Author Topic: Seat interchangeability between California EV years for a 1998 EV  (Read 509 times)

Offline al_roethlisberger

• New Egg

Specifically related to a 1998 California EV with the P8 ECU located under the seat, what years main and pillion seats are "bolt on" (no modifications required) compatible with a 1998 EV in the two following scenarios:

1)   With the P8 ECU in it's original under-seat location, are there any other year California main & pillion seats than the 1998-specific seats that will fit without any (or any significant) modification, and of those years which are the best choice such as appearance and comfort?

2)   If the P8 ECU were not an issue, say being relocated elsewhere, what years main & pillion California seats will fit without any (or any significant) modification, and of those years which are the best choice such as appearance and comfort?

Also, will any pillion seat from the California series bolt-on even with the P8 ECU in place, or is the pillion specific to the 1998 model as the main seat is?

I'm keeping an eye out for 1998 main & pillion seat set, but in the meantime am curious what the options are, since looking only for a 1998 set limits options of course.  And I've read that the 1998 main seat is less comfortable than other years due to its accommodation of the P8 ECU, so again am looking to understand what OEM alternatives to the 1998 seat there may be.

I am not currently interested in aftermarket options, as I'd like to return the stock appearance, height, and width of the seat set.

See page 58 in the parts diagram linked below for reference:

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/download/GU021.pdf

Thanks!
Al

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Re: Seat interchangeability between California EV years for a 1998 EV
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 09:39:46 PM »
The problem with the original seat is the shape of the plastic pan.  There is a 90 degree recess designed in to fit around the front ridge or corner of the ECU.  On long rides, the foam gradually compresses and your ass ends up sitting directly on this lateral, 90 degree ridge.  We moved the ECU, cut the ridge out of the seat pan, and re-foamed the seat.  Now, 600 mile days are no problem.  I have all the work pictures if you need them.

At one time there was a chap named Rich Maund in the southeast who was rebuilding 98EV seats.  His solution was stiffer and higher foam.  I have a Maund seat on my 98 EV.  Works fine, but not for the vertically challenged as it sits you much higher than stock in order to keep your ass away from the offending ridge.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 10:04:04 PM »
The problem with the original seat is the shape of the plastic pan.  There is a 90 degree recess designed in to fit around the front ridge or corner of the ECU.  On long rides, the foam gradually compresses and your ass ends up sitting directly on this lateral, 90 degree ridge.  We moved the ECU, cut the ridge out of the seat pan, and re-foamed the seat.  Now, 600 mile days are no problem.  I have all the work pictures if you need them.

At one time there was a chap named Rich Maund in the southeast who was rebuilding 98EV seats.  His solution was stiffer and higher foam.  I have a Maund seat on my 98 EV.  Works fine, but not for the vertically challenged as it sits you much higher than stock in order to keep your ass away from the offending ridge.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Thanks for the quick feedback, and yes any photos or other guidance you compiled and can share on modifying the ECU location and seat is much appreciated.

What I'd probably ideally like to do is identify the best fit non-1998 seat options for the main & pillion that would work after the P8 ECU is relocated.

I'm also curious if it is just the 1998 main seat, or both the 1998 main & pillion that have specially molded pans to accommodate the P8 ECU.

Thanks!

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 10:32:12 PM »
In 1999 and later, the ECU was upgraded to a much smaller 'M15' version and it was relocated to under one of the sidecovers.  However, Guzzi continued to use the offending plastic seat pan for several years before providing something newer and better.  Might as well use up the old parts inventory, even if it is designed like a medieval torture implement.

IIRC, Corbin made a more comfortable seat.  The original Guzzi seat is two pieces.  The passenger seat is bolted in place and the pilot portion snaps into a latch so that it can easily be removed for access to battery and tools.  The Corbin version was a lengthy, one-piece affair.  It was held against and into the luggage rack by a couple of Allen screws.  Needed tools to remove it.  Where are the tools?  Under the seat.  DOH!

Patrick  Hayes
Fremont CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 10:32:12 PM »

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2023, 10:41:07 PM »
In 1999 and later, the ECU was upgraded to a much smaller 'M15' version and it was relocated to under one of the sidecovers.  However, Guzzi continued to use the offending plastic seat pan for several years before providing something newer and better.  Might as well use up the old parts inventory, even if it is designed like a medieval torture implement.

IIRC, Corbin made a more comfortable seat.  The original Guzzi seat is two pieces.  The passenger seat is bolted in place and the pilot portion snaps into a latch so that it can easily be removed for access to battery and tools.  The Corbin version was a lengthy, one-piece affair.  It was held against and into the luggage rack by a couple of Allen screws.  Needed tools to remove it.  Where are the tools?  Under the seat.  DOH!

Patrick  Hayes
Fremont CA

I wonder if the 1997-ish and earlier seats, the ones with the "tuck and roll" buttons, are a bolt-on fit if the ECU is moved?

Per your comment, I also wonder what years MG stopped using the "ECU cutout" pan, that also would bolt-on to a 1998?

I am familiar with the Corbin, but it doesn't fit me well as it sits too high and wide, and personally I don't like its appearance, so that isn't an option.  I really like the appearance of the OEM seats, so hope to find the right combination of a good bolt-on fit and comfort.

It is starting to sound like maybe a dremel-modified 1998+ ECU cutout pan seat may be one approach were the offending ridge is removed?

Maybe a 1997 and earlier seat?

Maybe a 1998+ seat that at some point (what model year) that no longer has the ECU cutout pan and is also a bolt-on fit?

All experience and advice is welcome on what will work.

Thanks again!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 10:43:30 PM by al_roethlisberger »

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2023, 11:27:57 PM »
One thing to consider is how much you weigh. I had a 96 Cali with the same seat and CPU setup and could ride all day with no pain or numbness. Reason being I'm a little guy, only 145 pounds, and I didn't compress the seat enough to "ride" on that offending ridge in the seat!

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 07:56:46 AM »
One thing to consider is how much you weigh. I had a 96 Cali with the same seat and CPU setup and could ride all day with no pain or numbness. Reason being I'm a little guy, only 145 pounds, and I didn't compress the seat enough to "ride" on that offending ridge in the seat!

Thanks, and that's true I'm sure.

Unfortunately even at my lightest and best shape back in college I was almost 190lbs.  I'm 230lbs now  :wink:

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 09:16:56 AM »
My '95 Cal, with carbs, had the same seat pan with the cutout for the early ECM. I removed it and welded in a new piece of ABS to reshape the pan and added a piece of foam to fill the void. I recontoured the top of the foam to move my butt rearward a bit and had a local upholsterer recover the seat.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 09:42:40 AM »
I believe 2002 and back had the ECU "bump". IMS, the 2003 & 4 will snap right in????

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 02:41:56 PM »

My '95 Cal, with carbs, had the same seat pan with the cutout for the early ECM. I removed it and welded in a new piece of ABS to reshape the pan and added a piece of foam to fill the void. I recontoured the top of the foam to move my butt rearward a bit and had a local upholsterer recover the seat.
Larry

Thanks Larry, that really is interesting.  I guess MG was planning ahead for when they would move to FI on the California platform?

I believe 2002 and back had the ECU "bump". IMS, the 2003 & 4 will snap right in????

Thanks, that is helpful.  Not sure about the 2003+, but that would be good news if so.

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 03:58:55 PM »
  Be careful, the 2003 seat will give you butt-itis in 50-70 miles!  I had Sargents redo my seat and I'm real happy.  That said, they used my original base and I sent them pictures with a straight edge across so they could see what I wanted to do.  (2003 EVTouring)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 03:59:51 PM by dguzzi »
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 04:19:47 PM »
  Be careful, the 2003 seat will give you butt-itis in 50-70 miles!  I had Sargents redo my seat and I'm real happy.  That said, they used my original base and I sent them pictures with a straight edge across so they could see what I wanted to do.  (2003 EVTouring)

My 02 stone is a one piece with no bump for the computer, but like your 03...  its a 50 mile seat. Hate it.
Paul B

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2023, 04:41:01 PM »
Thanks for the additional information everyone.

Now if I can just locate a nice used OEM seat for this generation California  :wink:

I have a post in the forsale/wanted "Swap Meet" sub-forum.

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2023, 06:05:17 PM »
Just a side note here Moto Guzzi started providing bikes with fuel injection as early as 1994, so seats from that era will have the bump problem, whether carbed or FI.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2023, 08:57:20 PM »
Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
Patrick did it the hard way.
Went through this explanation a couple of times.
On my '98 V11EV I filled the notch in the seat pan flush with kids modeling clay.
I reinstalled the seat and jumped my 200 pound butt vigorously all over the seat.
I removed the seat and thoroughly examined the modeling clay.
The computer didn't make a mark in the clay!
The computer does not go into that annoying 90 degree divot.
So I just cut the divot off with my trusty Dremel tool.
Rode it cross country and back (7,000 miles) in comfort.
I did it the easy way.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2023, 09:57:53 PM »
Patrick did it the hard way.
Went through this explanation a couple of times.
On my '98 V11EV I filled the notch in the seat pan flush with kids modeling clay.
I reinstalled the seat and jumped my 200 pound butt vigorously all over the seat.
I removed the seat and thoroughly examined the modeling clay.
The computer didn't make a mark in the clay!
The computer does not go into that annoying 90 degree divot.
So I just cut the divot off with my trusty Dremel tool.
Rode it cross country and back (7,000 miles) in comfort.
I did it the easy way.

Thanks for the additional insight and experience  :thumb:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here