Author Topic: New Addition - Civilian Eldo  (Read 8890 times)

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
New Addition - Civilian Eldo
« on: October 12, 2015, 12:28:14 AM »
Well, although I still have a number of projects going (Stelvio clutch, 750S tribute), I came across another project that I just couldn't pass up.  It's a 1974 civilian disc Eldo that has been with a single family since new, but hasn't run in about 30 years.

I picked it up in Maine today, and will be getting it back home once US Customs opens on Tuesday.

For some reason that the owner doesn't remember, he took the bike apart and painted it a monochrome off-white back in the early eighties, and that paint really hasn't fared well. Recently, he took it apart again to restore it, but he realized the extent of the project, and decided to sell.  The bike is all there, and I'm excited about getting started on a civilian model now.  Given what I have going already, though, it will probably be several months (at least) before I get started on it.

A few interesting notes:

-   It came with Amal carbs, which I know we're used for a short period.  I don't know how well these work, so would appreciate any feedback on them.
-   it also included a nice set of dome-topped DB Bags, which are HUGE.
-   I even have the original owner's manual and keys, complete with a Maine key fob promoting the new 55 MPH speed limit!

I'm really looking forward to this, and will keep tabs on any progress in this post.

Cheers,
Shaun
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 12:35:32 AM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

elvisboy77

Re: New Addition - Civilian Eldo
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 05:52:11 AM »
So cool!  Please do a photo documentary of your project.

I had a 72 Eldo with DBs, you are right, they are big!

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 06:20:07 AM »
Nice catch Shaun.  I'm looking forward to watching progress on this one. It looks as though you have a few hours in the workshop ahead of you.

Good luck

Nick

Offline jkguzzi

• Gosling
    • JKnorth
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 06:49:02 AM »
I had a new '73 eldo with Amals. They worked fine, had a tickler plunger above the bowl that I think flooded the bowl for easier cold starting. I put a Windjammer and BD bags on it. Great bike, wish I never sold it.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 06:49:02 AM »

Offline harrytief

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 08:03:16 AM »
Congrats Shaun
I too will follow your progress...might get me off my a%s and start my eldo project.
Harry

Online steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 08:09:07 AM »
 I have a  74 4ls drum brake Eldo with Amals, just have them sleeved , get the newer floats ,tickler extensions and they should be fine.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 08:59:02 AM »
Biggest issues with the Amals on an Eldo are availability of the cables (may need to make your own) and the rubber boot between the carbs and airbox (non-existent, so you'll need to use pod filters).

"Civilian" (pegs and low bars) Eldos are one of the more rare variations of Loops. Good find. 
Charlie

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 09:14:09 AM »
Just speaking to the Amals, I use them on all my Britbikes and they are solid reliable carburetors IF a couple upgrades are done.

1) Send off and get the carb bores and the slides "sleeved"; they'll wear as long as any other carb that way.

2) Replace the needle, needle jet, and float valves.   Replace the old plastic float with a new non-sinkable float.

3) DON'T tighten the carb onto the manifold with a heavy hand, or you'll warp the carb body.   Install them with nylok nuts, and just tight enough so that you can still move the carb by hand when you're finished.

They're so simple and reliable that way ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

canuck750

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 09:31:17 AM »
Nice catch Shaun!

Disc brake and Amal carbs + the DB bags, it's going to be a beauty.

Nice to know there are other guys out there with Guzzi projects stacking up and a patient spouse. :grin:

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 09:34:30 AM »
Thanks, all.  Will definitely document my progress.

Charlie, thanks for the info on cables and the boot.  I actually still have the original and could send it off to CSM/Klaus Designs.  Probably not enough of a market, though.

Cheers to all who provided info on the Amals.  Sounds like they could work just fine, bit I will need to decide if it is more important to have the bike stock, or with an original air cleaner.  I already have a spare set of VHB30s and the boot for those, so I might go that way.  I'm not thrilled about the honk of pods on my other Eldo, as the exhaust is so quiet that the intake drowns it out.  We'll see.

I know the DB Bags are great, but really like the look of the Wixom bags.  Might sell these and make the change, or see if someone wants to swap.

Cheers.
Shaun

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 03:20:38 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline cj750

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Viva tutte le cose Italiane"
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 10:45:06 AM »
Please? Pretty please?

Jay

Charlie, thanks for the info on cables and the boot.  I actually still have the original and could send it off to CSM/Klaus Designs.  Probably not enough of a market, though.

Cheers.
Shaun
Then again, when I was watching Predator I didn't think two members of its cast would become governors, either. So you never know.

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 11:06:47 AM »
Please? Pretty please?

Jay

Geez , how can anyone deny such a polite request  :laugh:

Dusty

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 11:07:16 AM »

Cheers to all who provided info on the Amals.  Sounds like they could work just fine, bit I will need to decide if it is more important to have the bike stock, or with and original air cleaner.  I already have a spare set of VHB30s and the boot for those, so I might go that way.  I'm not thrilled about the honk of pods on my other Eldo, as the exhaust is so quiet that the intake drowns it out.  We'll see.

If you could have Greg repop the boot, that would be great - a real benefit to anyone with an Amal equipped Eldo.

I prefer VHBs over Amals and the stock airbox over pods. Plus, it'll cheaper and easier for you to use the 30s. No sending the Amals away to be sleeved, buying floats etc. Plus the boot and cables are readily available.
Charlie

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 03:23:35 PM »
Please? Pretty please?

Jay

I've sent a note to Greg asking if he would consider it.  Will let you know what he says.  We might need to poll the community to test interest in case he needs a certain minimum order quantity.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 04:10:21 PM »
I've sent a note to Greg asking if he would consider it.  Will let you know what he says.  We might need to poll the community to test interest in case he needs a certain minimum order quantity.

Cheers,
Shaun

He's never needed a minimum order quantity before. If he had, then the frame-to-airbox boot and carb-to-frame elbows for early Cagiva Elefants (and Ducati Indianas) wouldn't have been done.  :wink:
Charlie

canuck750

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 04:23:19 PM »
Hi Shaun,

If you are going to have the Eldo / Amal carb boot reproduced I would take one, the 73 4LS Eldo I picked up last year has the Amals but no boot.

Thanks

Jim

Offline cj750

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Viva tutte le cose Italiane"
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 04:34:24 PM »
I'll buy one, and a spare. If there are costs involved in sending the original to Greg, I'll gladly reimburse you those. Just want to finally get rid of the #@*% pod filters.

Jay
Then again, when I was watching Predator I didn't think two members of its cast would become governors, either. So you never know.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 06:40:24 PM »
He's never needed a minimum order quantity before. If he had, then the frame-to-airbox boot and carb-to-frame elbows for early Cagiva Elefants (and Ducati Indianas) wouldn't have been done.  :wink:

Yep, that's a pretty small market!   :wink:

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 06:42:27 PM »
I'll let you all know what Greg's response is.  I might not use the Amals myself, but am more than happy to help reproduce them for those who would like to.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Online Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 07:52:17 PM »
Nothing wrong with Amals, buy new ones from British cycle supply in Nova Scotia. The last pair I bought was less than $ 300.00 CDN this summer. Keep it correct! Civilian Eldo's with disc brake are a rare form don't screw with it. DonG

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 08:15:36 PM »
Nothing wrong with Amals, buy new ones from British cycle supply in Nova Scotia. The last pair I bought was less than $ 300.00 CDN this summer. Keep it correct! Civilian Eldo's with disc brake are a rare form don't screw with it. DonG

Hi, Don.

Well, a little research indicates that Greg of CSM is willing to reproduce the intake boot (assuming mine is good enough for a pattern), and it appears that MG Cycle has ready-made cables for Amals now:

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=135_137&products_id=863

So, I might just do as you suggest, and keep them. 

While I will plan to keep the bike fairly original, there are some changes I will likely make, including 88mm Gilardonis (while I'm in there), a F09 caliper with smaller master cylinder, Yamaha YHA206 switchgear, Scrambler Cycle alternator kit, Ikon shocks, and FAC/Wirth upgrade for the suspension.   These are all things that will increase the usability of the bike, without changing anything permanently, and I will keep all the original parts.

Smiley, SK looks like a really nice place, and not really at risk of overcrowding!  I'm jealous!!

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

canuck750

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 08:56:44 PM »
Great upgrade choices Shaun. The FAC / Progressive conversion has been a great upgrade on my Eldo.

If you need help machining  the fork cap bolts to accept the FAC dampers let me know

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 09:53:16 PM »
Great upgrade choices Shaun. The FAC / Progressive conversion has been a great upgrade on my Eldo.

If you need help machining  the fork cap bolts to accept the FAC dampers let me know

Thanks, Jim.

It's interesting that you retained the disc brake fork plugs rather than converting to drum brake plugs like I did on my other Eldo.  I'll have to go back and find your thread on the Eldo and look at how you did that!

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

canuck750

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 10:05:37 PM »
The plug conversion is posted on This Old Tractor, not too difficult. The twin EBC discs don't tool stock nut the stopping power is up to modern standards.

Cheers

Jim

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2015, 10:31:39 PM »
Got it, thanks.

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Online Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2015, 10:46:05 AM »
Shaun if you would like a decent rubber to copy, I could lend you one if you would like, I will see if I can dig one out, it came off of a civilian 74 Eldo. DonG

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2015, 11:09:02 AM »
Thanks, Don.  I'll see if what I have wil do, and will get in contact if we need a better one.  Should know within the next few weeks.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Online steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 01:45:06 PM »

"Well, a little research indicates that Greg of CSM is willing to reproduce the intake boot (assuming mine is good enough for a pattern), and it appears that MG Cycle has ready-made cables for Amals now:"

If you find out if they can make them please keep me posted I would be interested in a pair.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 02:25:40 PM »
"Well, a little research indicates that Greg of CSM is willing to reproduce the intake boot (assuming mine is good enough for a pattern), and it appears that MG Cycle has ready-made cables for Amals now:"

If you find out if they can make them please keep me posted I would be interested in a pair.

Will do.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2015, 07:51:48 PM »
Sorry to take some time to come back on this, but Greg has indicated that he will reproduce  the Amal boot.   :cool:  I sent him pictures of mine, and he indicates that he can make it work, but it is not perfect (it has cracks in it, and one missing chunk).  So, before I send it off to him, I thought I would check and see if anyone has one that might be better.

Here is what mine looks like:

Let me know if you have something that will work better.

Cheers,
Shaun
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 07:53:44 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here