Author Topic: Tonti Hydraulic Clutch  (Read 8362 times)

Offline brightonguzzi

• Gosling
Tonti Hydraulic Clutch
« on: April 20, 2015, 11:03:02 AM »
Guys - can you help with suggestions to improve or replace my aftermarket hydraulic clutch please.

I currently have an AP racing master cylinder going to a home made (not by me) hydraulic clutch.

The pull on the lever is really really firm, wrist achingly firm after a while.

I'm sure I have read of aftermarket clutches or maybe clutches from other bikes that I can use with the AP racing master cylinder.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

This is a link to the master cylinder I currently have, I'd rather not change it as it matches the brake lever!

https://www.apracing.com/product_details/motorcycle/classic_range/classic_master_cylinders/front-cp2215-90.aspx

Thanks in advance
Le Mans V Special
Moto Guzzi Club GB member 2005

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
Re: Tonti Hydraulic Clutch
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 11:44:29 AM »
you need to match the diameters of the pistons in the slave and master cylinder (match as in make them right, not equal). if your clutch effort is too much you can soften it up by going to a master cylinder that has a smaller diameter piston. that will make the lever have to travel further to disengage the clutch. Go too small, and the clutch will not disengage. You could go larger on the slave cylinder, same effect. Is the slave cylinder on the end of the clutch pushrod or is an intermediate lever involved. If an intermediate lever is involved, you may be able to leave the pistons alone, and change the length of the lever all depending...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 12:18:49 PM »
Magura has a line of hydraulic clutch master cylinders with a wide range of piston diameters, and the price is reasonable.  There are also some far eastern ones on the market now that are dirt cheap and work well.  I just bought a new brake master cylinder off eBay for $24 delivered, and it seals perfectly and operates smoothly.  A bargain one might give you a chance to try that size to see if you like it.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline flangeman_70

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 01:32:40 PM »
Hi,

I have a full Magura setup bought from Venhill in the UK on my SPIII.
If you want details, PM me.
It is excellent now but was a real pain to bleed when I installed it. I took it off the bike and hung it up overnight, that got rid of the air bubbles  ;-T

Adam
You only went to school to learn how to learn

Adam

SP III 1990
V10 Centauro 1996

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 01:32:40 PM »

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 03:47:11 PM »
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 03:51:56 PM »
That's a pretty good deal for a couple of custom machined parts like that.  Now I'm temped to convert.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 06:17:57 PM »
I tried it on my 98 Ev and the 2001. never satisfied hard to bleed and worked great until the engine heat built up then the free play changes. I finally sold it to somebody that knew the deal but wanted it anyway.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 06:44:14 PM »
I tried it on my 98 Ev and the 2001. never satisfied hard to bleed and worked great until the engine heat built up then the free play changes. I finally sold it to somebody that knew the deal but wanted it anyway.

Something was wrong if the play changed.  One of the advantages of a hydraulic actuator is automatic adjustment of play.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 06:48:07 PM »
If the clutch fluid lines were run too close to something hot and DOT3 was used, could the fluid have overheated?

Offline amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 06:49:48 PM »
http://www.radicalguzzi.com/onlineshop-zubehör-und-verschleißteile/hydraulische-kupplungsbetätigung/
Kinda like this slave cylinder setup

Offline amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 06:51:23 PM »
For some reason you have to copy and paste the link

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 06:54:35 PM »
If the clutch fluid lines were run too close to something hot and DOT3 was used, could the fluid have overheated?

That was one of the things I had in mind when I said something must have been wrong.  The Magura MCs require either their mineral oil that they call "Blood", or DOT5 silicone fluid.  I've been running one with DOT5 for years.

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 06:56:34 PM »
long time ago but I'm sure I used dot 4 also it runs along side and over the engine and trans. and its a small amount of fluid held down at the tranny.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 07:06:27 PM »
When I build freom a bare frame (like the trike project) I put a LOT of thought into routing my brake lines (clutch considerations would be no different).  I choose a route that avoids 'rollercoasting' between point A and point Z.  In other words, if a handlebar pump, I make sure the line trends only downward to the slave cyl.  I place them as far from heat sources as possible, and I use as few sections of joined line as possible.  I also have a bleeder on the highest point of the line, usually at the m/c.

Just some thoughts to compare your installation to.

I agree that freeplay changing with heat is not a normal situation.  Could you imagine if brakes did that by design?   :o

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 07:07:33 PM »
could be the metal shaft expands. Most bikes get an increase in free play as the motor heats up. even my cable clutch guzzi
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 07:12:34 PM »
Wouldn't an expanding shaft decrease freeplay?

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 07:31:12 PM »
Yes, and as I said, a hydraulic system should self-adjust each time the lever is released anyway.

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 07:59:31 PM »
This is spendy but oh so easy to add:
l
http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=2554

Ran one of these on my wife's 93 Cal III for about seven years. Worked great and made clutch work for her a breeze. No issues at all. It is however a bit of a pain to bleed but once done you don't need to mess with it very often. I pulled it off when she got a new ride and I took over the Cal III as my full time road machine. I had no issue with the stock cable set up. Sold the unit to a guy in Australia on e-bay and as far as I know its still in use.
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 08:50:34 PM »
Yes, and as I said, a hydraulic system should self-adjust each time the lever is released anyway.

Within limits. At some point, insufficient piston travel exists to do the job
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 08:52:57 PM »
Wouldn't an expanding shaft decrease freeplay?

Not on that system. The slave cylinder is pulling the rod and barrel. As rod grows, barrel will come off trans lever depending on how you set it up.
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 09:38:52 PM »
Within limits. At some point, insufficient piston travel exists to do the job

If the piston travel in the disengage (pressure) direction were too short, the piston would hit the end of the cylinder and the lever would bind before being able to release the clutch.  Alternatively, if the cylinder were open-ended, the seal would come out the end and leak fluid badly.  If the travel were too short in the retract direction, the piston would hit the other end of the cylinder before releasing pressure on the clutch and the clutch would probably slip.  Also, the master cylinder lever would continue to its "home" position and draw fluid in as usual, so next time it was squeezed, it would move the piston without excessive play.  This means I don't think insufficient piston travel was the cause of excessive play.  Rodekyll's theory of boiling fluid is still a possibility, but only if the hose had been routed in a way that got it hot enough.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:08:34 PM by Triple Jim »

Offline brightonguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 04:55:51 PM »
Interesting replies and a few things to look at .

Appreciate everyones input so far.

Cheers
Le Mans V Special
Moto Guzzi Club GB member 2005

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 05:44:04 PM »
If the piston travel in the disengage (pressure) direction were too short, the piston would hit the end of the cylinder and the lever would bind before being able to release the clutch.  Alternatively, if the cylinder were open-ended, the seal would come out the end and leak fluid badly.  If the travel were too short in the retract direction, the piston would hit the other end of the cylinder before releasing pressure on the clutch and the clutch would probably slip.  Also, the master cylinder lever would continue to its "home" position and draw fluid in as usual, so next time it was squeezed, it would move the piston without excessive play.  This means I don't think insufficient piston travel was the cause of excessive play.  Rodekyll's theory of boiling fluid is still a possibility, but only if the hose had been routed in a way that got it hot enough.

So if we add some air and other contaminants to the fluid, does the boiling theory become more plausible?  I know brakes fade worser when they have air in the lines.

Also -- (and I don't know the layout, so I'm just tossing it out) if the slave cyl is attached to something other than the gearbox, could a loose mount be changing the distance?

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 04:48:11 AM »
My Husky clutch (magura) used mineral oil, not brake fluid.  Advantage was doesn't boil, less problems with contamination, didn't need bleeding for years.  If you have a brake bleeder, pushing the fluid from the slave cylinder up to the master cylinder works much better.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here