Author Topic: Have Fun, Kids!  (Read 957 times)

twowings

Have Fun, Kids!
« on: May 27, 2016, 05:24:01 PM »
Something for those of us stuck at home tonight:

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/passion-for-speed

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Have Fun, Kids!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 06:19:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing. If I wasn't so devoted to Moto Guzzi, Indian would be the brand I would associate myself with. (well, Triumph does produce some sweet ass twins that really trip my trigger.....)

Skippy   
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
Re: Have Fun, Kids!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 06:04:57 AM »
Thank you!  I am going to reserve going through this for when my wife can watch, too.  She is a big fan of Indian, primarily the Thunder Stroke motor.  Which is stunningly beautiful.  I tend to find it too pretty.  The Guzzi motors are the most cool functional techno-retro glad I have one wow look at that motors.  But the airhead BMWs, the EVO, and the Indian are contenders.  My VStrom may have the most ugly motor - I pretend it's not there!

But Indian.  I rode a Chief.  Wonderful, majestic, cool, steady.  Too long a rake.  Bet the Chieftain is easier with less rake.  Incredible engine.  Effortless on the super slab.  The Scout has a great engine, too, but the position nearly killed me, legs all kicked out and what not.  Still, wonderful machines, look to be made well, and with great looks.  I'd like to borrow a Chieftain and run through the Dragon, back over Cherohala.  Then I'd know whether I could really enjoy one.  The 1400 is like it's on rails in the mountains and on the superslab.  Chieftain would have to really perform to equal that.

A great thing to do is to look at Indians in a showroom, ride one around a bit, then walk into a Harley dealership.  Gaudy and clunky looking.  Not that I wouldn't take a Road King or a Super Glide Custom, or even a Sportster 1200 touring were one cheap enough, but they're so dated!!

Now if S&S would come out with an engine in the Indian Thunder Stroke style we would really have something.  I'd be tempted to pull a touring standard together all designed to showcase the engine. 

Compare:  http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-Harley-Davidson-FXDCDynaSuperGlideCustoma.jpg 2009 Super Glide

with http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/roadmaster-thunder-black

Older Super Glide is about 600 lbs, 56 HP (82 cu in), 73 ft-lb, 64" WB, 28 degree rake.   Excellent, probably get a late 1990s for $8000.  New Switchback (same thing) $17,000.  96 HP, 92 ft-lbs

Super Glide w/ S&S V124   125 HP flat 3500-5500, 137 ft-lb, in custom mode with big non-teardrop tank and higher seat, touring setup, probably 650 lbs.  Dead engine Harley $2000, engine $10,000, custom work $3500 = $15500. 

Indian 111 cu in, 65.7 cu in, 25 degree rake, about 800 lbs in light weight mode, 75 HP lots of torque. Over $20,000

Guzzi 1400 700 lbs, 96 HP, 87 ft-lb, 63" WB, 32 degree rake, about $15000 or less on sale

The Indian just weighs too much and is too much money.  The Super Glide is excellent, but has that Harley fit and engine.  With a good deal of work, a custom standard based on a dyna chassis could be feasible and run circles around the others.  The Switchback is really nice, but still a low bike not as easy to handle.

Indian just ends up being beautiful and too heavy.  It's a shame.  Now put that Thunder Stroke in a 60" WB modern alloy chassis with a lighter grand touring approach, there's something. 

Regardless, the Guzzi stacks up great.  Not quite enough torque to really get exciting (that is a good thing), but generally just wonderful.  I know the Indian would prove ponderous and I doubt I could survive pulling in and out of my house!!!  And I love the Harleys until I sit on one.  The Super Glide Custom / Switchback is comfy, but looks like a Harley.  De-Harley one of those and go through it, would be an excellent bike.

Overall, I'd rather add another Guzzi over getting one of the current Indians.  But I sure would like one!!!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here