Author Topic: Long-term reliability of relocating P8 ECU beside battery on 1998 California EV  (Read 313 times)

Offline al_roethlisberger

• New Egg
As part of my research into reinstalling an OEM main and pillion seat on a 1998 EV with the P8 ECU, I had noticed that one approach to finding more versions of California seats from other years that may fit was to relocate the P8 ECU vertically beside the battery after using a narrower battery.

This can be seen referenced in the following threads:

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=100800.0

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=83772.0

Specifically:

Easy.  Might have to undo the brackets so you can move the wire harness.  Stock harness and ecu drop in the compartment alongside an Odyssey 680 battery.  ecu doesn't have a gravity sensor so it doesn't care about orientation.  I added the rubber sheeting just to help insure rain and wash water can't get in too easily.  Done.

So my question for anyone that took this P8 ECU relocation approach is how well it has worked out long-term?

I was curious if anyone experienced any issues with heat, vibration, moisture, etc causing problems with the P8 ECU being relocated beside the battery, or if it is has been fine.

Also, how well have these smaller (narrower) batteries like the Spark 500 (rebadged Odyssey 545?) or Odyssey 680 been able to maintain enough reserve and CCA to start the bike and maintain lighting, etc. on a California?

Thanks
Al
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 09:12:18 PM by al_roethlisberger »

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
That picture is Regina's HDM EV.  I can tell by the Bagster tank cover.  We moved the ECU into that position in order to reshape and lower the seat pan.  The bike now has more than 100K miles.  Never any issues.  (tap wood)  Hard to see, but an old pied of rubber inner tube is hanging over the frame at the top of the picture.  That sheet of rubber gets folded over the ECU connector and sandwiched between the ECU and the battery.  Protection against most water intrusion.  The bike has survived some day-long rides in the rain.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

• New Egg
That picture is Regina's HDM EV.  I can tell by the Bagster tank cover.  We moved the ECU into that position in order to reshape and lower the seat pan.  The bike now has more than 100K miles.  Never any issues.  (tap wood)  Hard to see, but an old pied of rubber inner tube is hanging over the frame at the top of the picture.  That sheet of rubber gets folded over the ECU connector and sandwiched between the ECU and the battery.  Protection against most water intrusion.  The bike has survived some day-long rides in the rain.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Sounds like this modification is a reliable approach to relocate the P8 ECU and allow some other seat options for a 1998 California with the under-seat P8 ECU.

Has the smaller Odyssey 680 battery maintained enough reserve and CCA for normal operation as well?

Thanks for the quick and helpful first-hand feedback Patrick.  Much appreciated!

Al

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Yes the 680 battery worked good for over 7 years for me.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

• New Egg
Yes the 680 battery worked good for over 7 years for me.

Excellent, thanks!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here