Author Topic: Milestone, finally!  (Read 4027 times)

Vasco DG

Milestone, finally!
« on: January 03, 2015, 07:22:34 PM »
Well, I've been very busy in the last few months and haven't had the chance to ride as much as I would of liked but today I finally clicked over 80,000km on the Griso.

A very early A5 motored example mine should, if you believe the whining on the Internet, have been a fragile grenade so unreliable that it should only be ridden a few km at a time and so riven with problems as to make it an object of despair!

In fact the exact opposite is true, it's been faultlessly reliable. The only things that spring to mind as even noteworthy are that it once, after riding in heavy rain for four hours, did the 'Water in the speedo sensor' trick. It dried out when parked and has never done it again. It also in winter will mist it's dash along the bottom of the screen on longer trips. Apart from that it has been a turnkey proposition and I'd have no hesitation going outside today, getting on it and riding to Perth. Despite what some people may think there is absolutely nothing about the 8V that makes it any less reliable or enduring than the old pushrod engine it replaces.

In a couple of months I'll be installing a roller top end in mine. Why? Because I can! At that time I'll be pulling the heads as you have to to shim the inlet valve springs. That will enable me to give the top end a bit of an examination to guage wear. I think if anything is likely to be conspicuously worn it will be the exhaust guides but I wont know until I've got it apart.

I love this bike. Best motorbike I've ever owned by a country mile.

Pete

Vasco DG

Re: Milestone, finally!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 09:08:03 PM »
Doesn't everybody have a piece of stuffed poultry on their motorbike? ???

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 12:04:36 AM »
Gawd, how I wish my dash would read +27 degrees. It's snowing out!   :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

beetle

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 12:37:31 AM »
Ye Gods man! Those Griso's are crap! The jugs will explode without notice, taking off your nads and creating a tear in the space-time continuum out of which will pour anti-Guzzi's that will annihilate any Guzzi they touch and cats and dogs will live together and Justin Bieber will win a Grammy and BMW riders will start waving to other riders!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 12:37:31 AM »

Vasco DG

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 12:53:46 AM »
And suspenders will cease to snap and corn-cob pipes will resolutely refuse to splinter their stems! I forsee the end of the whirld as we know it!  ;D

Pete

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 06:54:47 AM »
Doesn't everybody have a piece of stuffed poultry on their motorbike? ???

Of course!
Turned out it's me......

PS looking forward to your observations when you change the top end!
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 08:44:26 AM »
  We've all been reading for several years now about the hideous cacophonous top-end noises emanating from Pete's old A5 engined Griso. Yes, the kind of noise that makes dogs bark and mothers hide their children when he rides by. I am of the opinion that this is the very reason for the apparent long life of the engine! Yes, that's right....since the engine was obviously so carelessly assembled with no regard for correct tolerances and specifications, the parts are actually only contacting each other 1/4 of the time! Any dullard should be able to surmise then, that this engine will have four times normal lifespan due to 1/4 the wear! Simple.  ~;

Terry
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here