Author Topic: V7 Sport or 850T toolboxes on disk-brake Tonti  (Read 3553 times)

Offline sporty88

• New Egg
V7 Sport or 850T toolboxes on disk-brake Tonti
« on: October 19, 2015, 11:41:39 PM »
I would like to fit a set of toolboxes to my T3 and am interested to see pictures of how others have done it. I know it has been done before, and have already figured out that I can relocate the electricals from the left side to something like the way the factory did it on the earlier bikes (ie. coils under the tank, fuses and relays behind the battery - it helps that much of the electrical system on mine needs replacing anyway), but can't find any pictures that show how the rear master cylinder placement has been handled. All of the pictures I have seen show the cover closed.

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 Sport or 850T toolboxes on disk-brake Tonti
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 12:14:16 AM »
I think hiding master cyl in box would be nearly impossible as well as pointless
Some just fit covers that look same shape as sport boxes, aesthetic only
Some fit different cylinder (ideal if delinking brakes). weld lugs on frame, grind off OE ones
Some (myself included) fit the drum back hub, use late 850T one if you do, these have cush drive

But on my (brothers) UK bike, I kept linked brakes orig master cyl and fitted one toolbox on left side only.
I carry all tools and spares in one, prefer two but is enough.

Instead of cover hiding ugly stuff, I got rid of all electric stuff (except fusebox now on inner guard thing like V7)
Polished Honda master cylinder cap only aesthetic I did, nothing ugly to hide now.
But Motobatt battery new this year, could be painted black, yellow a bit OTT
Battery on side like this saves space too, I put spare gloves there.
Bike in front is V7 sport

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 06:45:31 AM »
I have a 850T and a T3. While the boxes on the T are nice they don't hold a lot but are better than nothing on the T3. If you run a smaller (dimensionally) SLA or AMG battery there is plenty of room to install a good sized tool box/roll in the battery compartment.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline sporty88

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 06:13:56 AM »
Thanks guys. Now you have me thinking about what master cylinder to use if/when delinking the brakes.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 06:13:56 AM »

Offline ritratto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 07:48:40 AM »
I have a pair of V7 Sport steel knock-off covers and the brackets. I can send photos if interested. These do not sell in the U.S. and are identical in appearance to the real thing.

Ted
1993 1000S
1978 G5
1998 Centauro ( oppsidaisy!)
2003 V11 LeMans

Offline sporty88

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 08:23:07 AM »
I have a pair of V7 Sport steel knock-off covers and the brackets. I can send photos if interested. These do not sell in the U.S. and are identical in appearance to the real thing.

Ted

Thanks Ted, but I already have a set of covers I can use if I decide to go that way. I also have a set of toolboxes that I would prefer to use. I'm more interested in seeing how others have done it before I start cutting any parts.

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 03:11:53 PM »
Sporty88, that is precisely what I will to do with my G5.  My plan is to give space to the electrics by using a small, sealed battery for more room under the seat and then welding mounting lugs on the frame member behind the right side toolbox for the rear master cylinder.  Maybe cob up some kind of cover for it, depending on how it looks. 
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 07:52:54 PM »
The T covers are really nice and hold a lot of tools and parts etc.  I had to really work mine over but now they are fully functional and great.

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 09:41:33 PM »
I'll try and get pic of bike with BMW rear cylinder (delinked) for you, but  any modern rear all work the same way so look at cylinder you can get (GC) before making stuff
Rather than make brackets and then buy cylinder, easier to do it other way round, all I've done have been different master cylinders, just what was available on day.
Except my racebike, used an AP lockheed on that, but was new and dear, wouldn't do that again. Cheap is good, free even better, get a Brembo if you care that it's not Japanese, will get pic of Tonti like that too when I see mate with it

For front delinked, best & cheapest I've found is 14mm Nissin from CBR600 , exactly matches my needs.

I'll prob delink the UK bike one of these years, after my Aus one riding linked again is always hard work for first week, like not having a front brake.

Could fit rh toolbox then too, definitely handy, one of those things that was on every bike once, now not even thought about.
Why doesn't current V7 have toolboxes ?

Offline LarryinKC

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 08:44:31 PM »
I used a remote reservoir rear master cylinder mounted on a bracket under the swimgarm. I think it came off a Honda CBR600. I have done 2 this way with no problems, the rear brake feel is good.

It bolts to the lower frame rail bolts.

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 10:32:56 PM »
that's a cool mod. Great work

Offline sporty88

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 01:51:54 AM »
I used a remote reservoir rear master cylinder mounted on a bracket under the swimgarm. I think it came off a Honda CBR600. I have done 2 this way with no problems, the rear brake feel is good.

It bolts to the lower frame rail bolts.

Thanks Larry, looks like a neat solution to the problem.

Offline mgmark

• Hatchling
  • Those schnitzengrubens can wear you out.
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 08:41:46 AM »
I wanted to do the same thing as you. I'm doing a retro rebuild on my '85 LeMans 1000 into a 750S styled bike. I bolted on the left side tool box after relocating the electrics. For the right side I wanted to keep the linked brakes but that means cutting the back out of the tool box and losing the storage, so I decided to use the tool box lid as a side cover only. This left a gap so I welded a 3/4" strip along the back side of the lid the fill the gap, and it mounts on a regular T3 frame bracket.
just another idea.
Mark

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 05:17:37 AM by mgmark »
1984 LeMans > 1985 LeMans + 1978 LeMans > 1989 Lemans > 20 years later, 1985 Lemans > 1980 SP1000
2019 Triumph T100 Bonneville

MGNOC #11062

Offcamber1

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 09:01:26 AM »
I have had two different 850Ts and found the tool boxes very useful for tools, registration, insurance cards, spare sunglasses etc.  In addition to the functionality, I also think they are really pretty and add character to the bike.  And they are made of metal dammit, not plastic.

The V7 Sport covers are cool if you like to show off the splendid triangulation of the Tonti frame.

Offline Aldo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Ton-Up"
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 01:51:26 AM »
I would like to fit a set of toolboxes to my T3 and am interested to see pictures of how others have done it. I know it has been done before, and have already figured out that I can relocate the electricals from the left side to something like the way the factory did it on the earlier bikes (ie. coils under the tank, fuses and relays behind the battery - it helps that much of the electrical system on mine needs replacing anyway), but can't find any pictures that show how the rear master cylinder placement has been handled. All of the pictures I have seen show the cover closed.

I've done this on my 1000...kept everything in the stock position because I preferred it that way. Don't have pics handy, but will try to take some and post here. Some modifying of the cover set involved though.

***updated with pics***

Some cutting required but everything fits inside just fine. Same three original mounting points used and they open/close with the key as designed:

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:44:38 AM by Aldo »
'19 RE Interceptor, 98' Cali EV, 95 Duc 900SS
GONE: '72 Eldo,'75 Convert,'04 Thruxton,'89 Guzzi Cafe,'99 Duc 900SS,'79 Guzzi 1000 'SP'ort,'14 Harley '48','12 V7 Stone,'72 Benelli 650S,'82 Guzzi 1000SP,'72 N. Falcone,'75 T3 850,'00 V11S,'78LeMans 1,'89 LeMans,'76 Morini 350S,'89 Duc 750S,'01 Kaw W650

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here