Author Topic: What was the smaller battery for the 98 EV ( I want to mod the seat)  (Read 610 times)

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
I’m getting my EV back next week!! It’s got the meds comfort seat on it but I want to cut out the hump and move the computer.  Which battery is smaller and allows the clearance?  I guess I’m going to whizzy wheel the hump and cover it with an aluminum plate? Fill in the cavity with foam maybe? I need to try and make it better before I go Corbin/ russell. Thanks! Gus
1994 California 1100

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
The later EV Tourings came with a "half" battery, Spark 500 from memory.  This was to allow some room for the mandatory environment filter for the fuel tank.

I haven't done any measurements, but I think you'll be lucky to fit the P8 ECU in this spot.  Perhaps a lithium battery might make more room.

Or you could change over to the smaller IAW 15M ECU, but you will need a later wiring loom at least.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
I have done a couple of those. The Spark 500 was a good battery and made by Odyssey. That is the battery I put in can't remember if it was the 680 or smaller size.
To work you have to cut the tabs on 1 side(heat sync)of ecu. Go slow and create no heat in cutting. They are for mounting ecu in another application.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
Ok great thanks for the info
1994 California 1100

Wildguzzi.com

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
The Spark 500 was a good battery and made by Odyssey.

The best!  I had two EV Tourings that came with the Spark 500s,  They lasted twelve years and died within a month of each other.

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
. maybe a gel type battery is the answer ? You can mount them on the flat if you want And they can be physically smaller. One worked fine in my Cali 1100i

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
My LeMans and my Centauro both use an Odyssey PC545 so I changed the California to that for commonality. Works fine.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
And, the Spark 500 is a "repainted" copy of the PC 545.  The Odyssey is an exact fit in the Centauro, and really the only thing that will work in that bike.  The battery compartment is alomst "molded" around the battery.

Howard
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Offline Charles in Lake Charles

• Gaggle Mentor
I use the STX12-BS for $32.99 from batterysharks. https://www.ebay.com/itm/STX12-BS-YTX12-BS-UTX12-GTX12-BS-MBTX12U-CTX12-BS-PTX12-Replacement-Battery/323332195018?epid=18027213003&hash=item4b4819c2ca:g:pR8AAOSwoudW6lcd:sc:USPSPriority!70605!US!-1&frcectupt=true
It seems  to work fine and cheaper than the PC545 for $112. The only thing is the battery posts (-&+) are reversed.
TOYS:
98 Yellow Centauro, 93 SPIII, 1978 LeMans,
1977 Convert, 1975 850-T (FOR SALE),
1985 Harley FLTC, 1985 K100RT
2001 Lees-ure Lite Camper,
1988 Mercedes 560SL

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
Does anyone have a picture of a big computer EV with the smaller battery and computer relocated?
1994 California 1100

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here