Author Topic: Anyone seen this new retro HD?!?  (Read 9507 times)

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Anyone seen this new retro HD?!?
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2021, 11:49:00 AM »
I like the new HD.

On the dropped bike thing. My EVT with a few things packed in the cases, nothing really heavy. Dropped it in a gas station, I hate the short lock to lock compared to my Loops and BMW. It was laying perfectly on the side bag and the engine guard, no tire on the ground. I was able to get it to the tires, but no further. A person came over and helped me, he said that was damn heavy.

Tipped over my Eldo in the grass. Not easy, but I did pick it up. The EVT IMHO has a high CG, where the Eldo has a lower CG??

My HD due to it's low CG feels like it should be no problem to pick up. I hope to never find out. Knocking on a large piece of wood :undecided:

Kev, there are jacks sold just for lifting bikes. Not very large when taken apart.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2021, 11:52:01 AM »
So the weak 60 year olds can ride something else.

Back in the 90's I saw an elderly woman who rode her own Goldwing.

She kept a scissor jack in one saddlebag to help her pick it up solo. Used it under a crash bar to lift it part way up till she could straddle it and pull it up the rest of the way.

It's about knowing your limits, and desire.

Can't argue against that logic..
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2021, 12:27:27 PM »
Shakespeare said it best, and not the bit about the lawyers.

Bla bla bla

Whatever

You notice I own 3 bikes that weigh about 400-450# wet.

I know the difference.

That doesn't stop me from loving my very capable and comfortable 800# wet RK which can do just fine in the twisties (read that as far past legal speeds and fun, not really all that much slower than I would choose to ride the same road on the Ducati even it comes right down to it).

I know there are tradeoffs with weight and that I don't need 800# for it to be stable, though it is FAR MORE stable than any thing else in the *stable" in crosswinds and buffeting, but that's another conversation.

But most importantly, I'm not so old and feeble that I have problems pushing it around the garage. Yeah I don't want to push it uphill, but that gets old really quick on the Monster too.

I guess I'm saying it's not a non-issue but it's quite a small one. If it's the "hill" you want to die on fine, but some of you sound like fragile little drama queens about it

I mean I just saw my 4' 10" female friend who tours on her 600# Sporty.

It's much ado about nothing.

Exactly. Well said Kev m.

Some of those around here wouldn't believe it even if they saw the 82 year old 115 pound (tops) woman who rides a Victory Vision Tour. She tends to ride way better than most others regardless of what they're riding. She even brings it to rest on its anti tip over bars and picks it up from that position when people get curious in a parking lot.

It's much more about the ability of the rider than the weight of the bike for anyone running on public roads. Just like a professional or a semi pro golfer can do much better with a $50 set of garage sale clubs than the average golfer using their $2000 set of clubs.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2021, 02:06:07 PM »
With the correct procedure a small female can put a HD electric glide back on its wheels from a totally downed position, Utube it.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2021, 02:06:07 PM »

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2021, 03:04:20 PM »
I'd think they ought to be able to shed 200 pounds off that thing to get it down to the weight of the originals.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2021, 06:14:29 PM »
Re: the retro HD I have no words that capture the ugly, they wonder why they are having no impact on the younger market and I'm not exactly part of the younger market anymore I'm probably smack bang in their target audience, it's hideous Elvis was a shill for anything he was given.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2021, 06:18:56 PM »
So Kevm , it sounds like you believe the marketing nonsense from the 1950's , the concept of "road hugging weight"  :evil:

I here about "low center of gravity" or about how weight disappears when the bike gets rolling . Well , my 67 year old self can't tell where the weight is located when trying to push 900 LBs of motorbike around the garage . As for the weight disappearing , yeah , going in a straight line is fine on a 900 LB motorbike , or even in gentle curves , but I have witnesses who can testify that on a very twisty road riding a 400 LB worn out /5 I had no trouble hanging with 30 year newer bikes with good riders on board , why , because 400 LBS .

Dusty
When my 900 lb electric glide needed moving in the basement I cranked it up and simple let the clutch out, did I miss something here?🤔😂😉👍

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2021, 06:35:21 PM »
A retro Harley? That's redundant.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

oldbike54

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2021, 06:41:24 PM »
When my 900 lb electric glide needed moving in the basement I cranked it up and simple let the clutch out, did I miss something here?🤔😂😉👍

Did you have the extremely rare glide with reverse ?

Dusty

oldbike54

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2021, 06:44:57 PM »
With the correct procedure a small female can put a HD electric glide back on its wheels from a totally downed position, Utube it.

Not if she is standing in a ditch or on any kind of a slope . That level concrete stuff is for show , those conditions rarely present them selves in the real world .

Dusty

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2021, 06:56:39 PM »
Did you have the extremely rare glide with reverse ?

Dusty
Nope the basement is by design on a grade toward the door so water can run out, so easy leg push out and drive in. Oh yea and all movements in straight lines👍
Just funning mostly buddy😂

oldbike54

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2021, 07:31:05 PM »
Nope the basement is by design on a grade toward the door so water can run out, so easy leg push out and drive in. Oh yea and all movements in straight lines👍
Just funning mostly buddy😂

Me too , although there was a letter written to Cycle World probably 15 years ago asking their tech guy it it was possible to reverse the brake control points , make the lever work the rear brake and the peddle work the front brakes . Seems he had dropped his 870 LB Harley twice in his garage by locking up the front brake at low speed with the bars turned . It was really embarrassing that the guy lived about 20 miles South of here , damn dumb Okies  :embarrassed:

Dusty

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2021, 08:16:09 PM »
Sorry, but the below is the bet lookin HD ever made...  Period

One of these just sold at Me I’m Las Vegas for $16,500.00

On the other side of the scale a batch of Sporsters from the 70’s averaged $2,500.00, check out the Mecum sold prices from Wednesday and today.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2021, 08:25:45 PM »
Me too , although there was a letter written to Cycle World probably 15 years ago asking their tech guy it it was possible to reverse the brake control points , make the lever work the rear brake and the peddle work the front brakes . Seems he had dropped his 870 LB Harley twice in his garage by locking up the front brake at low speed with the bars turned . It was really embarrassing that the guy lived about 20 miles South of here , damn dumb Okies  :embarrassed:

Dusty
When I first got the EG Lisa and I pulled up to the gas pump and when I hit the front brake to come to a complete stop, Lisa decided to shift her butt a little and three the weight balance off. With the rider on the HD sitting way above the balance line, we simply had to allow the hogs fat arse to just lie down. We were laughing to hard to worry about picking it up and our friends were just to busy taking photos to assist. The memory is priceless and yes even mishaps can be good memories 👍
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 09:42:41 PM by Ncdan »

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2021, 08:46:32 PM »
And this (from another new thread) is my idea of a good-looking Harley:

70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2021, 09:15:14 PM »
I never understood people talking about rolling bikes around in their garages.  I never roll a bike around in my garage.  I ride it in, then walk it back while sitting in the seat doing a 3 point turn so it is facing out and ready to go for the next ride.

I would never try and roll a bike around in the garage.  I'll see this at dealerships and it never made sense to me.  Ride it under power forward, and push it back with your legs while your butt is firmly planted in the seat. 

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2021, 09:44:54 PM »
I never understood people talking about rolling bikes around in their garages.  I never roll a bike around in my garage.  I ride it in, then walk it back while sitting in the seat doing a 3 point turn so it is facing out and ready to go for the next ride.

I would never try and roll a bike around in the garage.  I'll see this at dealerships and it never made sense to me.  Ride it under power forward, and push it back with your legs while your butt is firmly planted in the seat.
Thank you TWA, enough said about that issue 👍

oldbike54

« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2021, 09:55:04 PM »
 Probably because starting 40 motorbikes in an enclosed structure and letting them run for even 30 seconds is going to produce some serious levels of carbon monoxide . Plus , starting an IC engine and letting it run for really short period of times isn't good for the engine .

I make it a habit to never run an engine in the garage unless the doors are open and the exhaust is blowing out .

Dusty

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2021, 10:13:30 PM »
Probably because starting 40 motorbikes in an enclosed structure and letting them run for even 30 seconds is going to produce some serious levels of carbon monoxide . Plus , starting an IC engine and letting it run for really short period of times isn't good for the engine .

I make it a habit to never run an engine in the garage unless the doors are open and the exhaust is blowing out .

Dusty

Maybe you should drop down to a number of bikes you actually ride.   :bike-037:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

oldbike54

« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2021, 10:17:54 PM »
Maybe you should drop down to a number of bikes you actually ride.   :bike-037:

Not exactly sure what you are trying to say , I'm not a dealership which is what that post was addressing . Pretty much a one bike at a time guy , although there are currently two in the little shop .

Dusty

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2021, 06:25:45 AM »
Not exactly sure what you are trying to say , I'm not a dealership which is what that post was addressing . Pretty much a one bike at a time guy , although there are currently two in the little shop .

Dusty

Sorry. Thought you were talking about your garage since you were talking about rolling bikes around.  I understand dealerships with non-prepped bikes not running them, just don’t understand the way they move them around since legs are so much stronger than arms.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2021, 06:45:30 AM »
Sheeesh  :rolleyes:
My POINT was to EXPRESS  that this 800~900 lbs bike can be a more manageable/enjoyable/safer/efficient/powerful motorcycle IF Harley decided to throw their considerable R&D behind it and bring it's weight down. This thing doesn't HAVE to weight >800lbs !
THAT ain't happening because that Koolaid's some powerful sh!t.
Drink up boys and girls :thumb:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2021, 07:11:55 AM »
Nice Bike.

Have some of you guys spent any time in your local Harley dealer because there are a lot of young people interested in and riding Harley’s and I don’t think many are concerned about the weight of the bikes.

And I don’t think many are concerned about having to tear apart their new bikes to grease bearings or add extra fuses so their bikes don’t strand them in the middle of nowhere.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2021, 09:01:09 AM »
I’ve never weighed over 170 lbs in my life and until recently have never owned a bike much less than 800 pounds. Yes as we get near the 70 year old mark a lighter bike may be very well in our futures. I’ve always said that a bikes weight is of little issue unless it gets off balance to the point of no return and that’s totally rider error, the majority of the time. I’ve probably let a bike lie down maybe 4-5 times in my riding career and that includes my motor officer days of intense slow speed yearly training and when it did happen there was lots of laughter and assistance in putting her back on two wheels.
At 68 years old and right now in my life I wouldn’t think twice about climbing on that Hog snd riding the H out of it and who knows maybe I will, that is if I’d be willing to shell out 30k at this point.
Let’s keep our opinions on the subject light hearted 👍
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 09:02:04 AM by Ncdan »

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2021, 10:45:38 AM »
Jeezuz Francis, every opinion is not an attack on you.
Clearly in my signature line I OWN A HARLEY STREETGLIDE.
I have realized in the time and miles I've owned it that the damn thing would be so much more pleasant to me, day to day, if it was significantly lighter. The older I get, the more it is apparent TO ME that I could continue
to enjoy all the qualities of my Harley for many years to come if it weighed less. A lot less. This is possible NOW. I believe there to be lost sales potential in this older age group. I could give a rat about past HD sales, they were on their knees in the past, too. Competition has provoked HD back to a leadership roll. I wish for them to continue to lead in all areas.
Settle down my friend. Let's both enjoy what is special about our Guzzis AND Hogs and hope for their future financial health.
Peace Out.

Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2021, 11:01:37 AM »
I personally don’t find weight of a motorcycle to be a big factor for touring, I am more interested in the carrying capacity, comfort and handling for two up travel. I ride an 800 lb BMW for that task. In the city the big Beemer isn’t fun whereas a nice 400 lb bike is much more enjoyable. My buddy who has owned Goldwings since 76 has recently bought a Road King and an Ultra Classic, both of them around 8 - 10 years old. He likes both of them for back road two plan leisurely jaunts two up. I have ridden both his HD’s, I prefer the Ultra but both are OK up to 65 mph, then the comfort starts to drop off IMHO. The 2018 Wing and the K1600 are much more planted and comfortable at 75 - 85 mph
millions of folks love their Harleys and good for them, HD must be doing something right, they just aren’t for me.

48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

oldbike54

« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2021, 12:03:08 PM »
 Here's the deal , we critique and criticize every manufacturer on WG , hell , every day we criticize the brand this board is built around , but for whatever reason , even some slight criticism of the MoCo seems to bring out emotional responses from some members . Even in a thread that is mostly positive any mention of HD that isn't some glowing report seems to get people riled up .

Now we can certainly agree that if we can criticize Moto Guzzi on a Moto Guzzi board , then we can also criticize other brands , right ?

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2021, 12:22:15 PM »
The new one certainly looks better than the original.   The old bike just had dull unfinished white fiberglass bolted to a painted bike (blue, red?).  So the new one looks much sharper with nice paint and well upholstered. 

Still, any used bat wing Harley off Craig's could be given the same paint and seat job and it would be pretty close to a $30k bike for a quarter of the money <snap suspenders> ?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2021, 06:11:19 AM »
The "Revival" looks so good to me that when I had a few extra minutes yesterday, I stopped in the local HD dealership to try and see one. Like most dealers of all brands, they had only a few bikes, none of which were that model.

In the past, I have managed to be invisible in a Harley store.  My thinking was in these changed times and with HD sales down (pre -) that things might have changed, well-------------

As before, I felt like Harry Potter wearing his invisibility cloak in there.  Wandered through completely unmolested.  Although I don't look like a Harley Guy, I have owned 2 of them, both bought new.  But, both bought from dealers that were a little out of town of the major cities I lived in when I bought those two bikes.  Seems those dealers thought I looked like Harley material.

Rant over.
Blue Guzz

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2021, 07:43:30 AM »
Lot of talk about issues with Harleys and the weight of their touring bikes.  I have to agree, they've gotten far to heavy for me.  I sold my 2012 Road Glide for that very reason.  While solo on it wasn't too bad, when the wife tried to climb on and off...well, it was only a matter of time.  So I let it go.  Miss it though.  I still say if I'm going to ride across the country, I'd rather do it on a Harley than any other bike I can think of.  I think they are missing the boat on a lot more sales by not putting the R&D into knocking 100 lbs off their big touring rigs.  I know they can do it...as I recall, they shed 75 to 90 lbs off the redesigned softale bikes when they came out a few years ago.  They could call it the "Ultra Lite," or the "Easy Glide."  Harley also could gain a few sales if they developed a viable reverse gear.  I still remember getting the Road Glide stuck in a gravel parking lot in Taos, NM a few years back.  The bike sat in the lot overnight and settled into the thick gravel.  No way could I get enough footing to roll it backwards.  What a pain.  Had to find a friendly car driver to help push me back.  I wouldn't need to use a reverse gear very often, but, on an 800+ lbs. motorcycle, it sure would come in handy once in a while.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here