:50:58 PM »
Whats to lose in gooping up the thread, it can't make it worse and just might make it better.
Isn't it the clutch behind the RH side, where could the oil be coming from, I would have thought it would be a blind hole in the gearbox.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 08:56:10 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline midnite

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2022, 10:33:14 PM »
Pulled out what appeared to be the offending screw. It backed out easily. Gasket remnants were evident, and I could smell gear oil, which I’m guessing is evidence of a compromised gasket. The screw itself didn’t have oil on it, other than small traces, and the hole from whence it came seemed surprisingly clean. I cleaned up the oil around the screw before extraction:

I tried to get a good look into the hole/thread, but couldn’t see much: tiny hole, and a tough angle. She’s buttoned back up, and I’ll take her back out soon to see how the leak develops.

Thread goop? I’m game if it won’t cause problems down the road. Have a specific product in mind?

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2022, 10:58:33 PM »
I looked up the manual for the V7 engine and trans. Best as I can tell the bolt is holding the body of the trans to the front cover of the trans. No leak is good, but from what I see, the oil is not going to get to the clutch from that bolt. If it were me and from the manual, I'd either use some Loctite Thread Sealer or some Permatex #2 or Right Stuff on the threads and be done.

On second thought, I might just use the gasket sealer on the bolt, not the threads and under the washer under the bolt head. Provided the oil is not coming out from the seam between the trans body and front trans cover.

JMHO,
Tom
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 11:10:06 PM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2022, 06:59:10 AM »
I looked up the manual for the V7 engine and trans. Best as I can tell the bolt is holding the body of the trans to the front cover of the trans. No leak is good, but from what I see, the oil is not going to get to the clutch from that bolt. If it were me and from the manual, I'd either use some Loctite Thread Sealer or some Permatex #2 or Right Stuff on the threads and be done.

On second thought, I might just use the gasket sealer on the bolt, not the threads and under the washer under the bolt head. Provided the oil is not coming out from the seam between the trans body and front trans cover.

JMHO,
Tom

Ya Im on board with this also. A little sealer isnt going to really hurt anything. And really if the fix ends up being pulling the trans to reseal it.. and the problem if you don't might be pulling the trans because some oil is on the clutch...  Id really take the odds that a little thread sealer will fix me up fine for the long haul.
Paul B

Offline midnite

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2022, 09:51:32 AM »
Thanks again, all. I’ll give the sealant a try.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2022, 02:25:24 PM »
I would degrease the bolt, and hole as much as possible, with some carb cleaner spray, then goop up the threads on the bolt with some permatex black RTV silicone. You may get lucky and seal things up without tear down, or at least it may at least minimize the seepage. removing the bolt down the road should be no problem with the RTV.
Good luck
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2022, 03:21:41 PM »
Or you could just pretend it's an old Harley and let it leak.  :evil:

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2022, 05:47:15 PM »
Clean it up and trade it in.   :thumb:

Almost everyone who has traded for a V7 850 has had no regrets.   :wink:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline midnite

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2022, 07:45:14 PM »
Clean it up and trade it in.   :thumb:

Almost everyone who has traded for a V7 850 has had no regrets.   :wink:
Very tempting. Had I not purchased a 21 V85 six months ago, I’d likely be deep in research and/or negotiations already. The V7ii was my gateway Guzzi, the first, and I’d hoped to keep it a looooong time.

Think I’ll take it out for another ride or two to see how the situation develops before deciding. May try the RTV. Thanks all for the thoughts and suggestions!

Online Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2022, 03:29:01 AM »

Quote from: bigbikerrick on May 24, 2022, 08:25:24 PM
I would degrease the bolt, and hole as much as possible, with some carb cleaner spray, then goop up the threads on the bolt with some permatex black RTV silicone. You may get lucky and seal things up without tear down, or at least it may at least minimize the seepage. removing the bolt down the road should be no problem with the RTV.
Good luck
Rick.

___________________ ___________________ ___________________

Agreed, got to be worth a try. My favourite is threebond but, ultimately it'll likely need to be split and resealed eventually.
I had similar on the gearbox of my car, seems it was never properly 'gooped' when built and had a slight oil leak from the rear of the gearbox - strange how the dealer didn't point it out until after the warranty expired though.  :rolleyes:
Ultimately it wasn't that big a job and on a bike it's got to be easier (plus if it were me I'd DIY it anyway) so only the cost of the sealant and your time.

Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2022, 06:50:21 AM »
Very tempting. Had I not purchased a 21 V85 six months ago, I’d likely be deep in research and/or negotiations already. The V7ii was my gateway Guzzi, the first, and I’d hoped to keep it a looooong time.

Think I’ll take it out for another ride or two to see how the situation develops before deciding. May try the RTV. Thanks all for the thoughts and suggestions!

Is it dripping or just a weep and creep?

I've always ignored the weep and creep, and spray Balistol or WD-40 on the case and wipe down so it is all shiny and I can't tell  :cool:
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline midnite

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2022, 10:25:47 AM »
Is it dripping or just a weep and creep?

I've always ignored the weep and creep, and spray Balistol or WD-40 on the case and wipe down so it is all shiny and I can't tell  :cool:

It’s a weep n creep - for now. Just developed. Hope it stays that way!

Offline midnite

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2022, 03:23:24 PM »
Reporting back. I considered my options, and decided to try my luck at sealing up the thread with Permatex high temp thread sealant. I cleaned up the fastener and the female threads as best I could, applied a liberal amount of sealant (at least compared to a dab of loctite), and gave it a good week to cure before firing the engine back up. I went for a relatively tame (kept it under 5500 rpm) ride this morning for 30 miles, and the fastener leak is gone. I still have weeping from the gasket itself, but that's been weeping for the past 9000 miles or so. It worked! At least for now. Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2022, 03:48:34 PM »
" I still have weeping from the gasket itself, but that's been weeping for the past 9000 miles or so"

What does this mean? It leaks on that seam elsewhere?

Glad you gooped up the threads, should fix it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 03:49:59 PM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline midnite

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2022, 05:04:46 PM »
" I still have weeping from the gasket itself, but that's been weeping for the past 9000 miles or so"

What does this mean? It leaks on that seam elsewhere?

Glad you gooped up the threads, should fix it.
Yep: weeps from a portion of the seam, and has for a good three years or so at this point. Nothing serious, but the seal is compromised such that I can see and wipe up a trace amount of gear oil after even a relatively brief ride. The newly developed leak that I was more concerned about was the one pictured in my original post, which was coming from the fastener. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here