Author Topic: People are hoarding gasoline down by me  (Read 7505 times)

Online John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: People are hoarding gasoline down by me
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2021, 11:29:42 AM »
I would suspect the Rule of Supply and Demand "would" kick in.  Prices will go down drastically when the fuel starts flowing to relieve the glut at the refineries.  Not gonna happen.   

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2021, 12:19:59 PM »
funny how the price of fuel in the west really hasn't gone down. 

I suppose all that gas for the east was probably presold and preloaded to head east and couldn't be shipped west?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2021, 12:45:10 PM »
The price per gallon here in central NC jumped from 2.70 yesterday to 2.99 this morning, and that’s every fuel service company, large ones like Shell snd BP to Mom and Pop grocery and gas. I guess it’s a mission accomplished event??
Makes one speculate at best and confirm at worst?

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2021, 01:14:29 PM »
If that's the case then a big Thank You is in order and I took it too personally. I'll blame it on the post-pneumonia steroids making me irritable and overly sensitive.  :rolleyes:

Amen!

that's been my experience thruout most of life.  People who get offended are those who take stuff personally and are overly sensitive.

the day one realizes that is like the day you lance a painful boil.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2021, 01:14:29 PM »

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2021, 01:15:25 PM »
Cheerfully stolen from another site with the heading.. They walk among us.. :shocked: :grin:

silly behavior.  I woulda just filled up the trunk with gasoline.....
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2021, 01:53:19 PM »
Cheerfully stolen from another site with the heading.. They walk among us.. :shocked: :grin:

Maybe its not as dumb as it appears. I think most think she is filling the tub but it may just be two or three 2 1/2 gallon cans or plastic gallon jugs.

Pete

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2021, 02:01:35 PM »
I’m given to wonder if a hoarder mentality is all that much different than a collector mentality.
The acquiring of larger amounts of something than you can currently use, due to the artificial enhancement of it’s perceived value driven solely by it’s rarity.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 02:31:47 PM by Huzo »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2021, 02:13:37 PM »
Just got back from a ride, they are pumping fuel in cars here in town. Shortage didn't last long.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2021, 02:29:54 PM »
No worries. I have a drum or 3 left from Y2K.... Rama noodles, anyone?   :laugh:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2021, 03:39:07 PM »

WOW!  Where do they have four grades of fuel?  Pretty impressive!

I'm surprised no one stopped this person from their stupidity and I also wonder how she lifted it into the car.  If she were smarter, She would have left it in the car while filling it up.   :drool:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2021, 04:25:24 PM »
I read on Friday when we were on vacation about Colonial getting hacked by ransomware. I knew it would be bad and I’d hit the ground running when we flew back into ATL. Hence why I haven’t gotten around to posting remaining pics. I’m only at home today bc I had had my second - shot and am feeling crappy today. So, here is what happened.

Colonial pipeline got hit by a ransomeware attack. It initially hit their financial servers. They shut the whole system down to prevent further incursion. Kinda smart if you ask me. Colonial however supplies 45% of fuel on the EAST coast. Especially the southeast. It’s a GA based company. There was no fuel replenishing the numerous tank farms that we load our tanker trucks from. The public started paying attention to the reports on Monday. Yes people started panic buying. Lines at stations like I’ve never seen (born in ‘76, don’t remember the 70s gas crisis) Stations were hitting sales records. The new Costco in Dallas GA was selling over 2,000 gallons per HOUR. Kroger’s were selling up to 1,200 gallons per hour! Yes all those stations with black plastic bags are OUT of fuel.

Remediation efforts. The national DOT has relaxed hours of service rules for gas haulers. Meaning we can work longer hours with less rest. Hey, we gotta do more with less. GA, and surrounding states relaxed weight requirements for gas haulers. I’m hauling 9,200 gallons of gas per load. About 84,000 pounds gross vehicle weight. (4,000 pounds over) there are still tank farms that are getting their fuel from unaffected pipelines. However, we’re ALL having to go there. You know the lines y’all see? Well we have to sit in line too to load our trucks. There’s more trucks than loading capacity. So that slows down delivery. Also, people are such morons that they will not yield their place in line to the gas truck who trying to deliver what they want!!!  :violent1: the reason stations will have gas in the morning is we run 24/7. Night shift drivers show up and deliver gas. Something else that is a consideration. Gas suppliers purchase daily allocations based on the average sales of stations. Smaller slower stations have much smaller allocations. When they run out of allocation they have to wait for the new batch of fuel to be pumped in. Usually at night. If the fuel is not flowing they cannot get fuel.

What the next few weeks holds. Colonial is restoring their systems as of yesterday. They are being deliberate and cautious. I personally approve. Once fuel pumping is back to 100% the process of refilling stations will be a slow one. Our industry does have a driver shortage. On average gasoline tanker companies have 20% of their fleet sitting unused because of lack of qualified drivers. It’s a hard job that requires attention to detail and safety. The wages at freight companies and standard trucking companies are equal to what we make. So really, what incentive is there to put your life and health at risk if you’re not going to be compensated accordingly. That is changing. Before the hack happened our company rolled out a 15% base wage increase. Other companies are doing the same. Yes this means the price of gas will go up. Cry me a river. Gasoline is carcinogenic and dealing with inattentive and/or outright aggressive drivers adds stress and risk. So much so that Sunday is my last day hauling gas! I’m out and not looking back. The easing of hours of service is going to make things even more dangerous. I want no part of it. Spotty outages will be par for the course this summer. But not because of a lack of fuel. It will be because there is no one to deliver it.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2021, 04:42:34 PM »
Perhaps critical businesses will go away from the internet and have hardened intranet.  Physical key login and hardwired?

I'm sure there are experts here that might have some insights.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2021, 05:21:05 PM »
If she were smarter, She would have left it in the car while filling it up.   

Now, you know they tell you to put plastic tanks on the ground when filling them to remove the static electricity hazard.  :smiley: :boozing: She's just doing the right thing..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2021, 06:14:44 PM »
Hi GeorgiaG,                                                                                                          5-13-21

Thank you for that 'on the ground perspective'. 
Best of luck to you moving forward.   :bow:

Be well, stay well,

DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2021, 06:22:42 PM »
WBTV in Charlotte NC reported tonight that a woman was charged $9.999/gallon at a Mobil station in North Charlotte.

Wow.   :shocked:
1990 MilleGT

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2021, 06:49:58 PM »
I am surprised that the gas has not melted through plastic bags and other plastic containers. When gas was on the rise years back I had an uncle that filled a bunch of gallon milk jugs and stored them under his house in the crawl space. Luckily he died of old age causes not burned to death.
GuzziJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2021, 06:58:35 PM »
I’m given to wonder if a hoarder mentality is all that much different than a collector mentality.
The acquiring of larger amounts of something than you can currently use, due to the artificial enhancement of it’s perceived value driven solely by it’s rarity.

Wow!  If 70% of the Wild Guzzi frequenters don't find that offensive, it's only cause they didn't read your post!

Always good to hoard something useful really.

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2021, 07:06:33 PM »
Now, you know they tell you to put plastic tanks on the ground when filling them to remove the static electricity hazard.  :smiley: :boozing: She's just doing the right thing..

Beat me to it.

Safety first!

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2021, 07:54:18 PM »

:thumb:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2021, 09:10:18 PM »
Probably one of the reasons you can't pump your own gas in Oregon. Most will let motorcyclists pump their own however.
kk
Always found that mildly amusing. I'd ride up to the pump and the attendant would take the nozzle off the pump and hand it to me!   :huh: 

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2021, 06:43:47 AM »
There are videos of people pumping gasoline into plastic tubs and even plastic trash bags.....  :embarrassed:  :evil: Darwin is having a good laugh.

Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2021, 07:00:18 AM »
We can probably find another crisis to mull over as this one is over for the most part. A guy I met on the Antique Honda forum I’m on text me this morning and advised he came down to central NC yesterday, from Mississippi, without any issues and heading back this morning to Mississippi. He was pissed though because the Honda swap meet he came to didn’t have anything but Harley stuff.
Well I guess you win some, lose some and a few gets rained out. Such is life.
Have a great weekend my fellow MG Pals👍

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2021, 11:17:02 AM »
"Always found that mildly amusing. I'd ride up to the pump and the attendant would take the nozzle off the pump and hand it to me!"

Same in NJ....

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2021, 11:25:05 AM »
All good, BUT, is the gas up on the Mtn in Suches. Got to make a call so maybe Bob will show up!!!
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2021, 11:42:43 AM »
My street Guzzi had a weird problem, it would run around the neighborhood fine, it would run WFO fine, but at highway cruise it would die and backfire. A lot of things had been going on lately, I stole the carbs from the street bike for my Land Speed project only to get them back (with altered jetting) when a friend loaned me better. I gave up my Dyna ignition for the racer, and built up a dizzy with dual points and condensors. I was back from my racing trip, and was using the last of a race gas/pump gas mix from the racer in my street bike. So with all this, I had no idea what the problem was, ignition, carbs, fuel, or even ignition switch gone bad. I drained the tank and has 3 gallons of suspect fuel. When I filled my van the other day, I got a gallon in a legit gas can for the bike. I spent yesterday, changing out the entire ignition (used single point Eldo dizzy), I bypassed the ignition switch and went through the carbs. I also replace a leaky petcock. Poured the 1 gallon in the tank and took off. Headed for the highway and was immediately running at 90 MPH and having a blast. About 25 miles into this joy ride I realized I only had 1 gallon. I limp off the highway and beging looking for gas. Of course every empty station had none, and those with lines had some, but lines. So I decided to go into conservation mode (this is a convert) and I made it home albiet with some lean stumble and sneezing back through the carb. I put the 3 gallons of suspect gas back in the tank...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2021, 01:06:31 PM »

Hi all,                                                                                                          5-14-21

Stations are beginning to re-open here in western NC.  Lines are not too bad.  Sanity is creeping back...at least at the gas stations  :wink:

Be well, stay well,

DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2021, 01:46:41 PM »
Filled up the tank this morn and took the mighty GRiSO out for a 135 mile romp. Life is goooood. :azn:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

bobrebos

« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2021, 07:06:36 AM »
Filled up the tank this morn and took the mighty GRiSO out for a 135 mile romp. Life is goooood. :azn:

:thumb:

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2021, 07:25:04 AM »
Things are improving but sanity may still be a few miles away..

This is what you get here in SC when you mix a trunk full-o-gas & stolen tags with a police chase... After the inevitable happened, the officer tackled the running & flaming driver to put her out-  https://www.wyff4.com/article/woman-hoarding-gas-catches-on-fire-following-car-accident-in-pickens-county-deputies-say/36424705#
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Milosh

• Hatchling
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2021, 08:06:03 AM »
"Always found that mildly amusing. I'd ride up to the pump and the attendant would take the nozzle off the pump and hand it to me!"

Same in NJ....

-Stretch
I lived in New Jersey for the first half of my life (before I escaped). I've never had that happen.
___________________ ___________________ __
“An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.” – G.K. Chesterton

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here