Author Topic: anybody notice that 1997 cali 1K mile not ridden in 14 years on ebay?  (Read 8595 times)

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-Guzzi-California-/381213966460?forcerrptr=true&hash=item58c21f807c&item=381213966460
Anybody notice this 1997 with 1K miles. ? I wonder why they haven't fired it up as the say the motor turns, and the gears shifts. Why take a look at the cylinders and heads and fire it up. Then you might justify a reserve.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: anybody notice that 1997 cali 1K mile not ridden in 14 years on ebay?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 10:34:30 PM »
Seems silly to try and sell it not running.

You'd think a shop could throw a used or cheap battery in it, add gas, and sell it as running.

Unless they've already tried that, and it didn't fire up...    ;)
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 11:39:54 PM »
Not too many years ago a MGNOC Rally got flooded out and I wonder if this bike was there then.  ~;

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 07:09:44 AM »
'Tex' lost a '97 at that rally but it had a lot more than 1k miles on it. It has been sold a couple times since then.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 07:09:44 AM »

dilligaf

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 07:43:04 AM »
Interesting.  Blue Moon has been around quite a while.
http://www.bluemooncycle.com/
 ~;
Matt
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:44:32 AM by dilligaf »

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 07:47:50 AM »
Seems silly to try and sell it not running.

You'd think a shop could throw a used or cheap battery in it, add gas, and sell it as running.

Unless they've already tried that, and it didn't fire up...    ;)

It's more that silly, it stinks. They even claim they sold this bike to the guy 18 years ago new.  They are not listing it on the pre-owned inventory so they do not want to show their hand on the reserve. Not to mention they probably to not want to list a "non running" bike on the website. I would not trust it. Unless of course I could put a battery in it and take it out for spin.  ;D  I'd even bring my own battery. I wonder what their response would be to that idea?? I never understand the idea of posting a bike and making it sound like the real deal but it is non running. But even stranger is that Blue Moon has been around the block as a dealership. My guess is they do not want to take the chance of firing it up and see oil coming out of all the seals etc. Or worse.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:53:08 AM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 07:55:08 AM »
 If the same folks are still running Blue Moon that were a few years back , they will work with you Harvey . These "collection" sales can be tricky , the estate wants top dollar W/O being willing to invest any money .

Dusty

dilligaf

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 08:03:43 AM »
what Dusty said.  I think, depending on the reserve and if I were in the market for a "cruiser", I'd be all over that.   :BEER:
Matt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 08:08:58 AM »
what Dusty said.  I think, depending on the reserve and if I were in the market for a "cruiser", I'd be all over that.   :BEER:
Matt

The very fact that a non-runner like this is being sold with a "reserve" looks funky to me.   Do they want to sell it, or just have it sit on the floor so that they can advertise next year that it hasn't been run in 14 years?

I've NEVER trusted an ad that says "Just needs a battery to run" or "Just needs carbs cleaned to run".    Why would someone sell a non-runner for a little over scrap value, when they could add $2500 to the selling price by installing a $80 battery?    Answer - Umm ... there's no good answer.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 08:14:12 AM »
 Blue Moon doesn't own this bike , it belongs to the estate of the owner . How many times have we seen executors want to divest assets of an estate W/O being willing to invest a single penny to fix anything being sold . Just how this works fellas .

Dusty

dilligaf

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 08:49:36 AM »
According to John at Blue Moon the "gentleman" just want's it sold.  He does not want to put any money into it. John said; "If it were my bike I would fix it up and get 4 or 5 K for it.  As it is, it's not going to happen".  I agree with John but I wouldn't fix it up for free and I would want to be paid when the work was done.  Were I on my way to the "old folk home" I would be hesitate to put any money into it on the hope I could get more money. Wish I were in the market   :BEER:
Matt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 10:32:46 AM »
According to John at Blue Moon the "gentleman" just want's it sold. 
Matt

The fact that it has a "reserve" on it tends to make me believe that this isn't really true.   It probably won't get "sold".   If they wanted it "sold", they'd sell it, not fish around for a bunny with some artificially-set "wish" price.

Lannis

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 10:37:56 AM »
I don't know, but all I can think about is how nicely that engine would sit in my G5.  :food
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 10:41:53 AM »
Why is it I agree with everything being said about this bike. The guy wants it sold, it's not on the previously owned list but they could list it as a consignment bike, lots of good history but sitting 14 years straight and did the man ever bother to turn it over or at least send some lube down the spark plug holes? So everybody seems to  be right in their views, but will anybody pay 4 or $5K for this bike without starting it first? And I bet you the answer is NO NO NO.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 10:42:37 AM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

dilligaf

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 10:49:45 AM »
So everybody seems to  be right in their views, but will anybody pay 4 or $5K for this bike without starting it first? And I bet you the answer is NO NO NO.

And that is what John at Blue Moon said.  "Isn't going to happen".  :BEER:
Matt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 10:57:32 AM »
Matt

On the other hand, there's no law that says that if a customer comes to them with a losing proposition, that they have to take it.   

"Hello, I have this bike that isn't running, and I want you to sell it, and I want to get $4,000 for it, you can keep the rest".    Blue Moon could just say "No", rather than saying "We've got this bike which won't sell but we're going to try to sell it anyway ...".   At least I wouldn't.

Lannis

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 11:14:03 AM »
Matt

So what is not going to happen?
 1. Blue Moon/owner is not willing to start the bike under any circumstance?
Or 2. nobody will pay $4-5K for this bike unless they can start it first?
Red 90 Mille GT

dilligaf

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 11:24:13 AM »
The guy at Blue Moon said that unless the motorcycle is gone through, brakes, gas tank,  new battery etc it isn't going to sell for $4 or $5k.  HE DID NOT say what they reserve was or how much they were asking for the motorcycle. And, as I have no interest in purchasing the motorcycle, didn't ask.

It's a consignment motorcycle.  The shop has a motorcycle sitting on the floor that doesn't eat.  They have no money in it.  The shop, especially this time of year, needs to be focusing on selling the motorcycles they have in stock that do eat.  Or that is my take anyway.   :BEER:
Matt
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 11:26:18 AM by dilligaf »

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 12:50:17 PM »
I rather buy a cali with 50 k miles , than this one. ( of course just me )

Maybe the "pickers" found it in a barn LOL

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:55:53 PM by arveno »

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 12:57:42 PM »
The guy at Blue Moon said that unless the motorcycle is gone through, brakes, gas tank,  new battery etc it isn't going to sell for $4 or $5k.  HE DID NOT say what they reserve was or how much they were asking for the motorcycle. And, as I have no interest in purchasing the motorcycle, didn't ask.

It's a consignment motorcycle.  The shop has a motorcycle sitting on the floor that doesn't eat.  They have no money in it.  The shop, especially this time of year, needs to be focusing on selling the motorcycles they have in stock that do eat.  Or that is my take anyway.   :BEER:
Matt

Yeah , who came up with the $4K reserve , don't see any mention of it in the ad . It did say the old gentleman has bought several MCs from them over the years , maybe they are just returning a favor . It is bid up to 1500 bucks , maybe 1800 will buy it .

Dusty

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 01:09:28 PM »
Seems like an interesting pricing/negotiation exercise.

What would I pay for it as it sits considering at least:
New tires
Brake rebuild
Oil
Several-couple seals
Fuels system run through
Labor involved prepping the unlubed internal bits

Right now its simply not a motorcycle to me but rather a complete static display piece. Turning it into a registered, running motor bike will likely take some commitment and cash which must be front loaded into the prospective bidding.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 01:30:53 PM »
Seems like an interesting pricing/negotiation exercise.

What would I pay for it as it sits considering at least:
New tires
Brake rebuild
Oil
Several-couple seals
Fuels system run through
Labor involved prepping the unlubed internal bits

Right now its simply not a motorcycle to me but rather a complete static display piece. Turning it into a registered, running motor bike will likely take some commitment and cash which must be front loaded into the prospective bidding.

Todd.

Assuming the internals and by that I  mean all metal moving parts are good you are still looking at worst case all new engine and rear end seals,  tank cleaning ,  injectors, fork seals, and calipers seals and master cylinders seals, brake lines and tires.  Who is going to trust any of the brake parts?  Let say it the engine runs and shift and like new and the u joint and rear drive are good it still may be all new rubber everywhere.  I am not sure I would even consider a flush and clean brake fluid good enough to take it out and bring it to a howling stop.
Red 90 Mille GT

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 01:37:54 PM »
Good gawd those windshields were/are butt-ugly.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 01:59:16 PM »
It's actually a good deal if someone can get it for low 3K.
I believe this is the first of fuel injected bikes, my brother KiwiKev in Auckland has one very similar, reckons it's the best Guzzi ever made ;-T
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

oldbike54

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 02:00:41 PM »
 That's a neat trick Roy .

Dusty

dilligaf

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2015, 02:15:03 PM »
Me, if I were the one to purchase it, I'd do like I always have. Take it home put some fresh gas in it and start it up. Unless I was riding it home, then I's start it up and ride it home. Well, no not sure I would trust the tires.  Depended on what they look like.  But, that's just me.  One of these days I'm going to change the brake lines on my 1982 BMW and 1983 SP-one of these days.  Oh, the seals-dame it- I need to change the seals. I'm going to get right on that - first thing Monday morning, noon at the latest.   :BEER:
Matt

dilligaf

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2015, 02:40:34 PM »
 :+1 OK, you got me.  ;-T Time to head for the bar and eat some chicken wings.  Sure going to look desperate sitting at the bar drinking  :BEER: wearing this neck brace but screw it-I need away from this key board and out of this house.  I need a shower also.  Haven't had one since I left the hospital.  Do I stink.   :BEER:
Matt
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:41:33 PM by dilligaf »

dilligaf

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2015, 03:19:40 PM »
And I finished my shower, couldn't wash between my toes but good to go.  Just won't be taking the Ducati.  :BEER:
Matt

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here