Author Topic: Future of the Virginia State Moto Guzzi rally  (Read 8811 times)

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
Future of the Virginia State Moto Guzzi rally
« on: June 30, 2015, 10:03:55 AM »
To quell/correct rumors about our rally.
Kurt & Sue have told me that they cannot do the rallymaster job next year. My profound thanks to the Nordstroms for taking on the job and successfully recreating the event.
  Alice & I have talked about doing it ourselves again if no one stepped up.........But Thursday afternoon setting up for the rally, she watched me limp up & down the hill, sweating a river & stopping frequently to catch my breath and said "You are to old & broke down for this s***" My macho-man side said "watch yer mouth woman", but my realist side said "she's right, the brain is writing checks the 'ole bod can't cover". So, Alice & I will not take it on again. We are looking for new Rally Master(s). To keep options open I have the big pavilion at Glen Maury Park reserved for the second weekend in  October, 2016 (NO more going down into the great valley of Virginia in the HEAT!, and I have asked Will to hold June  24,25, 26 2016 open for us at Willville. Any Va Guzzi enthusiast interested in stepping up, please contact me. I'll answer the first question anyone will have. There is seed money, with any kind of decent management, the rally is self supporting money wise. Total costs to the Rally masters are in time, energy, & enthusiasm (plenty of that needed).
Ron Komoroski   
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Future of the Virginia State Moto Guzzi rally
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 11:47:42 AM »
I've been to 2 Va. rallys, and was really impressed.

I would like to make another at some point.

It is a thankless job putting one together and keeping it afloat, but thank you very much.

Now it's time for you to just show up and enjoy the work of others, you earned it.

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 12:55:04 PM »
I can appreciate what it takes to put on a rally.  Most just ride in and show up, after paying a small sum.  They don't understand all the work it takes, and will gripe about the smallest things - Rally site, food, etc. 

Thanks for doing it all those years, I hope someone steps up!

October sounds great...
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 02:37:19 PM »
I'm in Virginia, I'm a Guzzi rider, I've probably got the time ....

... but I haven't got the "calling" to be a rallymaster.   There are a lot of details to handle and I'm not good at details.   And the "6 of 1000" phenomenon frustrates me when it comes to real-world situations ("out of 1000 people of any kind of group, about 6 will be whining SOBs who aren't satisfied with anything"); it shouldn't, but it does and I spend too much time dealing with just them.   Ron/Alice and Kurt/Sue and Roger/Marilyn were always good at details and handling people and organizing and I applaud and respect them for it.

I'll be a helper, though.   If someone else will handle the organization, I'll take some chunk of the work and handle it for them (meals or bathrooms or advertising or something).

Hurrah for the people who have and who (we hope) will organize these events for us in future!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 02:37:19 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 04:14:01 PM »
Is this a mgnoc event?

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 06:05:55 PM »
I'm in Virginia, I'm a Guzzi rider, I've probably got the time ....

... but I haven't got the "calling" to be a rallymaster.   There are a lot of details to handle and I'm not good at details.   And the "6 of 1000" phenomenon frustrates me when it comes to real-world situations ("out of 1000 people of any kind of group, about 6 will be whining SOBs who aren't satisfied with anything"); it shouldn't, but it does and I spend too much time dealing with just them.   Ron/Alice and Kurt/Sue and Roger/Marilyn were always good at details and handling people and organizing and I applaud and respect them for it.

I'll be a helper, though.   If someone else will handle the organization, I'll take some chunk of the work and handle it for them (meals or bathrooms or advertising or something).

Hurrah for the people who have and who (we hope) will organize these events for us in future!

Lannis

I suggest Faye handle selling the 50/50's.  Or the Brooklyn bridge, or...
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 06:11:01 PM »
Is this a mgnoc event?

Yes.  it's the MGNOC Virginia State Rally.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 01:50:45 AM »
I was just asking because non mgnoc members apparently don't qualify.  Something to consider if you're thinking about the job.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 08:07:58 AM »
I was just asking because non mgnoc members apparently don't qualify.

Ron is MGNOC and can assign non-MGNOC to handle the event.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 08:49:11 AM »
Having done a Ducati event for a few years along with helping my brother do a major Norton event last year I can attest to the range of details to work out.  Two things can make all this very simple: (1)delegate so each worker has a limited and maneagable task; (2)start planning early, to include a site visit so you can get local knowledge of what local help is available (caterer?, possible repair shop?, emergency medical care?,local attractions?).

In my previous life I was in charge of two major NATO training exercises.  From that experience I can guarantee that someone will bitch...usually about something totally trivial (not enough coffee in the morning, the wrong kind of pastries, not enough fruit, etc).  Basically, if you have coffee, decent food and clean bathrooms you are going to satisfy 98% of the people.  The bathroom issue is probably the critical path.  The last thing you want is to have such unsanitary conditions that people get sick.  You'll never recover from that.

With all that said, I cannot pick up this task.  The rally falls in the timeframe when we have 2-4 grandchildren each summer.  You'll understand that our priorities put the kids at the top of any list so all my rally-going is spring and fall (when it's not so darn hot!).

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
MGNOC rally??? Yes it has always been advertized in the MGNOC News, but does it have to be? Perhaps not. Year after year it has always seemed a hassle to get everything "out there" in a timely manner through the MGNOC. For example, this year the rally was listed in the newsletter but not on the website. Why? don't know.  Anyone willing to step up should not let non MGNOC membership be a deterrent.
Ron   
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Offline Ambogal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 08:17:20 PM »
I'm still searching for someone to come and cook at Will's instead of catering.  There are a few rallies held at
Will's place which do their own cooking.  I'm trying to connect with those "cooks" to see if they're interested. 

There are a few community organizations that would do the cooking but rally goers would have to ride
over to the VFW Hall or the community center.  I don't think that would make people happy. 

Offline maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 08:32:56 PM »
With all that said, I cannot pick up this task.  The rally falls in the timeframe when we have 2-4 grandchildren each summer.  You'll understand that our priorities put the kids at the top of any list so all my rally-going is spring and fall (when it's not so darn hot!).
Peter Y.

Peter,

If you re-read Ron's post you'll see that he reserved Buena Vista in the fall. How lucky can you be? The challenge for a former Army guy is there waiting for your expertise!  :>) If I lived in VA, I would offer my services to assist you. Lannis is available though, . . . . . . . now, about those bathrooms??

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:33:55 PM by maquette »
Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 08:45:01 PM »
Hey Tom, thanks for the close scrutiny of the dates.  I saw that too.  Truth be told, I was never impressed with the bathrooms at Glen Maury Park.  For the National I camped near the pavilion and the bathrooms there were OK for a small demand but not great.  The larger bath area was about 1000 yards downstream and I never got there.  This was the weekend of the GREAT STORM.  Since there is virtually no shade anywhere near the pavilion I'm not a fan of that location...unless you are catering to 1000 folks and have the logistics to support that demand.  A Gussi rally...not so much.

A rally in the fall makes a lot of sense to me.  It's always a crap shoot for weather but I think we tend to put too much emphasis on when school is in session.  Look at the people who attend...who has children in school?  We are more likely to talk about grandchildren and SSI benefits!  I'm all in favor of something in the fall, still not going to be in charge.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 11:30:10 AM »
Peter,

If you re-read Ron's post you'll see that he reserved Buena Vista in the fall. How lucky can you be? The challenge for a former Army guy is there waiting for your expertise!  :>) If I lived in VA, I would offer my services to assist you. Lannis is available though, . . . . . . . now, about those bathrooms??

I'm no expert (except at using one, the older I get the more experience and expertise I have!), but "Keeping them Clean" is the key to bathroom facilities.

Will at Willville has got it down pat.   He had a guy (don't think he was associated with the rally, just a helper) cycling through the shower rooms, toilets, and porta-johns several times a day, morning, afternoon, and evening, almost every time someone used one.   Every time I went to use one of the loos, it was sparkling clean.   THAT's what makes the difference.   If you're going to have 150 people using 3 toilet stalls, 2 urinals, and 2 showers, you've GOT to constantly stay after them with Pine-Sol and Clorox and mops and Handi-wipes, or they turn nasty real quick.

I know it's probably another $7 on the rally fee to do it, but I'm positive that any town we have a rally in, there's some lady nearby with a small cleaning service that for some fee per day, will do just that.   Nominally, the bogs in Buena Vista belong to the city and supposedly, the park fee that the rally pays is supposed to include keeping them clean, but that doesn't happen, for better or worse ..... you'd have to supplement it.

I mention it because it seems to be an issue with a lot of people .... Just one of those "rally details" that drive an organizer nuts ....

Lannis

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 11:46:07 AM »
As above in terms of the bathrooms add a buck or two for the rally fee and rent a couple of port-o-lets as per the rally in NH. Some people complained about those but I thought they were a good solution.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 12:13:52 PM »
What exactly is wrong with Willville, and the fourth week of June, to prompt a suggestion for a change of venue?

Bill Hagan

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 12:27:38 PM »
As above in terms of the bathrooms add a buck or two for the rally fee and rent a couple of port-o-lets as per the rally in NH. Some people complained about those but I thought they were a good solution.

Perhaps a bit ... uhm ... over the top  :wink: for a Guzzi rally, but check out this Charlottesville vendor:

http://www.stonegateeventrentals.com/restroom-trailer/

In Inman Park, we used similar portable facilities for our festival (with 75K attendees on a weekend!), e.g.,

They worked great.  Yes, we were able to offset costs with vendor and other revenue and also provided LOTS of traditional portable johns.

And, there's always this option: 

Some of the folks that hang out all day at the rally site could pocket some extra money, too.   :laugh:

Hmmmmm, Peter, the new ones are likely a bit pricey ...

... but maybe we could score an old Army field shower set-up at a surplus sale.  :laugh:

Of course, as an ex-tanker yourself, remember this sort of thing?

With the physiques of many of us, not suggesting that as an option.   :shocked:

Bill

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 12:31:01 PM »
Nick,
Nothing really wrong with Willville in late June, I made the two reservations to have the option available. We need a new rallymaster & he/she might prefer Glen Maury. However, since we have started talking about a possible 2nd weekend in October rally we have heard from riders living "up nawth" who say they have had SNOW in early October. It's "leaf-peeper" season so they've at least had frosty nights. One more consideration to throw into the mix.
Ron
THE MOTRESYKLMAN

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 01:04:43 PM »

Of course, as an ex-tanker yourself, remember this sort of thing?

With the physiques of many of us, not suggesting that as an option.   :shocked:

Bill

That was a while back, I suppose; you've changed a bit since then .... ?   This may be a Wild Guzzi first!  I really hope it doesn't start a trend ....  :wink:

Lannis

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 04:51:24 PM »
What exactly is wrong with Willville, and the fourth week of June, to prompt a suggestion for a change of venue?

Keep it at Willville. Bring your own food and cook it on Will's grill he has there if you don't want to ride out for food.

Dean
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 04:53:08 PM by Dean Rose »
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 06:26:17 PM »
I would be amenible to doing food, I am not a VA resident or a long-time rally attendee to the point I would want to organize the whole shebang.  But since the NC rally is almost NAR at this point and Willville is a nice ride up the parkway for me.. I plan to attend for many years to come.

If it's Willville and in June, whoever wants to run it.. get in touch if you want say, BBQ & Chicken one night and hotdogs & burgers or fried chicken the other night,. I have the equipment and know-how to pull it off for 'cost' without a caterer... tho I do this stuff all the time so I have the setup to fully comply with sanitation requirements etc.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »
I like Glen Maury better. Just personal preference, Willville? I'll pass.
Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 06:51:00 PM »
If it's Willville and in June, whoever wants to run it.. get in touch if you want say, BBQ & Chicken one night and hotdogs & burgers or fried chicken the other night,. I have the equipment and know-how to pull it off for 'cost' without a caterer... tho I do this stuff all the time so I have the setup to fully comply with sanitation requirements etc.

You'd need to come up with a vegetarian alternative as well.
Charlie

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 08:02:02 PM »

We've had requests for vegetarian meals, vegan, lactose-free, gluten-free, tree-nut free, peanut-free ... about the only thing we haven't had is for kosher and halal and that's next.

The only meal that will suit everyone is a food-free one, I'm afraid, so you go with what you have and folks with dietary requirements "tote their own ...."

Lannis

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 08:30:18 PM »
 :thumb:

The menu doesn't matter, just simple, executable at reasonable cost, and not the ubiquitous spaghetti or lasagne & garlic bread
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline sknapp351

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 05:26:40 PM »

Are you back in NC? Last we spoke you'd moved to Montana!

Unfortunately, I had to miss this year's event. The college I teach for decided to send me to Pennsylvania to learn to build electric guitars. I will be teaching classes and workshops this fall. I am willing to help, where possible. Ron had contacted me about possibly cooking this year. I don't have the equipment, but am willing to be a set of hands.

Sam

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2015, 09:06:47 AM »
Mayor-of-BBQ, WOW! hell of am offer, will definitely call on you if the new rallymasters  keep it at Willville etc.
In fact Alice & I have talked about "grill your own" for Friday night. Rally provides buns, condiments, Brats, kielbassa, hot dogs & veggi dogs. Riders "grill their own" over the wood fire , or the charcoal grill. Perhaps sides of potato salad & baked beans. Just another thought.
As to all the suggestions about portable showers/bathrooms for use in Glen Maury Park, I researched those options for Roger for the 2012 National. There was exactly one source in the whole state of Virginia, and the cost was prohibitive. As it turned out, it's a good thing we didn't bite that bullet, we'd have REALLY gone in the hole on the rally!
One of Alice's big worries about Willville was "what do we do when it rains??" Well we had about as nasty os gully washer as you can imagine on a rally Saturday night this year, and we got through it just fine. We're motorcyclists, it's going to rain on us, we cope (bitch at "raingear" but we cope) LOL
Ron
THE MOTRESYKLMAN

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2015, 09:30:03 AM »
I like Glen Maury better. Just personal preference, Willville? I'll pass.

Glen Maury has always been HOT. Willville is nice up in the mountains.
Glen Maury did redo the showers at the entrance. That helps.
Willville was pretty packed, and it was a wet weekend. Smaller pavilion at Willville.

If I'm able, I will go to either one.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here