Author Topic: V7 cannister removel  (Read 8573 times)

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
V7 cannister removel
« on: April 05, 2015, 06:04:39 PM »
I've removed the charcoal canister from my 13 v7.
I'm looking for the "valve" to also remove. is it the blue and orange disc located in the line under the left side cover?

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 cannister removel
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 06:08:54 PM »
Guzzi Steve, who is a Guzzi mechanic posted this in another thread.  So, it appears that you have found it.

Make sure it has the upgraded tank vent on it. NOT grey, it is blue & orange and right behind the left throttle body. This took care of the tank problems.
NO longer can ride

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 06:33:16 PM »
that was easy, thanks

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 07:45:13 PM »
If you remove the valve, water vapor will be able to freely diffuse from the atmosphere into the fuel tank.  That's fine if that's what you want.  The purpose of the valve is to prevent this from happening, while still allowing the pressure in the tank to equalize with the outside air pressure.  There's a reason why Moto Guzzi puts these parts on their bikes.  Second guess their engineers at your own peril.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 07:45:13 PM »

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 07:46:07 PM »
How did you plug the line from the cannister to the throttle body?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 07:06:34 PM »
the line, that the blue and orange valve was in, went from the fuel tank to the canister behind the sump.  i assume the other line from the canister goes to the intake to recycle the vapors that came from the tank.  so if I let the large tube, the one with the valve, just dump  below the bike any vapors in the tank will vent out the tube and air will enter the tank via tube as fuel is used.  the smaller tube is plugged to prevent air from going into the intake. is this correct?

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 07:44:32 PM »
 :+=copcar
the line, that the blue and orange valve was in, went from the fuel tank to the canister behind the sump.  i assume the other line from the canister goes to the intake to recycle the vapors that came from the tank.  so if I let the large tube, the one with the valve, just dump  below the bike any vapors in the tank will vent out the tube and air will enter the tank via tube as fuel is used.  the smaller tube is plugged to prevent air from going into the intake. is this correct?

Yes, I was wondering how you plugged the line to the intake?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
But, why?  Do you have a compulsion to contribute to air pollution?

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 08:09:13 AM »
I just put a plastic plug in the smaller line.  I may cap  it at the "source" but I don't know where it ends. I'll look for a schematic

I've inspected the blue/orange valve and can't determine how it could keep water vapor out of the tank.  it has no desiccant in it or a chiller to condense the moisture.

I won't respond to the air pollution remark
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:12:45 AM by drlapo »

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 08:37:13 AM »
I just put a plastic plug in the smaller line.  I may cap  it at the "source" but I don't know where it ends. I'll look for a schematic

I've inspected the blue/orange valve and can't determine how it could keep water vapor out of the tank.  it has no desiccant in it or a chiller to condense the moisture.

The "source" should be the bottom of the intake to the throttle body. 
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 09:20:27 AM »
I checked out the schematic at Harpers, removed the "return" hose and capped the port on the intake manifold with a vacuum port cap; all done
I'm sure the bike will run much better and cooler now that the air can freely circulate behind the sump (now just wait for the comments on that theory)

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 10:24:17 AM »
I'm not convinced about the "run cooler" theory but taking the can off will certainly make it easier to remove the rear oil drain bolt.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 12:14:35 PM »

I've inspected the blue/orange valve and can't determine how it could keep water vapor out of the tank.  it has no desiccant in it or a chiller to condense the moisture.

The valve prevents free diffusion of air, which contains water vapor in humid weather, into the tank, and prevents free diffusion of fuel vapor out of the tank, too.  It still allows air to enter and leave the tank to equalize the pressure.  The opening of the valve under a pressure differential is what is sometimes heard as a groan or whine.  Another function of the valve is to prevent fuel from running out of the tank and onto the hot engine and exhaust pipes if the bike goes down (I'm sure you don't have to worry about that because you've never dropped a bike).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:23:16 PM by sib »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 02:29:40 PM »
[snip]

We understand -- it's nothing to be proud of, and there is no good response.   ;)

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 06:22:30 PM »
The valve prevents free diffusion of air, which contains water vapor in humid weather, into the tank, and prevents free diffusion of fuel vapor out of the tank, too.  It still allows air to enter and leave the tank to equalize the pressure.  The opening of the valve under a pressure differential is what is sometimes heard as a groan or whine.  Another function of the valve is to prevent fuel from running out of the tank and onto the hot engine and exhaust pipes if the bike goes down (I'm sure you don't have to worry about that because you've never dropped a bike).

is that last comment really needed?

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 08:20:24 PM »
is that last comment really needed?
Sorry, my snarkiness got the best of me.  But, more seriously, this is a safety feature.

Offline LaGrasta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 11:17:44 AM »
In this ever increasingly over regulated, government stranglehold country, no one reasonable is going to give a crap about Moto SMOG restrictions. Considering all motorcycles combined make up less than a few percent of transportation miles in the US, it doesn't add up to enough to make a stink about. Uncap 'em and let 'em breath. Ahhh, now doesn't that feel good?
You can buy style, but you have to build character.

'10 Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic
'03 Moto Guzzi VII Sport
'14 Kawasaki KLX250S
'89 Honda GB500tt
'82 Honda GL500 bobber
…and two step-through scooters too.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 12:55:06 PM »
In this ever increasingly over regulated, government stranglehold country....

I'd have hard time naming a country with less regulation than the US.  Care to try?

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 01:35:42 PM »
I'd have hard time naming a country with less regulation than the US.  Care to try?

Afghanistan, Nigeria, Syria, Honduras
All great places with very little government oversight or regulation. Some might say 4 Libertarian paradises right there.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 02:00:47 PM »
"let 'em breathe" ; maybe I'll name my V7 "commando"

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 04:09:23 PM »
Much like the auto door lock on my Nissan Rogue when I get to 15mph.  really, do I need that engineered into my life!

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: V7 cannister removel
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 04:23:24 PM »
Much like the auto door lock on my Nissan Rogue when I get to 15mph.  really, do I need that engineered into my life!
There's probably an Easter egg to disable that if you don't want it.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline LaGrasta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 05:41:52 PM »
Less regulation, how about no regulation. Both India and China, have zero environmental regs. Recently China said they'd consider starting some regs in the year 2030. Seriously, I'm not making that up.
You can buy style, but you have to build character.

'10 Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic
'03 Moto Guzzi VII Sport
'14 Kawasaki KLX250S
'89 Honda GB500tt
'82 Honda GL500 bobber
…and two step-through scooters too.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here