Author Topic: Stornello woes & questions  (Read 408 times)

Offline Levi

• New Egg
Stornello woes & questions
« on: September 14, 2021, 11:23:30 AM »
Hello Moto Guzzi Crew!

I have a couple of quick questions for the hive-mind.

Preface:
I finally bought engine guards and a rear rack (Hepco Becker) for my '16 Stornello. I want to take it on some trips and decided it was worth the money (and aesthetic complication) to make the bike more capable for light touring. The Motorcycle gods seem to disagree with my decision. What I figured would be a 1-2 beer job at my buddy's house has become a bit of a mess.

First off, the bracket for my crash bars doesn't quite fit the holes in my frame. Note: I double-checked to make sure I had received the one for the Stornello. Not a big deal, I just need to modify the bracket a bit. I put that on the back burner and figured I'd put my rack on. My wife and I hoped to come out to the upcoming rally and I figured it would be a perfect time to surprise her with the top box and backrest. Sadly, the bolt for my shock twisted off in the lug. What's bizarre is I did everything right and boom, it twisted right off. No big deal though, I grabbed my ez out and, applied some more heat and figured it would come right out. No luck. The thing wouldn't budge so I figured I'd take a break, read up on what to do, and come back later. Sadly, my buddy, hoping to help out a bit put one more good strong twist to the EZ out which promptly broke flush with the lug. Long story short, the bike then fell off the stand while he and I were at work and was laying on his garage floor for 8+ hours. I'm not sure how it happened but it's done. Luckily the only things that seem damaged are bolt-on parts. Paint and such is fine.
All that said, here are my questions:

1) Is drilling the bit and bolt out with a dremel (carbide heads) then rethreading my best bet?

2) Anyone else had an issue with their hepco becker crash bars not mounting up right to Stornello/Scrambler? If so, what was your fix?

3) Has anyone changed out their scrambler/stornello bars to an enduro/scrambler style? If so, what do you recommend? I am looking for something a bit wider than stock and a bit stronger.

4) Does anyone have a part number/name for the backside of the broken clutch lever perch seen in the photo?

5) What brand of adjustable levers are preferred for the v7?

6) What do I need to check/drain and refill following the bike's day-long garage nap.

My apologies for such a long post and thank you in advance for any help!

I hope everyone's week is going better than mine!

- Levi

Levi from Joplin MO

1969 Ford F100
1971 Buick Skylark
1973 Honda CB 350 F
1975 Norton Commando Roadster
1978 Motobecane 50V
2003 Moto Guzzi California
2006 Vespa GT 200
2008 Vespa LXV 150
2016 V7 Stornello (#452)

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Stornello woes & questions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 11:38:05 AM »
I would take the bike to a good welding shop to TIG  a nut to the EZ Out to remove it and the bolt. I broke an EZ Out off on broken stud in an outboard cowling not commonly available. I no longer have a single EZ Out in my shop whatsoever. My old boss could remove broken studs in a breeze, probably one a week as it was a common occurrence with the old radial engines we worked on. Unfortunately he is now in a long-term care facility.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Levi

• New Egg
Re: Stornello woes & questions
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 11:48:56 AM »
Thank you! I will call around and see what I can find.
Levi from Joplin MO

1969 Ford F100
1971 Buick Skylark
1973 Honda CB 350 F
1975 Norton Commando Roadster
1978 Motobecane 50V
2003 Moto Guzzi California
2006 Vespa GT 200
2008 Vespa LXV 150
2016 V7 Stornello (#452)

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here