Author Topic: Calling all California Special/Bassa Owners!  (Read 38401 times)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Calling all California Special/Bassa Owners!
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2008, 07:27:33 PM »
I don't own mine anymore but the new owner isn't on here and I can't resist joining a foto fest!

took it to the west coast,

around lake Michigan,

wisconsin or is it Iowa?,

colorado trip,

you get the picture,
there she goes but I don't really miss her. i traded even up for an 02LM
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

skibum

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2008, 08:01:56 PM »
Alas, no photos - but I love my 2003 California Special Aluminium.  Handles wonderfully and purrs at highway speeds.  It's completely stock, except for the Guzzi backrest/rack (direct from Agostini) and the dual plate clutch/lightened flywheel setup installed in response to a poorly designed single plate system.  I've only got 10k on it, but hope that will soon change if I can ever get a day off work.  I think its a work of art, almost comparable to my brand new (to me) '97 Sporti.  ;D

Moto Chuggin

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2008, 09:48:32 PM »
We need more threads like this one.  ;D

Offline motoscotto

• Hatchling
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 11:29:23 AM »
1999 Black Bassa, handle bar set backs, National Cycle Bags and Windshield, Grand touring grips, throttlemiester, my own custom exhaust crossover, Paugcho turnouts, Power commander, K&N air cleaner with opened air box, dynoed at Rice Lake Harley. Also I made the floor boards and Hyway Pegs.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:31:16 AM by motoscotto »
1996 1100 Sport RED
1987 Blue&Cream Heritage Softail
1983 Honda CB 1000
12013 Artic Cat Red 500 ATV
1980 Suzuki GS 550 (1)
1974 Honda CL 360
1977 Honda CJ 360 T

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 11:29:23 AM »

motorcycleinfo

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2008, 05:59:28 AM »
Mine is an '07 California Vintage. She's not a Special, but she's quite special to me! ;D
Great collection of Californias so far, let's keep this going!
JD

gus

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 08:59:24 AM »

todd900ss

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »
This is my 1999 Bassa,  I like the looks of the Bassa but could do without some of the chrome.
YSS shocks, Hyperpro fork springs, 5.5mm fully floating Brembos, Harpers floorboards, xover, 30mm SS handle bars.
Its my daily rider. I noticed allot of posts on this thread  are people in Georgia, we should all get together sometime.
I know of two other Bassa owners that are not on this board. One has a pearl white 1999 Bassa, he is also Georga.
Another friend has a Black 1999 Bassa.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 07:29:26 PM by todd900ss »

Offline Atlanta Guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2008, 09:41:02 PM »
This is my 1999 Bassa,  I like the looks of the Bassa but could do without some of the chrome.
YSS shocks, Hyperpro fork springs, 5.5mm fully floating Brembos, Harpers floorboards, xover, 30mm SS handle bars.
Its my daily rider. I noticed allot of posts on this thread  are people in Georgia, we should all get together sometime.
I know of two other Bassa owners that are not on this board. One has a pearl white 1999 Bassa, he is also Georga.
Another friend has a Black 1999 Bassa.

WOW!!!  What a bike!  We definitely need to put together a California "mini-rally" just so I can see a blue & silver Cali Special/Bassa in person.  :)

Actually...the small rally idea is not a bad thought.  I wonder if we could plan a spot for several Cali owners to meet, with the goal of having at least one bike from each paint scheme/model for the past 10 years or so?  It would be a pretty cool group photo!

There was a beautiful blue & blue 98 EV at the Georgia Campout this past weekend (wish I had seen it before the batteries died on my camera  ::)).

Anyway, sweet bike Todd and please let us know if all that chrome becomes to much of a problem.  I'm sure one of us is willing to help you out and take that bike off your hands.  :D ;)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:47:21 PM by Atlanta Guzzi »
Robert Lockhart
2001 California Special

Offline Atlanta Guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2008, 11:13:22 PM »

Update on the Cali Count

Specials/Bassas

Black - 5

White - 7

Yellow - 2

Blue/Silver - 2

Brown/Tan - 1

Special Sports

Black/Red - 1

Black/Copper - 1

Metallic Silver/Silver (Aluminum) - 1

EV's

Maroon/Black - 1

Vintage

Black/Chrome/White Stripes - 1

Robert Lockhart
2001 California Special

todd900ss

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 11:24:08 AM »
Thanks Atlanta Guzzi, I will live with the chrome until the Vintage's come down in price on the used market.

motorcycleinfo

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2008, 11:33:03 AM »
Thanks Atlanta Guzzi, I will live with the chrome until the Vintage's come down in price on the used market.
It's probably not too late to find a brand new '07 left-over for a negotiated discount.  Saw one on Ebay recently from a dealer in NC that was selling an '07 Vintage with 400 miles on it (demo), but I didn't check to see if it sold.  I love mine and am thankful the bank still had money to lend.

Chicago Mark

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2008, 10:57:42 PM »
It's been too long since I've done it but yesterday I was able to go for a nice ride on my beautiful blue and silver Bassa. Man, these are great bikes. I think of the Bassa, V11 Sport, EV and Jackal as the last of the true Moto Guzzi designed and engineered bikes. Soon after these bikes, Aprilia's influence in design and engineering showed up.

Have an awesome ride,

Mark 

Offline Atlanta Guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2008, 12:42:55 PM »
Mark - I still want to twist your arm into posting a picture of your bike.  ;)

I think Aprilia bought Moto Guzzi in April of 2000.  As you mentioned, the model lineup prior to Aprilia's influence was the Bassa (US), Cali Special (Europe & US), Jackal, and EV.

Why we saw both Bassa's and Cali Specials in the US for 2000 & 2001 is a good question.  I've been told that Aprilia may have made the simple management decision in 2000, following the acquisition, to maintain a single moniker for the bike.  ???  At the time this model was the only bike in the lineup that was being marketed under two names for different regions of the world.

Following the acquisition, the wave of Aprilia/Guzzi Cali's were the California Special Sports and Stones (both with various colors).  Although I also enjoy owning one of the last pre-Aprilia models, I like the Aprilia influenced combinations too.  A two-tone black/red Cali Special Sport was almost my first Guzzi. 

I guess you could say that the vintage is the first Piaggio/Guzzi Cali?  Piaggio bought Aprilia (which owned Guzzi) in August of 2004.  The Aprilia influenced Cali's were already in production.  The US received EV's, Cali Special Sport variants (Aluminum, Titanium), and Stones in 2005, and first "new" model Cali was the Vintage, which showed up in 2006/2007.

While writing this post...I just realized that the Vintage could be the last California built in the old factory?

Anyway, regardless of which model someone may own, I think it's great that a "version" of the California has been in production since the '70's.  My favorite is the Bassa/Cali Special...but I like them all.  :)     
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 12:47:26 PM by Atlanta Guzzi »
Robert Lockhart
2001 California Special

Offline SoCalDon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2008, 06:02:59 PM »
Any of you guys want to trade your
stock handle bars for a Alu/Ti Drag Bar set up?

PM me!
Don Garcia
1976Vert2002EV2014Stelvio NTX

Offline SoCalDon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2008, 06:40:05 PM »
Don Garcia

Offline SoCalDon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2008, 07:05:37 PM »
Don Garcia

Offline SoCalDon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2008, 07:53:32 PM »
Any of you guys want to trade your
stock handle bars for a Alu/Ti Drag Bar set up?

PM me!

Don Garcia

Howeird

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2015, 09:27:18 AM »
Here is the 99 bassa i am currently restoring,had to ride it the way it was.....I am hooked,i love this bike ive had thirteen harleys and many brittish and japaneese bikes,but this bike feels and rides beautiful. She is tore down and getting custom paint,still searching for side covers.Well just thought id chime in...Rusty   no pics to hard to dwnload

Offline marcmorrison

• Hatchling
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2017, 09:07:17 PM »
WTB Bassa or Special....would prefer pearl white, stock with documented history.  Currently ride MG Cali 75th Ann...really like the looks and ride of these bikes.  Contact me at wooster830@windstream.net if you have something or can provide a lead.  Marc..central Texas
1999 MG Bassa (pearl white)

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2017, 07:44:17 AM »
I have a black '99 that I bought new, 150 k miles on it, sidecar went on about 15k miles ago.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2017, 09:08:40 AM »
Winchester Motosports in VA has a nice one on consignment, just scroll down
http://www.winchestermotosports.com/consignment-sales/
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Atlanta Guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2017, 09:16:54 AM »
Wow!  It's funny how times change.

I rarely if ever visit this site anymore, since getting changing jobs, getting married and having a 4 year old to keep me busy.  So I get a message out of the blue, check this site, and here is a list I started 9 years ago!  :grin:

I still have my bike...but rarely have time to ride it.  I attempted to put it up for sale last year, but was so busy with projects at work and family activities I couldn't even keep up with all the requests for information and interest in buying it it.  ....Oh, well.

For anyone with some patience, I'll be try to put it up for sale again since someone else would get more more use out of it than me.  Send me a note if interested, and this is a fly-by-the-seat if your pants sale.  Lot's of Guzzi gear to go with it, but not a lot of time to list it all.

Thanks!
Robert Lockhart
2001 California Special

Bill Hagan

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2017, 09:28:43 AM »
Wow!  It's funny how times change.

I rarely if ever visit this site anymore, since getting changing jobs, getting married and having a 4 year old to keep me busy.  So I get a message out of the blue, check this site, and here is a list I started 9 years ago!  :grin:

I still have my bike...but rarely have time to ride it.  I attempted to put it up for sale last year, but was so busy with projects at work and family activities I couldn't even keep up with all the requests for information and interest in buying it it.  ....Oh, well.

For anyone with some patience, I'll be try to put it up for sale again since someone else would get more more use out of it than me.  Send me a note if interested, and this is a fly-by-the-seat if your pants sale.  Lot's of Guzzi gear to go with it, but not a lot of time to list it all.

Thanks!

Guzzisteve's post this morning and your own checking on w/g, Robert, were pretty darn serendipitous!  :grin:

For anyone musing about following up on Robert's Guzzi, let me assure you from miles of riding with Robert and hours watching him in the GarageMahalo that he is meticulous in buying, owning, maintaining, and all the other "ings" involved in m/c ownership.

Whoever gets his Cali will get a beautiful beast from a gentleman of a PO.

Robert, Kathi says "hi" to you, Melonie & Ana-Verie. Come up this way and visit sometime!

Bill

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2017, 09:49:21 AM »
Pretty nice Yellow one Robert has, I didn't know if it sold yet, now we know.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Atlanta Guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2017, 10:17:30 AM »

Bill & Steve - You're both too kind as always.

Also, responding via my phone is now a lesson in grammar skills when using a tiny screen and typing with your thumbs!!  :laugh:

This is an impromptu sale, so contact me to discuss and make me an offer.  I've got a lot of Guzzi gear from all the years of owning this bike, so if this is something that might peak your interest bring a big truck.  Here's my most recent photo, probably from late September.

photo upload

BTW - I have a really sweet Watsonian GP700 sidecar I'll try to post on one of the sidecar websites over the weekend too.  Just one of those projects I never had time to complete.

Thanks for your interest,

Robert

Robert Lockhart
2001 California Special

Offline marcmorrison

• Hatchling
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2017, 06:13:33 PM »
The Winchester Moto Sports Bassa sure looks like what I would want...have submitted an inquiry as to additional specifics and will go from there.  Thanks to all for the leads.

britman

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2017, 06:15:06 AM »
The Winchester Moto Sports Bassa sure looks like what I would want...have submitted an inquiry as to additional specifics and will go from there.  Thanks to all for the leads.

Sorry Marc, the Winchester Bassa lives at my house now.  I bought it months ago, apparently the owner of the business is a little slow removing his stock photos.  Keep looking, they show up on Craigs and Flea Bay every so often and all the best on your search......

George

image hosting api

Offline marcmorrison

• Hatchling
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2017, 09:18:34 AM »
George...thanks for the update on the Winchester Bassa....the hunt continues.  Marc

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2017, 07:02:57 PM »
I realize that the Vintage is not a Bassa or a Special, but I saw that you counted one so here is mine...an '07:

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2017, 07:21:51 AM »
Here's my new California. Not a Bassa, not a Special, not a Cal III, not a Vintage, just a straight up California. Tt's pretty special. It's one of the 15 LeMans powered '91 Californias that Guzzi sent to the US.

I'm exploring seat options. The Corbin is nice but man is it tall. Anyone know if a seat from a California Vintage comes anywhere close to fitting?

upload pic
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here