Author Topic: Need help: Bike starts but dies shortly after  (Read 2474 times)

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Need help: Bike starts but dies shortly after
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2021, 12:05:36 AM »
Update/Good News:

I decided to follow your idea/fuel feeding issue, and it worked like charm !
When I pulled out fuel pump ( it was easier to pull out of tank than I expected/read horror stories of ),
found out that the pump motor had come off the fuel pump assembly, and was just hanging around by the wires.
Somehow the plastic claws that hold the fuel motor in place and deformed enough/bent outwards, so the claws were not holding fuel motor in place.

Since this was my first time to work on any fuel pump, I could not immidietly see that as a problem,  I didnt know the correct position of fuel motor in fuel pump assembly. It came to my mind suddenly, and decided to test if my thinking was correct or not.
I had to decide on how to keep fuel pump motor in correct/original place in the assembly.
I decided to go with wraping a metal wire arond the motor including the original plastic claws/clamps.

I had previously chrged battery fully indoors using the charger.

WIth fully charged battery and fuel pump motor in correct position, it bike started and stayed running like a champ !
No low fuel light this time.

Oh yeah, I also cut-off rubber grommets to get gas tank bolt aligned, which was a pain before.

I have not yet done riding test or run it until using up all gas in tank, but somehow I feel confident about that.

Thank you all for your valuable support and tips/tricks/guidance ! really appreciate that.

Take care.

Good news indeed. The pumps are normally assisted in the plastic mount claws by a plastic tie wrap as well. Congratulations on your first troubleshooting success

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 12:08:40 AM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline ChrisG

• New Egg
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2021, 09:55:10 AM »
Great!
I like happy endings.  Show us a picture of the bike.
Current: 2022 V7 Stone 850
Gone: 96 California 1100i, 2008 Breva 750, 06 Breva 1100, 2007 Sportster,1971 BMW 75/5, 1969 Triumph Trophy
Forgotten: A couple Hondas, a Yamamaha, ??

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2021, 11:54:16 AM »
Been there and done that!
Replaced all the rubber bits on K100RS (BMW).
Bike died in Vermont.
Start, idle and rev fine but die under load.
Turns out an in tank fuel hose fell off the in tank pump.

The injectors were being gravity fed.
I had no idea that injectors could run when only gravity fed.
So I never investigated the fuel pumping system.

Tuition for that lesson was $700 counting flat bed ride to the dealer.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2021, 09:45:22 PM »
Just go in the bar on the corner and ask "Who owns that pick up outside" Might find someone needs a few bucks.

I think I spoke too soon when I said bike started and kept running like a champ :(

1. Yes, It did start and ran at idle speed and a short drive at ~45mph for about 30-40 mins.
2. Then as I took it out for longer ride, after couple of miles, I felt/heard sputtering, throttle not responding, and "EFI" and "Low Fuel" light came ON ( gas is was almost full ).
3. Bike was able to run for few mins after lights and sputtering and went dead while riding on road :(.
4. I was able to stop on shoulder of the expressway, and put on hazard lights.
5. Waited for 5-10 mins, tried to start it, it started, ran for about a mile and then stalled. This time trying to re-start all I could hear was clicking sound from relay etc.
6. I called a tow truck and got it back to my place, as there was no other option I could think of.

I suspect:
1. Since it ran fine at idle when parked, could it be that battery is not getting charged ? I may be loading battery more during riding as opposed to parked at idle, as I turn ON the High beam lights during riding, which maybe using more current.
How do I test if the battery charging circuit is operating properly ?

I hope its just simple battery not getting charged issue, and not some completed EFI/Fuel Pump issue.
Will try to jump start/check battery voltage tomorrow/asap.

Meanwhile please, provide any help/guidance.

Thanks in advance.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R
2012(?) Grisso 1200 SE <- (thinking of selling)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2021, 09:45:22 PM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2021, 10:11:04 PM »
Sounds like it may be a charging issue, possibly something you caused working on the bike
Measure the Voltage while running it should go from about 12 Volts after starting to 13+ at 2000+ revs in fairly short order if its charging.
Its a fairly simple system on the Breva, look for a blown fuse or one of the connectors not plugged in.
------------------------------------------------------------
I recommend getting a battery Voltmeter, an easy place to wire it is across the park light in the headlight bucket there its only connected while the key is On, that way you will never be in any doubt, I have one of these on my V7. Running heated gear its very easy to overtax the charging.
https://www.amazon.com/DAIERTEK-Voltmeter-Waterproof-Universal-Terminals/dp/B08D1QNH6G/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&keywords=Automotive+Replacement+Voltmeter+Gauges&qid=1639801185&s=automotive&sr=1-12-spons&ts_id=15729811&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQlNFR0RUT0Y1NUcxJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTgzOTc3MVM1SERRTEFaV1JOTCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDQ3NjAzMU0xTDVUUDVFVkI2RiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 10:27:57 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2021, 10:27:15 PM »
Sounds like it may be a charging issue, possibly something you caused working on the bike
Measure the Voltage while running it should go from about 12 Volts after starting to 13+ at 2000+ revs in fairly short order if its charging.
I recommend getting a battery Voltmeter, an easy place to wire it is across the park light in the headlight bucket there its only connected while the key is On
https://www.amazon.com/DAIERTEK-Voltmeter-Waterproof-Universal-Terminals/dp/B08D1QNH6G/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&keywords=Automotive+Replacement+Voltmeter+Gauges&qid=1639801185&s=automotive&sr=1-12-spons&ts_id=15729811&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQlNFR0RUT0Y1NUcxJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTgzOTc3MVM1SERRTEFaV1JOTCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDQ3NjAzMU0xTDVUUDVFVkI2RiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Yes, I am suspecting battery charging issue more and more, as it started and ran fine for about 30-40 mins, with freshly overnight indoors charged battery, which I had installed back in morning.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2021, 12:28:49 AM »
Looks like it. The plastic clamps holding fuel pump motor were deformed. Dont know if previous owner/s used ethanol based/added fuel or not.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2021, 12:32:06 AM »
Good news indeed. The pumps are normally assisted in the plastic mount claws by a plastic tie wrap as well. Congratulations on your first troubleshooting success

Ciao

Thank you so much and everyone who helped here.
I didnt see any plastic tie wrap around pump motor. The wrap would have helped, I am fairly sure.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2021, 12:33:08 AM »
Great!
I like happy endings.  Show us a picture of the bike.

Thanks.
Ok, I will try to post a picture asap.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2021, 12:41:18 AM »
Its a fairly simple system on the Breva, look for a blown fuse or one of the connectors not plugged in.
I recommend getting a battery Voltmeter, an easy place to wire it is across the park light in the headlight bucket there its only connected while the key is On, that way you will never be in any doubt, I have one of these on my V7. Running heated gear its very easy to overtax the charging.

I like your idea of voltmeter. Will start looking into that asap. Thanks for  your help.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2022, 08:51:22 AM »

Yes, you were correct. It was a blown fuse. Thank you so much for your help/guidance.

I was able to check the fuses, and found one of 30amp fuse was blown ( certainly caused by my mistake of jump starting using car ).

I have replaced that fuse, and then found that there is about 13.4/13.5 volts at around 2500-to-3000 rpm.
Drove the bike bike, and now it runs with no problem !

Now, the fuel pump, fuel leak, blown fuse all have been sorted, and finally i am able to drive the bike whenever i want to :)
Happy about that, and learned so much from this.

Thank you all so much !
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2022, 11:05:18 AM »

I like your idea of voltmeter.
Any suggestions as to where to install voltmeter on bike ?
I will also, try to think of a good place.
I could use some tips on how to go about tapping the parking light supply as you mentioned.

Thanks.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2022, 02:55:21 PM »
Yes, you were correct. It was a blown fuse. Thank you so much for your help/guidance.

I was able to check the fuses, and found one of 30amp fuse was blown ( certainly caused by my mistake of jump starting using car ).

I have replaced that fuse, and then found that there is about 13.4/13.5 volts at around 2500-to-3000 rpm.
Drove the bike bike, and now it runs with no problem !

Now, the fuel pump, fuel leak, blown fuse all have been sorted, and finally i am able to drive the bike whenever i want to :)
Happy about that, and learned so much from this.

Thank you all so much !

Your charging voltage looks too low to me. You should be getting 13.8 to 14.2 max

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2022, 06:07:06 PM »
I like your idea of voltmeter.
Any suggestions as to where to install voltmeter on bike ?
I will also, try to think of a good place.
I could use some tips on how to go about tapping the parking light supply as you mentioned.
Thanks.
One way is to pinch a sheetmetal bracket between the handlebar clamps.
I just spliced a wire to the park light wire inside the headlight bucket
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 06:15:31 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2022, 07:32:14 PM »
Your charging voltage looks too low to me. You should be getting 13.8 to 14.2 max

Ciao

Ok. Understood. I will try to keep an eye on that.
Thanks.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2022, 07:35:23 PM »
One way is to pinch a sheetmetal bracket between the handlebar clamps.
I just spliced a wire to the park light wire inside the headlight bucket

Ok. Understood. Thanks. I will try to do same/similar.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here