Author Topic: Appliance repair  (Read 10877 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Appliance repair
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2016, 07:02:34 PM »
The electric company is not that advanced out here.  If they were that efficient then they would cut into their profits.

That's the advantage of a user-owned cooperative.   There AREN'T any profits.   The cheaper it is for the user, the happier EVERYONE is ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2016, 07:06:44 PM »
We don't have the option.  There was a proposed sale of the electric companies in Hawaii to a FL conglomerate.  Fortunately, the Governor came out against it and the state PUC disapproved the sale.  Only thing that came to mind when there's a sale.  Someone sees a way to turn a profit after the sale.  Higher rates for usage.  Kauai has a coop type set-up for electricity.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2016, 09:50:39 PM »
We don't have the option.  There was a proposed sale of the electric companies in Hawaii to a FL conglomerate.  Fortunately, the Governor came out against it and the state PUC disapproved the sale.  Only thing that came to mind when there's a sale.  Someone sees a way to turn a profit after the sale.  Higher rates for usage.  Kauai has a coop type set-up for electricity.

Where we live(golf Assoc.) our electricity is via a coop we belong to as customers.   Those in the local city get their electricity from a   private company just taken  over by a Canadian Electric Co.  Our rates are low and their rates are going up.  :evil:

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2016, 11:30:49 PM »
I installed a tankless, on-demand hot water heater.  18Kw!  Whoda thunk the same energy used for welding your bike frame could be used to heat everyday water?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2016, 11:30:49 PM »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2016, 12:05:03 AM »
I installed a tankless, on-demand hot water heater.  18Kw!  Whoda thunk the same energy used for welding your bike frame could be used to heat everyday water?

Is that how they work........I wondered.   Couldn't imagine they were for real.   :laugh:   OTOH, ever since I was in the US Navy I take Navy showers.  :smiley:

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2016, 06:49:22 AM »
It btakes a lot of juice to reheat a cold tank over and over.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2016, 07:05:52 AM »
I service my washing machine about once every 3 years.
it's lasted 12 years with a large family and no signs it's going to fail.

Tips:
never buy a combined washer drier
buy quality brand
buy a 1600 spin but only ever use on 1400,
do the ocasional 90 degree wash
keep the soap draw clean
service by removing all the rubber pipes and cleaning them out

alternatively buy the cheapest and throw it away/replace every 3rd year.
(or every other year)
somehow though I dont like that disposable attitude.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2016, 07:34:30 AM »
It btakes a lot of juice to reheat a cold tank over and over.

We did the math - the local "instant" units would not work for us.
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2016, 09:25:26 AM »
Still, allowing the water to go cold and then heat it again is costly. And requiring your tenant to pull the breaker is not only unfair to them, as has been pointed out by others is unsafe.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

oldbike54

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2016, 10:00:51 AM »
Still, allowing the water to go cold and then heat it again is costly. And requiring your tenant to pull the breaker is not only unfair to them, as has been pointed out by others is unsafe.

Seems maybe Tom isn't "requiring" the tenants to turn off the power , just a stop gap suggestion to keep the usage down until he can sort this out .

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2016, 03:56:12 PM »
The practicality of tankless heaters depends on a lot of things -- how much water is used in a day, how many people are using it, how many at once, is the incoming cold water temp high enough to 'lift' the temp to hot-water standards, what power is available at the breaker box, etc.  For me the math was in my favor -- one person using a showers's and dishes' worth of hot water a day.  I go for days at a time using none.  So heating it for my incidental use only seems like a $$$ saver.  The problem is I'll never know.  I installed it last winter, haven't been home much since, and am moving out.  Maybe the next tenant will tell me.

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2016, 04:23:54 PM »
Seems maybe Tom isn't "requiring" the tenants to turn off the power , just a stop gap suggestion to keep the usage down until he can sort this out .

Dusty

"I'll put a timer in when I have the time."  LOOKS LIKE TOMORROW!!!!  Yes, a disservice to  the tenant.  They pay the electric bill.  Leave it on while not home and heat the water.  DID I MENTION THAT LAST MONTH'S ELECTRIC BILL IS $224 FOR 3 PEOPLE???  It's the smaller 20 gallon water heater for a condo unit.

THANK YOU FOR THE ADMONISHMENT ON TELLING THE TENANT TO USE THE BREAKER TO TURN OFF THE HEATER TILL I CAN PUT AN INLINE TIMER ON THE WATER HEATER.  Hopefully that makes it clear.  :grin: :grin: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2016, 04:42:01 PM »
I thought about a tankless heater but the cost vs. what I have in a rental unit right now isn't worth the work to install.  Possibility when the heater is totally dead and needs replacing.

I did have a Paloma inline propane heater on the house when I lived by myself.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2016, 05:55:03 PM »
I thought about a tankless heater but the cost vs. what I have in a rental unit right now isn't worth the work to install.  Possibility when the heater is totally dead and needs replacing.

I did have a Paloma inline propane heater on the house when I lived by myself.

I was going to suggest RVs have 5 gal. propane WHs and if you used it like I do (Navy showers) it would be economical.   In the summertime we pay $1.99/gal. for propane, $2.49 in winter time.

I just ordered a 4.5Kw portable generator that uses, gasoline/propane for fuel for our blackouts for $325 delivered.   :smiley:   Our house runs propane for heat/WH as does our Toyhauler.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 06:06:27 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2016, 05:59:25 PM »
At the house.  I have solar panels connected to a 50 gallon (IIRC) water heater w/electric back up.  Electric bill dropped about 1/3 after hooking everything up.   :thumb:

Offline dee g

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2016, 10:02:01 PM »
Well, quite.  How else is the service guy going to make the payments on a $40,000 truck?

The appliance store we bought the set from has a whole fleet of 10 year old GMC vans.  :)

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2016, 01:13:24 PM »
At one point, I was considering doing appliance repair for the exotic brands that are installed in the mansions around here.  Service contracts etc.  Good money and clean work.  Still an option.  A quick search with friends in the real estate management business, say that they bring people in from Honolulu for installation of high end appliances.  No repair work.  Commercial kitchen grade appliances.  Easy work.  Only problem is that you have carry them for 3 months after invoicing unless you can get their management firm to get a cc.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here