Author Topic: What's The Best Way To Break-In A New Engine?  (Read 9931 times)

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
What's The Best Way To Break-In A New Engine?
« on: November 30, 2015, 04:36:09 PM »
The Short Answer: Run it Hard!  :popcorn:

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

oldbike54

Re: What's The Best Way To Break-In A New Engine?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 04:44:23 PM »
 Uh , he is just repeating what many have been saying for years , nothing new or controversial here . However , following the manufacturers recommendations is still not a bad idea . The world is full of internet geniuses , sorry .

Dusty

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 04:49:55 PM »
Do what you like.......... When I picked up the new Dodge Avenger in 2012 with that Pentastar engine, I proceeded to run it very hard immediately. After 38,000 miles she runs strong and burns no oil.   :thumb:

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 04:55:30 PM »
Do what you like.......... When I picked up the new Dodge Avenger in 2012 with that Pentastar engine, I proceeded to run it very hard immediately. After 38,000 miles she runs strong and burns no oil.   :thumb:

Don't doubt that , most modern motors don't need any real break in . However , I will bet  money that following the manufacturers guidelines will give the same results . This guy making claims that pro mechanics have torn down engines that employed his method sounds like internet BS .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 04:55:30 PM »

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 05:06:05 PM »
Don't doubt that , most modern motors don't need any real break in . However , I will bet  money that following the manufacturers guidelines will give the same results . This guy making claims that pro mechanics have torn down engines that employed his method sounds like internet BS .

Dusty

Yet following manufacturers guidelines for break-in is NO fun!  :boozing:

Offline FGO

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 05:12:12 PM »
Try breaking a Ural that way, you will end up will a pile of molten slag  :evil:
Jon

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 05:15:49 PM »
don't baby them, ride it like you stole it as soon as its warm!

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 05:19:03 PM »
don't baby them, ride it like you stole it as soon as its warm!

Yup.  :boozing:

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 05:25:14 PM »
 So... just what are you guys basing this theory on ? Do you have degrees in engineering , or are you pro mechanics , or is this "run it like you stole it" based on some internet site full of ridiculous claims ?
I've been hearing this since at least about 1970 , no scientific evidence of its veracity has ever been shown to me that it is true .

Dusty

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 05:30:31 PM »
So... just what are you guys basing this theory on ? Do you have degrees in engineering , or are you pro mechanics , or is this "run it like you stole it" based on some internet site full of ridiculous claims ?
I've been hearing this since at least about 1970 , no scientific evidence of its veracity has ever been shown to me that it is true .

Dusty

It's just what I do, my engines run strong.

New corvette engines are tested by running them wide open continually for over a Month (non-stop).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:31:11 PM by Cool Runnings »

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 05:35:17 PM »
It's just what I do, my engines run strong.

New corvette engines are tested by running them wide open continually for over a Month (non-stop).

New corvette engines are tested by running them wide open continually for over a Month (non-stop).  Ok, that sounds amazing, can you site a source for this outlandish claim?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 05:37:22 PM »
New corvette engines are tested by running them wide open continually for over a Month (non-stop).  Ok, that sounds amazing, can you site a source for this outlandish claim?

:1: I couldn't find anything about this , sounds like BS to me .

Dusty

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 05:54:08 PM »
Wow! Winter set in early this year.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 06:10:44 PM »

Dusty

C'mon Dusty.. you're Shirley  :smiley: familiar with the BMWs glazing up and burning oil when the old farts "babied" them on break in after BMW went to chrome.
Here's what you do with a chrome airplane engine.
Start it up and check for leaks. No leaks, ok..
*Tow* it to the end of the runway. No idling.
Start it up and firewall the throttle.
Climb at a low angle to keep airspeed up and cooling air going through the engine.
Maintain WFO.
Oil and cyl head temp will climb, and maybe go a little over redline.  :shocked:
In about 45 minutes, temps will start to fall.
At that point, the engine is broken in. I've done it several times..
If you don't do it, the cylinders will glaze up and never break in. That's just the way it is..

Ride it like you stole it. Lots of full throttle (ring pressure on the bores) followed by closed throttle to lube the cylinder bores. Don't sit on the interstate for 2 hours at the same rpm, just loafing along.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 06:11:07 PM »
Wow! Winter set in early this year.

:1:

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 06:14:45 PM »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

George_S

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 06:21:28 PM »
My last couple of new bikes, the Owner's manual said don't give it more than 80% throttle until the first service- (Usually around the 600 mile mark) and don't ride for 'extended periods' at one engine speed.

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 06:22:54 PM »
C'mon Dusty.. you're Shirley  :smiley: familiar with the BMWs glazing up and burning oil when the old farts "babied" them on break in after BMW went to chrome.
Here's what you do with a chrome airplane engine.
Climb at a low angle to keep airspeed up and cooling air going through the engine.
Maintain WFO.
Oil and cyl head temp will climb, and maybe go a little over redline.  :shocked:
If you don't do it, the cylinders will glaze up and never break in. That's just the way it is..

Ride it like you stole it. Lots of full throttle (ring pressure on the bores) followed by closed throttle to lube the cylinder bores. Don't sit on the interstate for 2 hours at the same rpm, just loafing along.

Uh , I never said to baby them . Yeah , the nikasil BMW engines did require a different break in than the old iron liners , but the manuals recommended a certain procedure , and the mostly old farts that rode beemers chose to ignore that new procedure , thought they were smarter than the engineers (sound familiar :evil:) . Hell , maybe the manuals do call for this "run it like you stole it" method  :laugh:

Dusty

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »
 Oh , it isn't really Winter until someone starts an oil ,tire or countersteering thread , sheesh , some of you guys have REALLY short memories  :laugh:

Dusty

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 07:00:58 PM »
When I rebuilt my Norton Commando, I couldn't get the rings to seat, so off with the air filters, fired it up, gave it some throttle and threw in the Bon Ami, suckers seated quite nicely, then changed the oil.    Many years ago, I met Rich Maund on a Ural site, he's the one that got me into Guzzi's.  Back then the primary break in suggestion for Urals was to pull off the cylinders, chuck them up and face them so they were parallel from one end to the other, and perpendicular to the bore..... Ah, the good ole days......

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 07:26:04 PM »

I cannot recall hearing that when I toured the Tonawanda plant, where the LT1 is produced, last summer. They do lmbed the main bearings with a polymer for a 300,000 mile life cycle.

Follow Up:  test engines were subjected to full throttle blasts to the equivalent of 120 mph for hundreds of hours.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 07:43:39 PM by John Ulrich »
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

oldbike54

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 07:48:02 PM »
I cannot recall hearing that when I toured the Tonawanda plant, where the LT1 is produced, last summer. They do lmbed the main bearings with a polymer for a 300,000 mile life cycle.

Follow Up:  test engines were subjected to full throttle blasts to the equivalent of 120 mph for hundreds of hours.

So "blasts", not constant full throttle running ?

Dusty

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 07:52:26 PM »
Maintain WFO.

I've done break-ins on two a/c engines after rebuild -- the Continental 235 in our CAP C-182, and the O-540 in my Comanche. In both cases the manufacturer's procedure is as Chuck advises. In both cases I had to take off from airports above 5000 feet so I never got 100% MP, but I ran the engines WFO for more than an hour and that seemed to do the trick . . .
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 08:11:19 PM »
So "blasts", not constant full throttle running ?

Correct ...on test mules.  Consumer motors get a quick "run-in" at the factory (not using gas) and again at the assembly plant at the end of the line.   With the automatic, 2 shifts in "blast mode" put you at 85 mph faster then a L88 did in the 60's.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

canuguzzi

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 09:31:39 PM »
OK, who on earth believes motorcycle engines are built to the same specs and service requirements as aircraft engines? Geesh, are we swallowing hard today or what?

It takes about a week of riding to get through the manufacturers recommended break-in period.

If anyone thinks an engine that runs great after 30-50k miles is something to brag about, it isn't.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:34:03 PM by Norge Pilot »

Offline creaky99

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 05:12:28 AM »
I've been using the basic theory of the mototune method for a lot of years, works every time.
Once you go over the hill, you pick up speed!

'98 Moto Guzzi EV11

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 05:18:49 AM »
Oh , it isn't really Winter until someone starts an oil ,tire or countersteering thread , sheesh , some of you guys have REALLY short memories  :laugh:

Dusty

What is the best tire when you find yourself counter steering through an oil spill and does it make a difference if the oil is synthetic or dino?

There, that ought to do it!
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 07:17:56 AM »
Running in an engine concerns the piston bores although with desmo valve mechanism may also require run in. Pushrods add some other consideration, when to retorque, check clearances.

With DLC rings and bench tested modern engines there's really no need.

A more interesting topic would be how run in a rebuilt old engine, considering differnt bore and ring technology over past half century.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 07:39:43 AM »
Flat tappet motors like Guzzis need zinc in their oil for full protection. This is MOST critical during breakin. Cylinders glazing can be an issue if you run too easy, but hard acceleration to half redline and then chopping the throttle can get most rings to seat.

I for one always break in my motors on street bikes. When I was racing, I'd be lucky to get a lap or two (4 or 5 miles). There was a whole ritual for breaking in new rear gears on a Guzzi too.

Spend your money, take your chances. I do believe that folks that say "ride it like you stole it" are just lazy.

All that said, how many of us keep our bikes for 200,000 miles? Does breakin make the difference between getting 100,000 and 200,000?

YMMV
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 07:42:37 AM »
OK, who on earth believes motorcycle engines are built to the same specs and service requirements as aircraft engines?

Actually, they're better.. airplane engines are an antique design.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here