Author Topic: Cabin Fever  (Read 8643 times)

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
Cabin Fever
« on: February 05, 2015, 05:36:59 PM »
I wrote this earlier today, and thought I posted it; but I guess I didn't. My attitude hasn't improved all day.

Cabin Fever

I just looked outside and we’ve managed to pick up another 3 or 4 inches of snow overnight. To add insult to injury, it’s still snowing; though very lightly. I just looked at the 10 day forecast on Intellicast (“Powered”by the Weather Channel) and there’s snow in various amounts predicted for various amounts for seven of those ten days. The temperatures aren’t supposed to get above freezing. It’s only going to get up to the single digits for a couple of days. The high for Friday 2/13 is supposed to be 6˚ F, though the high temp for the day before is going to be a roasting 30˚.

I’m sick of this crap. I want the weather to improve. I feel like I’m living in the frozen circle of Dante’s Hell. My attitude is about as warm and inviting as the weather.

I feel stuck indoors. Although I go out on a daily basis, there’s no joy in being outdoors. I live on a fairly steep hill, and walking up the middle of the street with my feet slipping and sliding on the snow (they do such a wonderful job of plowing here) while listening intently for approaching cars is not my idea of a good time. (To look at the positive, it’s good exercise).

I haven’t been on my bike in weeks, and I’m really feeling the loss. That does nothing positive for my attitude either.

I’ve been planning to sell my Guzzi and get a Sportster, as you all know. Well, I saw one on Craigslist that really grabbed me. It was priced a bit on the high side, so I figured it would still be there when my bike sold and I had the money. I really had my sights set on it but somebody else must have felt the same way as me ‘cause it sold.  That didn’t help my day get any better.

Last night, I was sick of playing games on my computer and there was nothing interesting happening on any of the forums, so I turned on the Idiot Box. The only thing I could find to watch was the movie It Happened One Night. I’ve only see it about 94 times. I fell asleep on the couch a couple of minutes after it started and woke up a couple of minutes before the end. As soon as it ended, the Channel did an encore presentation. I fell asleep a couple of minutes after it started, and woke up a couple of minutes before the end again. Then the Channel was going to show a remake that was made in 1956, but with a different title. The plot line was identical, from the description on the channel guide, so I shut the Goddamnnoisybox off.

But then, I was wide awake, since I’d slept through both showings of the movie. There was still nothing happening of interest on the Internet, so I cleaned my toilet at 12:30 AM. I almost cleaned the stove, but decided that I’d wait until this morning, so I could see better in the daylight. I also decided not to run the vacuum cleaner across the carpet. Unlike my neighbors on the second floor, I try to be considerate when it comes to noise.
So I put a relaxing disc on and listened to some soothing Classical Music while I played Jewel Quest until 2:00 AM, then went to bed.

To put a positive spin on this insanity, I think that God is putting all this in my life to help push me to travel this summer. If my living conditions suck bad enough, then I’ll be more inclined to move out to where things are different. Or something like that.

Anyway, I just needed to bitch a little (or whine, if it makes you feel better using that term). The bottom line, as always, is that WINTER SUCKS.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

crc

Re: Cabin Fever
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 05:47:15 PM »
yes winter does suck. on the bright side time goes so fast these days so the seasons don't last that long

redrider

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 05:59:04 PM »
Crusty, do what I do. Hook up a boombox to the computer and watch a vid. Sub woofers feel great though socks. I use a Bosch jobsite radio with inputs. Feet on the frame. Want me to send a vid?

lucydad

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 06:28:08 PM »
Crusty,

Oh man, bummer. Reminds me of winter in Anchorage, AK.  Long, dark, wet, cold, icy.  Did I say long?

Our Houston, TX area winter has had a lot of cold/rain overcast.  I do not do well with that situation being a desert rat by nature.

Won't rub in weather forecast for the weekend and a V7R that is going to get run hard, and lunch meet-up bike ride with buddy Mitch.

Hang in there.  Spring always comes.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 06:28:08 PM »

Offline creaky99

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 06:33:24 PM »
Gee Crusty, if you don't like the weather up there, why don't you lodge some complaints??
Once you go over the hill, you pick up speed!

'98 Moto Guzzi EV11

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 06:41:31 PM »
Hello?? You need to be spending this time productively, going through camping catalogs, looking at maps, dreaming about where you are going to go, what you are going to do, and wondering about what great unexpected experiences you are going to have. <shrug> Seems simple to me..  ;D I'm already dreaming about the Oregon nationals...and finally that trip down the west coast that I've always wanted to do.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 07:46:05 PM »
  You obviously do not have a TW200 to play in the snow with.  Suggest you get one.
  You can even use them in the summer, no schitt.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 06:03:14 AM »
Hello?? You need to be spending this time productively, going through camping catalogs, looking at maps, dreaming about where you are going to go, what you are going to do, and wondering about what great unexpected experiences you are going to have. <shrug> Seems simple to me..  ;D I'm already dreaming about the Oregon nationals...and finally that trip down the west coast that I've always wanted to do.

I have been. I've got my tent, sleeping bag and "self inflating" pad figured out, what bike I want to get and how I want to set it up.  I've also been deciding what to throw out, give away and put in storage. However, it's cold, windy and it's supposed to snow for 7 of the next 10 days. Hell, one storm (Actually, it's three separate storms that are arriving on successive days) is supposed to start Saturday and not stop until Tuesday. The nighttime lows are supposed to drop below Zero (F) on several nights And the daytime highs are well below freezing. I'm sick and tired of having to work so hard at finding things to feel good about. Next year at this time, I hope to be a few hundred kilometers north of our esteemed Mr. Roper wearing a s**t eating grin and a suntan after having spent the previous nine months wandering around the USA. But for now, I have to put up with a miserable New England winter.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline NorthRider

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 06:37:08 AM »
Crusty, why don't you consider moving to a warmer climate?
I used to get depressed every winter in Northern Michigan. Call it seasonal affective disorder or just the feeling of being trapped by the weather. I hated it! So this year I moved to Florida!
I gotta tell ya, I am one happy camper this year! I love the warm, (it's not hot at all these days.) sunny weather. Not only am I able to ride the MC, but I have also been riding my bicycle a lot this winter. The exercise has also improved my mood immensely.
I found it is not all that expensive to find a place to live down here dispite of what you hear about Florida  property values. And this is just Florida. I'll bet there are other southern states with even better deals out there.
Bottom line is this...if you don't like the lane you are in, change lanes.

2013 Suzuki TU250X
2009 Buell Ulysses XT
2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
2008 Honda Goldwing
1992 Honda Nighthawk

"What is that"?
  "It is a Italian Enigmatic Poly-cylinder dual sport".
"Huh"?
  "A Moto Guzzi Quota".
"What"?

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 06:46:37 AM »
....  But for now, I have to put up with a miserable New England winter.

Winter sucks here in Central PA too.    We didn't get as much snow as you, but, our roads have been badly poisoned with salt for about 6 weeks now.    I last road a motorcycle on the day after Christmas, as I don't want to subject any of my bikes to the salt.    I can deal with the cold, as I have good heated gear, etc.    I'm really starting to think about a beater bike that I don't care about getting rusted up with the salt.    The good news is that winter is about half over.    Considering that winter weather often starts in November around here, or at least the cold weather does, warm weather is closer ahead than the amount of time since it was last warm.

In the meantime, I'm using the time that I can't ride to to some much needed organization of my shop, install a real heating/cooling system, and catch up on bike maintenance.

I too am REALLY looking forward to spring!

Hang in there, buddy!

Crusty, why don't you consider moving to a warmer climate?
Bottom line is this...if you don't like the lane you are in, change lanes.

Changes in attitudes, changes in latitudes!

I used to get depressed every winter in Northern Michigan. Call it seasonal affective disorder or just the feeling of being trapped by the weather.

I definitely suffer from S.A.D. too.     The sun is setting about 45 later than it was in mid December.    Just be able to drive to and from work in the daylight, vs. driving in the dark has improved my mood a little.    Now, we just need a string of above-freezing days, and some rain to wash this damned salt away!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 06:51:37 AM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Cheese

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 07:20:57 AM »
Things were looking up here in the arctic (upstate NY) yesterday as the sun was actually radiating some heat on my back as I shoveled, yet again. It was nearly 20F, then reality struck along with -10F this morning. More snow through the next 5-7 days. It does get tiresome this time of year which leads to lots of fantasizing about nice warm places to retire/ride/live..Living vicariously through Delorme maps of WV, Pa, Tn, Ga, NC, ..you get the picture.

Think Spring!

Peter

redrider

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 07:30:06 AM »
At some point, humans decided to inhabit cold places. Later, leisure time and hobbies were invented and things went downhill.

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 07:42:09 AM »
I took up cross country skiing. Since the cross skiing club and the canoe club were pretty much the same people and at least the Brule River was spring fed much of it was open in the winter so some hardy souls would do both on the same day! I've canoed it in the winter but never got to ski on the same day.

But if you insist on living there in the winter a winter activity to look forward to, in my ever so humble opinion, is a must have. Then you have something to look forward to and enjoy. Snowshoeing, skiing, competitive snowman making; good for your health and can be fun. Or work if you get too competitive. :)

Before I skied I would hike the local state parks with a camera.

If you can't talk yourself into a winter activity that will get you out and enjoy winter then your best bet is to get the hell out. Life is too short to be miserable half the year.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 07:59:39 AM »

If you can't talk yourself into a winter activity that will get you out and enjoy winter then your best bet is to get the hell out. Life is too short to be miserable half the year.

That's why I'm planning to be in Queensland  next November. I have a motorcycle there that's been in storage since 1997, and I can refurb it and get it running. The weather is sunny and hot there during their summer (our winter) and I'll be staying with my best friends.
I don't enjoy any outdoor activity in the winter. My ankle was crushed back in the '90s and it hurts like a toothache in the cold. I don't ski, skate or enjoy leisurely walks through the park at this time of year. If I could afford it, I would have moved by now, but there are too many other things that I have to get sorted out before I can do that. It's all coming together, but it won't reach the kick off point for another few months.
In the meantime, I just needed to vent my frustrations a bit.

'07 Norge

Offline swmckinley54

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 08:06:14 AM »
Get on a plane and go somewhere warm........be spontaneous, adventure awaits you!
Steven Mckinley
Austin, TX
2016 Eldorado

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 04:05:06 PM »
Get on a plane and go somewhere warm........be spontaneous, adventure awaits you!

If I was single w/o a child in school, I'd do that.   :'(
Unfortunately, responsibilities of life (and job) preclude the ability to do this.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 04:20:53 PM »
               I have been pretty much restricted for a month and agree that being cooped up is the pits, especially for us folks who love the outdoors. Having something to read has helped me.......a little :)
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 05:38:14 PM »
C'mon down to Louisiana, Crusty. The weather has been great, I have several running bikes, raw oysters are $5/dozen, and its Carnival season!

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:50:45 PM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 05:54:28 PM »
Hey Crusty, we have 5-10 more inches of fluffy white stuff enroute - glad you haven't deserted. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 06:06:29 PM »
Hey Crusty, we have 5-10 more inches of fluffy white stuff enroute - glad you haven't deserted. ;D ;D ;D

More than that; I just watched the Weather on channel 5 and Harvey is calling for 8 - 15+ by Tuesday. Then, it's going to get "Bitterly Cold". Low temps out my way of -10 to -15 F and a high temp of 6 F on Friday.
I don't think I'll be out on the Norge for at least another couple of weeks.
Boy does this winter really suck.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 06:11:23 PM by Crusty »

'07 Norge

Offline dlapierre

• Gosling
    • Habitat Farm
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 06:59:03 PM »
Well. I have to tell this story. It's been overcast it seems for weeks around here. And, lotsa snow. I've been grumbly, too. But, today was a good day.
The power went out, as it often does around here. When I called the hydro emergency line, they said they are still investigating. That's code for " we don't know where the problem is".
Next thing I knew, the BC Hydro truck was in our yard. We're on a farm and two high power hydro lines run across it. The technician was looking for the break. Trees often fall on the lines around here. Big trees are adjacent to the power lines for quite a ways around here because we are in a narrow valley.
I offered him the snowmobile. He couldn't drive through the pastures. The snow is 2' deep. He declined and started to walk. So, I fired the snowmobile up myself, found him in the pasture wallowing in the snow as he tried to look for the break, and gave him a ride up and down the line. After a mile or better, we found the break on the neighbor's place. He wouldn't let me go near it, which was fine with me, as he went to it.
A big fir tree had fallen across the line, which caused the break.
He radioed his fellow technician, who was in another truck further down the line. He decided to stay there while the other truck tried to go to him. I wasn't needed anymore. So, I went home. But, his big truck was parked on my bridge.My son needed to leave. Keys were in it. So, I moved it.
I got a bit of a kick out of driving his big several ton size truck loaded with gear down the road to get it out of the way.
I felt useful and helpful on this otherwise dreary day with the power out, to boot.
It was a wee bit of an adventure.
They managed to get the power back on about 1/2 hour after I returned home.

Offline GuzziPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 08:51:38 PM »
Crusty,

For real go talk with your Doc, and at least consider the idea that you are quite possibly working/struggling thru a case of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)......it's real, but often easily scoffed at by those less affected, and the disbelievers.  I've spent years managing folks in extreme climates/winters/protracted darkness (less than 5 hours light daily). Have had my extended bad days during this part of winter over those years as well.........in most cases, a simple, but very bright source of lighting helps to alleviate..... Go figure, but they're now marketed as sad lights

They remind of the lighted mirror my dear Mom used when putting herself together for the day.....

Also much agree with others, look up your next Moto trip, pull out all your saddle bag junk and itemize contents for a rally, or long trip.  Plan your bike maintenance so it is done before that first really nice day of Spring (mere weeks from now).  Don't ya just hate procrastinating it until the darned garage is actually comfortable?

Please, please don't ignore, and I applaud you for reaching to your/our extended family.......that's truly commendable and means you are self aware......so let's all get you back in the saddle.

I'll start with this?  Any plans for making the National in June, up to New Hampshire?  Great roads up there, and I'll vouch for the New England Guzzi clan as a damned fine group of motobikers.  But, like most of us, they're afflicted with strange talk about chrome lined cylinders, and usually spout paint codes for bikes older than themselves!!  They welcomed me in my first year, analyzed my Red Jackal, offered very free advice, poured some wine, and served me Pasta Fagioli .....gallons & gallons!!!  

Which roads would get you to Swanzey, NH???

LEE

On Edit:

Just realized how close you are to Swanzey!  And figure we have met at Heath late 2000's at the Yankee Beemer gathering.  Either way, I can assure you I've many miles of route 2 past you back then.  Wonderful, wonderful riding area everywhere north and west of you. Rest assured, this winter will pass and we'll all be scrubbing in our tires soon.  My next chore....dig out the garage so I can actually get to the Norge.

PM me for my number, let's talk/make plans!!!!!

Lee

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 08:46:47 PM by GuzziPilot »
2012 GT8V Norge {The Faster Color}
2002 EV1100 - Vintage Red
Y2K Jackal {sold} - Red

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2015, 09:06:36 AM »
We have the Arizona Not-A-Rally in May, but it's just up the road. August, the Datil Rally in New Mexico, a days ride. So a couple guys are considering a ride to Devils Tower. Lived near it for years and never saw it.

But also have some woodworking projects to finish in between rides.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline GuzziPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2015, 08:47:04 PM »
Bump
2012 GT8V Norge {The Faster Color}
2002 EV1100 - Vintage Red
Y2K Jackal {sold} - Red

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2015, 06:05:50 AM »
There's some nice riding around the devil's tower area..scenic sweepers, mostly.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2015, 08:53:15 AM »
Crusty: I used to live in RI, so I can sympathize. It got to the point where I'd have to fly somewhere warm in Feb or March or I'd really get into a funk. Lots of things and people I miss about New England, but winter is not one of them.

Rich A

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2015, 10:20:20 PM »
Crusty:  Consider yourself lucky!  Former MGNOC NorCal Area Rep and all around great guy Don Van Zandt lives on a 31' sailboat on San Francisco Bay.  Don says it's been raining hard for several days and he's not coming out of his (tiny) cabin until the sun shines (which may be a while). He's living on coffee, cigarettes and canned chili. 

No indication from Don of Seasonal Affective Disorder (formerly known as "stir crazy") which, as noted correctly, is a recognized, mild mental illness of the depressive disorders spectrum. 

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2015, 10:53:48 PM »
So Don's on a sailboat, I wonder if listening to the halyards clang all night have affected his hearing.

Then there's the seal lions if he's near pier 39.

Just think Crusty you could have been having fun like me today. My daughter bought a "fixer upper" that I got to cut a hole in the floor and crawl around under shoring the rest of the floor up.  I didn't get stuck but I did have to exhale and wiggle through some.  I hate crawling around under a house in the mud.  I never was a little guy and they never seem to build enough room underneath the framing.  Having a right shoulder that I busted bad 30 years ago jumping horses didn't help.

Last weekend I got to help her tile the entry.  On Sunday we didn't finish until midnight lucky the neighbors were so drunk that they didn't care.  I was running the saw till 11 pm

In a day the rain will stop and Sunday I'll ride over to see Don and have breakfast with a bunch of Guzzi Owners.  You don't see many Guzzi's but bikes is bikes and all is welcome and interesting.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline mowtow

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 03:42:53 AM »

What Ralph neglected to mention are the computer, color TV, and a selection of good books to read!
This is a lifestyle I choose some twenty eight years ago, and have no cause to regret, although this cabin does tend to get a bit 'snug' during the winter months.

Hang in there Crusty, vent all you want, we're here.  I'll tip a cuppa' to you this Sunday when the Guzzisti gather in Winters for our monthly get together.

Don
Don Van Zandt
MGNOC NorCal Rep.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here