Author Topic: Cal 1100 front brake woes  (Read 635 times)

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
Cal 1100 front brake woes
« on: June 15, 2021, 07:28:37 PM »
I can't seem to get them bled. Had a parking lot mishap that resulted in the banjo fitting on the hose breaking. I had a new brake line made at a local hydraulic shop. I had rebuilt the master cylinder and the caliper just last year. I replaced the line and back bled it with a Motive Products power bleeder til no air bubbles were appearing in the reservoir. No brake and no joy. I then did the old method of filling the reservoir, putting a discharge hose on the caliper bleeder fitting, cracking the bleeder and letting fluid flow through by gravity. Ran two full reservoirs through the system and still no joy.
I am at my wits end. Have been wrenching on bikes for fifty years and never have had this difficulty with bleeding brakes of any kind.
Could the caliper be somehow air bound? If so, how do I fix that? It has to be still full of fluid as I haven't removed it from the bike. Its a single bleeder type.
The NH rally is this weekend. Am screwed if I can't figure this out and get it fixed.
TIA.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: Cal 1100 front brake woes
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 07:35:38 PM »
Are you talking the right caliper only and front master cylinder, or the left caliper and foot brake?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline MAC

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 08:30:59 PM »
I've been going over a'98 EV I picked up.I had a hard time bleeding the right front caliper.I discovered the lever was hitting the switch gear and not returning all the way.I moved the brake reservoir away from the switch gear and was able to bleed the brake.
Mike Cignarella
1998 EV
2008 Wing
2015 K1600GT

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 07:19:10 AM »
Right front disc, front master cylinder.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 07:19:10 AM »

F-Fred

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 08:09:38 AM »
My "old method" is to squeeze the lever, maybe multiple times, to build some pressure in the line, and then crack the bleeder on the caliper, and close it before releasing the lever.  It can be a little like playing Twister. I have had single bleeder calipers (from new) that needed the pistons pushed all the way back in after an initial bleed to get the last bubbles out.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 09:52:46 AM »
The bikes that don't work, I take caliper off & put a wrench between pads then set the thing and line up on a box on a table so it goes up w/line from master.  As you pump it up tap on line & fittings w/wrench. Caliper must be higher than master for air to go up.
This always works for me, a PIA to take line loose and all but it works.
I just spent the $ years ago & got a bleeder that works off my air compressor.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 03:31:32 PM »
You could try pushing the pistons as far into the caliper as they will go and wedging them in place  before bleeding

It reduces the volume for air to hide, just remember to pump the brake before riding
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline pat80flh

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 03:43:24 PM »
First thing I do when they give me trouble is push the pads/ pistons all the way in with a screwdriver and wedge them there, less volume for the master to overcome.
00 Bassa
80 FLH (in rehab)
84 V65C
75 850T prject

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 07:13:39 AM »
I tried all the stuff that you guys suggested. Everything points to the master cylinder being FUBARed. Will be taking the car to NH Friday.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 10:40:46 AM »
Is the piston returning all the way out when the lever is released?  If it is not, the fluid cannot refill because the hole from the reservoir is not cleared.  Maybe the piston is bent or is not installed correctly.  I have seen this to be an issue. 

I use a long clear tube from the bleed nipple back to the m.c. to keep the fluid in circulation.   A few zip ties or wire to hold in place and to keep it from dropping out and making a mess.          I can see the bubbles coming out and know when the system is full and free of air. 

Water is a friend when cleaning up.  It brake fluid is easy to clean off surfaces with straight water and a few rags. 

Online Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 02:17:13 PM »
For shits and giggles try tying the lever back to the handgrip with a bungie cord or zip strap overnight, this has cured many a spongy lever for me, may not work for you but at this point what have you got to loose?  DonG

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 06:31:55 AM »
Yes, the lever has full travel. I don't have a spongy lever, I have no brakes at all, nada. I squeezed the pucks in the caliper all the way in, I've bled the system both ways with a pressure bleeder from the bottom and gravity from the top several times. Ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit, will go from there.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 07:32:27 AM »
One thought besides the air bubble is the lever has traveled into an area which has had little use and picked up a bit of crud. Maybe you take the Master Cylinder apart and clean it.  It may resolve your issue or you may find it needs a rebuild.   

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here